Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

5 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Man, I gotta watch more Ryan Reynolds films. I’ve never heard of this movie before in my life.

You should give Change-up a go. A film where a baby shits into Jason Bateman's mouth,

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

If Venom 2 manages to makes money, that would possibly confirm that even the 2018 movie wasn’t as toxic and hated as the 2016 Suicide Squad. Then again, maybe that would just mean that Sony did a good job of fooling people into thinking it’s part of the MCU. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If Venom 2 manages to makes money, that would possibly confirm that even the 2018 movie wasn’t as toxic and hated as the 2016 Suicide Squad. Then again, maybe that would just mean that Sony did a good job of fooling people into thinking it’s part of the MCU. 

Venom was bad but totally passable. I think it had a much better reception than SS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Venom was bad but totally passable. I think it had a much better reception than SS.

I always just sort of assumed they were in similar boats, but it does seem like the general consensus on the first Suicide Squad has soured over the years. Back when it first came out, there were a number of people who seemed willing to give it a pass when compared to BvS, but nowadays, a lot of people genuinely consider it to be one of the worst CBMs ever made. 

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay another question.

How does Netflix thrive with moderately big budgeted movies without theaters or DVDs?

They make these movies at a loss and use subscription revenue to basically pay for their budgets

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Venom has two things going for it that Suicide Squad didn't. It's short, so you don't have time to get sick of it for the most part, and Tom Hardy is soooooooooo much fun to watch. 

Suicide Squad is only 10 minutes longer. 

31 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Or it confirms that TSS is tanking because of the movie itself and not because of the completely unsubstantiated notion that the first SS was universally hated

Venom and 2016 SS have similar RT scores and if you include China to the latter, similar box office

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

i can only speak of close friends. I’m sure many others on here would attest to knowing people who have watched many of this year’s big movies for free when they know they’d have normally bought a ticket. 

I can only speak of my friends who see a CAM as a no go, but a HDR 4K digital version as the real thing. 

Well of course some of the people who watch for free would go to the theatre.  But there are two other sub groups.  Those that would watch something on a tv for free but this isn't something that would attract them to a movie theatre (Both my sisters family fall into this category), then there are the people who might pay to watch it at home, but still wouldn't go to the movie for it (this is what my brother and his family would do , if there was a charge for it like Black Widow).   

And rationally there is literally no way to judge how large any of these three groups would be.

For myself, I have liked some DC releases, but hated Suicide Squad.  After that there is no way I would pay a movie ticket to watch this film, regardless of word of mouth or reviews.  I would rent it on home market or a streaming type service, I wouldn't pay 30 for it though.   And this is all regardless of Covid.  But I absolutely watched it at home, and I really rather enjoyed its, but there are a handful of scenes that make me very glad I didn't see it in a theatre.  So you can add me and my spouse to the category who because of the last release, wouldn't go to see this at the movies (and we are both comic readers, though neither of us are into much comedy in comics, so there is that).

I've been reading comics for 40 plus years, I a really love to see a property do well.  But take Marvel's Thor.  I liked the first Thor, but it has its problems, and I didn't like Thor the Dark World.  If it wasn't for the Avengers, I probably wouldn't have gone to the movies to see Thor 3.  But since I liked what Hensworth was doing with the character especially when you add the Avengers film, it was enough to change my mind.  

If something is bad in my mind, it takes a lot of either build up good will from other sources, or I won't go to the movies to see a sequel or continuation of it.

I mean I am a bed wetting die hard Star Trek fan.  And if I didn't have decades of built up love for the characters, there is literally no way I would have watched the majority of Trek films (generally think they work better on tv then film), and some have been utterly awful.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Suicide Squad is only 10 minutes longer. 

I feel as if this fact should probably help emphasise how bas SS was. I was convinced that film was a whole 2 and a half hours.

• Like 3

James Gunn has been a bit quiet on socials today.

Honestly this film had such an uphill battle before the pandemic anyway with the bad reception of the first one. Calling it The Suicide Squad in the first place was a big mistake.

The film is good though and the reception of those who have seen it was really positive so that’s a win.

36 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay another question.

How does Netflix thrive with moderately big budgeted movies without theaters or DVDs?

2 big reasons.  Because the bulk of what they release is rather cheap, they can afford to spend a higher amounts for a handful of properties, and just use those big ticket projects, be it tv or film to help increase their overall year round subscription base.

And because they are a publicly traded company, stocks really help keep new businesses or businesses which are changing flush in cash, as stock buyers aren't judging you from the perspective of today or yesterday but how they see the future of the industry.

Its how Amazon serviced for years when they were losing money hand over fist.  Or how Tesla's stock is over the moon, its because its were investors see the market going longterm.

That's how studios are seeing their streaming services, they are looking for a profit today or even near in the future, they are looking years and decades into the future.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think people were surprised how fun Venom was. Whereas Suicide Squad left people disappointed. 

The trailers for TSS kind of made it look more fun than the movie actually is. I've seen people talking about getting bored in the second act and maybe the finale is too weird for some?

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think people were surprised how fun Venom was. Whereas Suicide Squad left people disappointed. 

Agree. TSS made me laugh a few times. But behind were a young female who laughed at everything. Seriously. Every minute something “funniest thing ever!l happend.  Kinda ruined it for me a bit. It was`ent THAT funny.

Venom was okay for me. Nothing more. But i must admit that V2 looks like a blast and i will be there OD

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The trailers for TSS kind of made it look more fun than the movie actually is. I've seen people talking about getting bored in the second act and maybe the finale is too weird for some?

9 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Agree. TSS made me laugh a few times. But behind were a young female who laughed at everything. Seriously. Every minute something “funniest thing ever!l happend.  Kinda ruined it for me a bit. It was`ent THAT funny.

Venom was okay for me. Nothing more. But i must admit that V2 looks like a blast and i will be there OD

We’re talking about the first Suicide Squad.