Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

My guess is that maybe one, two, possibly three movies get their release dates pushed back, but the chances of another March 12, 2020 meltdown occurring all over again seems very, very small.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

People act like all the millions of people watching the movie on streaming or for free are an entirely different audience from the ones that normally buy a ticket.   NO, THEY ARE THE SAME AUDIENCE. 

Whilst I agree this opening isn’t good, it’s not like the audience it’s for isn’t seeing it. 

Guess how much F9 and AQP2 would have opened to if they were free on HBO Max? Nowhere near what they did. 

Guess how much BW, JC, Cruella would have made if they were free on Disney+? Not that much!!

I don’t understand all this ‘cinema is dying’ attitude. We should be encouraged that free streaming day and dates are chomping into what they should be doing at the box office. It’s clear evidence they can’t really work side by side. 

If TSS was on HBO Max with a $30 price tag we would be talking about a $50 million opening weekend. 

No charge to watch the movie on a streaming service = box office disaster. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, iHeartJames said:

Then why is it the highest grossing film domestically? we all know if it wasn't pirated to hell it would have had even a bigger opening weekend. Don't ever reply to my comments with dumb shit I'll track your IP and slit your fucking throat 

Aaannnnd reported.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

People act like all the millions of people watching the movie on streaming or for free are an entirely different audience from the ones that normally buy a ticket.   NO, THEY ARE THE SAME AUDIENCE. 

Whilst I agree this opening isn’t good, it’s not like the audience it’s for isn’t seeing it. 

Guess how much F9 and AQP2 would have opened to if they were free on HBO Max? Nowhere near what they did. 

Guess how much BW, JC, Cruella would have made if they were free on Disney+? Not that much!!

I don’t understand all this ‘cinema is dying’ attitude. We should be encouraged that free streaming day and dates are chomping into what they should be doing at the box office. It’s clear evidence they can’t really work side by side. 

If TSS was on HBO Max with a $30 price tag we would be talking about a $50 million opening weekend. 

Exactly where is your proof that the people who pirated these films would have gone to buy a ticket at the theater. In many cases pirates are pirates for a reason because they don't want to pay for things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Godzilla vs. Kong made over $100M despite being available for "free" the same time as theaters. A lot less than what it would have made in normal times obviously, but still impressive given the circumstances. The main takeaway from these simultaneous releases is that if people still really want to see a movie in theaters, they will if even if it's available for free via a streaming subscription. The Suicide Squad's numbers are only confirming that it had a lot of baggage to overcome in terms of approaching even 1/3 the opening of the 2016 movie in any scenario.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Exactly where is your proof that the people who pirated these films would have gone to buy a ticket at the theater. In many cases pirates are pirates for a reason because they don't want to pay for things. 

i can only speak of close friends. I’m sure many others on here would attest to knowing people who have watched many of this year’s big movies for free when they know they’d have normally bought a ticket. 

I can only speak of my friends who see a CAM as a no go, but a HDR 4K digital version as the real thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Godzilla vs. Kong made over $100M despite being available for "free" the same time as theaters. A lot less than what it would have made in normal times obviously, but still impressive given the circumstances. The main takeaway from these simultaneous releases is that if people still really want to see a movie in theaters, they will if even if it's available for free via a streaming subscription. The Suicide Squad's numbers are only confirming that it had a lot of baggage to overcome in terms of approaching even 1/3 the opening of the 2016 movie in any scenario.

i think we severely underestimated how big GvK might have been. 

• Like 1

some moveis are definitely moving. Matrix 4 for example I think will move. Has a shitty release date anyway (same day as Spider-Man I believe?) and doesn't even have a title let alone a production still released. No Time to Die and Top Gun are other good contenders to move

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

i can only speak of close friends. I’m sure many others on here would attest to knowing people who have watched many of this year’s big movies for free when they know they’d have normally bought a ticket. 

I can only speak of my friends who see a CAM as a no go, but a HDR 4K digital version as the real thing. 

Trying to say that the box office numbers we are seeing are completely due to streaming or pirating is a very faulty narrative when you are basing it mainly off of what you and your close friends think (and I assume that many of these close friends you are referring to are big theater buffs also who are a little bitter about what is transpiring).