Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

No numbers so far suggest that and neither does audience reception.

Reading the audience reviews it seems some people just don’t like the concept of The Suicide Squad (ie the characters you get attached to dying). Seems WB picked the wrong DC team to try and make a franchise out of . I think Teen Titans would have been a far stronger choice as it’s probably their second biggest team, right behind Justice League. If they wanted an anti hero team they could have done The Outsiders! Though a villain centric film about the Legion of Doom wood have been amazing! 

• Like 1

Just now, El Gato said:

Reading the audience reviews it seems some people just don’t like the concept of The Suicide Squad (ie the characters you get attached to dying). Seems WB picked the wrong DC team to try and make a franchise out of . I think Teen Titans would have been a far stronger choice as it’s probably their second biggest team, right behind Justice League. If they wanted an anti hero team they could have done The Outsiders! Though a villain centric film about the Legion of Doom wood have been amazing! 

Maybe they thought Guardians of the Galaxy worked so why not ?? Reading through the development of first movie , major casting started when Guardians became a breakout hit. 

I think GP was fine with 2016 SS because that movie turn the villains into anti-heroes at maximum, all of them get a "sad backstory" and didn't do anything really bad. Maybe that explains why it's so appealing back then, it's way easier to like them and root for them.

Now that we got a movie that actually make justice to the characters with real dubious people, with strong evil choices, political subtext and lots of violence, people reject. Despite the slighty restrictive humour and tone that Gunn put into the movie, i think this explains the so so reception from audiences.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I think GP was fine with 2016 SS because that movie turn the villains into anti-heroes at maximum, all of them get a "sad backstory" and didn't do anything really bad. Maybe that explains why it's so appealing back then.

Yeah pretty much , plus while movie was called very bad , it ended have nice legs after second weekend drop.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nova said:

audience reception, streaming numbers and box office numbers say otherwise. 

Being the 2nd biggest movie on Max so far is bad? Yeah it got beat by Mortal Kombat but not sure you can say that means its a bad thing unless you think blockbusters like GvK also under performed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobdysm said:

Being the 2nd biggest movie on Max so far is bad? Yeah it got beat by Mortal Kombat but not sure you can say that means its a bad thing unless you think blockbusters like GvK also under performed.

HBO MAX base has grown since GvK. GvK also had better box office and ended with 3x+ multiplier.

Mortal Kombat budget is less than half of TSS.

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

HBO MAX base has grown since GvK. GvK also had better box office and ended with 3x+ multiplier.

Mind you GvK had a 5-day opening. Movie would've had more like 2.5x multi (maybe lower) with a normal 3-day opening.

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I'm still not seeing how that shows that TSS streaming numbers were poor. Yes Max has grown since GvK, but we don't know the delta between Max viewership between it and TSS. It could potentially be more than the % increase in subs between that time (or it could be less, we both have no clue). All we know is TSS beat GvK in terms of viewership.

And if the only context we have is TSS did worse than MK, GvK also did worse than MK during a time when sub numbers wouldn't have increased drmatically (there was less than a month between GvK and Mortal Kombat), and GvK also had a substantially higher budget as well and still had less viewers. Yes GvK had a bigger boxoffice than TSS and MK, but I think its still very up in the air the exact LTV of viewership on HBO Max and how that relates to acquisition/churn for individual titles and how that compares to boxoffice numbers (I don't think the people at Max even know). That's why my comment was focused on streaming numbers specifically.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

People here are still going with the "Mortal Kombat is the biggest release on HBO Max" narrative for some reason when it isn't true.

It very likely could be GvK but Samba is the best guess we have right now. I am surprised HBO MAX is not giving data to Nielsen like they did for WW84 atleast we could have some numbers.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Free Guy was great fun. So many good films this year. 

Between this and Shang-Chi two movies I will have to wait for 45 days to watch. :rant:Hopefully, Shang-Chi releases in theatre. 

Have not gone to theatres since GvK in April :raining:

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know, I haven’t really seen any movie/show touch MK 3 day numbers from Samba so I guess everything has done pretty mediocre the last few months then. 

Mortal Kombat franchise has a very big fanbase and appeal to general audience  , WB is not utilizing it the right way. 

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Between this and Shang-Chi two movies I will have to wait for 45 days to watch. :rant:Hopefully, Shang-Chi releases in theatre. 

Have not gone to theatres since GvK in April :raining:

That’s a shame. I saw Free Guy on the SuperScreen, it’s so loud and looks great. 

Mariah deserves to be heard in the best sound system possible 😂

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1