Jake Gittes

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City | June 16, 2023 | Rated PG-13 for graphic nudity

I find it hard to rank his movies. I have a ton of nostalgia for his first four, Rushmore or Tenenbaums are probably my favorites and after that I feel like I just like them all equally except for Darjeeling which is his weakest. 

Anyways this looks good and I'm hyped for it, I'm obviously a fan of his stuff. If you're not a fan of his stuff there's no reason to believe this is gonna covert you, that's pretty much how it is with his movies now. It's interesting that there's a bunch of big names that aren't shown in the trailer. Probably means they're pretty small roles but I'm interested to see what they'll be.

grand budapest and fantastic mr fox are the only ones i feel strongly about. the rest are shrugs. guess i've never hated his films but mostly watch them and then don't think about them. haven't seen bottle rocket or darjeeling. 

Edited by CoolioD1

Never saw his earlier classics, as dysfunctional family schtick (and no other hook) didn't really interest me, but Moonrise Kingdom floored me and I'm excited for this one. I was initially pumped for French Dispatch until I heard it was an anthology. His choice of setting/story is often not up my alley, but this one certainly is

Edited by tonytr87

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hmmmm, unusual decision from an American ratings board. I bet the "graphic" element is due to a painting/statue, or possibly a nonhuman? I mean, the under-13s and the strait-laced types aren't a big part of the Wes Anderson demo. The rating wouldn't hurt the box office here, so to bother appealing, the studio had to think the MPA was being ridiculous.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm curious to know what the graphic nudity is, maybe someone streaking or maybe life drawing?

In the trailer Scarlett Johansson's character says she does a nude scene... ijs we can dream

Somewhat related, god bless Lea Seydoux in The French Dispatch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

In the trailer Scarlett Johansson's character says she does a nude scene... ijs we can dream

Somewhat related, god bless Lea Seydoux in The French Dispatch

I read on HSX it's allegedly male frontal nudity

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=568705

As for the trailer, almost everyone speaking in the same monotone cadence is extremely unnerving.

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I read on HSX it's allegedly male frontal nudity

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=568705

As for the trailer, almost everyone speaking in the same monotone cadence is extremely unnerving.

Yup that's how Wes Anderson characters talk lol. I'm a big fan of his but sometimes when I watch his movies the speech patterns can take some adjusting to get used to.

27 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Yup that's how Wes Anderson characters talk lol. I'm a big fan of his but sometimes when I watch his movies the speech patterns can take some adjusting to get used to.

I've seen all but two of his films but this is the most pervasive I can recall except maybe Moonrise which unlike others is not a favorite of mine.  Hackman, Murray, Fiennes and even Clooney as fox voices have too much personality and flexibility to be sucked into monotone land.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11996599/Gen-Z-recreates-Wes-Anderson-movies-new-TikTok-trend.html

Not sure if anyone realise but there has been a tiktok phenomenon that utilise or referring Anderson' artistic style in their content video. This is an unexpected viral that probably introduce Wes Anderson to Gen Y and Z. Who know we got to see this translate to some BO bump. 

• Like 1