WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

19 minutes ago, Eric Robitaille said:

IIRC, there was a Variety article or whatever a couple weeks back that basically said all of the WB actors got their backend deals paid off due to HBO Max, including Keanu Reeves. I think if they did it now, it would basically lead to even more negotiations and/or complicated deal situations, or they just can't back out of it because it was already taken care of.

Yeah, this is why I think they won't move Matrix 4. They already payed Keanu the compensation. Delaying it would need new deals with the cast.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, this is why I think they won't move Matrix 4. They already payed Keanu the compensation. Delaying it would need new deals with the cast.

I could be totally wrong and it is in good part on impression, but I am not sure it is that (or particularly fast) that actually money get into people bank account.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Now some bad news.  Vaccine passports are coming fast and furious to Canada.  BC, Quebec and now Ontario (about 27 of the 37 million people) are now vax passport provinces.  This means that about 25% of the population will not be able to go to a movie theatre.  I'm not sure how many states are going to follow suit.   But here, it's getting pretty draconian.  

Not for long if that the case, those place are getting close to 90% of the 13+ population being vaccinated (one dose) and they will rapidly become fully vaccinated.

Less than 17% of Canadian the pass would apply are completely unvaccinated (and those numbers are more than a week old now) and those province are among the most vaccinated.

@Blankments @lorddemaxus

This was the article I was talking about:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/biggest-movie-star-salaries-daniel-craig-dwayne-johnson-1235043305/

However with a re-read, it says Keanu's streaming buyout hasn't happened yet and he is only just entitled to it. I guess that means it could still move? Or they are still finalizing negotiations? Who knows!

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Robitaille said:

Also, how the hell did Chris Pine get paid almost quadruple Battinson lmao

Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson doesn’t care about the money or glory, just the art. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:19 AM, Jake Gittes said:

The Descent? Not a major studio movie but still an accessible wide release.

Watched it last night and... yup. Movie is a gut-punch from the start to finish and never stops. Also feels like a film that should be shown in film classes on how to shoot in low-light (something so many cinematographers and filmmakers suck ass at today, which is espescially a problem for horror) because it's really incredible how every bit of action is visible even with such little light being used.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, poncho said:

I feel like this year the movies are struggling to see which one fails the least, except 'F9', all of which have failed so far

That's completely not true. A Quiet Place 2 also did incredibly well, The Conjuring 3 did quite well, Old did pretty well, Wrath of Man did surprisingly really well, etc

14 minutes ago, Eric Robitaille said:

Pine's paycheck is for Dungeons & Dragons lol

Maybe Pratt just has a better agent? Let’s remember the poster credits politicking which somehow favored him in IW.

Something I did want to ask about is the International numbers, especially for these WB movies.

Like it's obvious why their movies aren't performing well Domestically, but how come TSS just now crossed $100m internationally? I mean, obviously it has its own problems which we have gone into numerous times (no Will Smith, No Joker, etc), but still? How about Space Jam 2? How come that has done absolutely nothing internationally? Is it even gonna get a Chinese release date? 

I guess my question is is the international box office and coronavirus situation just as bad as it is in the US? Obviously Delta has been fucking everyone, but has it not gotten better in international countries? 

I think of something like Tenet from last year which, despite coming out in peak first wave of Covid, still did a fantastic $300m internationally

1 minute ago, Pinacolada said:

Something I did want to ask about is the International numbers, especially for these WB movies.

Like it's obvious why their movies aren't performing well Domestically, but how come TSS just now crossed $100m internationally? I mean, obviously it has its own problems which we have gone into numerous times (no Will Smith, No Joker, etc), but still? How about Space Jam 2? How come that has done absolutely nothing internationally? Is it even gonna get a Chinese release date? 

I guess my question is is the international box office and coronavirus situation just as bad as it is in the US? Obviously Delta has been fucking everyone, but has it not gotten better in international countries? 

I think of something like Tenet from last year which, despite coming out in peak first wave of Covid, still did a fantastic $300m internationally

I might be completely wrong/ignorant but I believe there’s many factors still in jeopardy overseas. Vaccine passports, lockdowns, etc. Seems like countries are having it worse than they did last year and a lot of the schedules are more staggered rollouts 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched it last night and... yup. Movie is a gut-punch from the start to finish and never stops. Also feels like a film that should be shown in film classes on how to shoot in low-light (something so many cinematographers and filmmakers suck ass at today, which is espescially a problem for horror) because it's really incredible how every bit of action is visible even with such little light being used.

It really is an incredible film.

I consider it a master class in directing. The way the suspense slowly builds and you feel so claustrophobic, stressed and panicked even before the creatures show up. And the moment they do was one of the most effective jump scares I've ever experienced.

All the more puzzling is Neil Marshall's movie career afterwards never even coming close to The Descent. 

• Like 2

I’m still amazed WB haven’t moved Matrix. I can only think it’s because they promo’d it when advertising for subs with their 2021 slate guarantee. Like, legally they have to put these movies on there day and date? 

They are effectively rebooting one of their golden goose franchises and giving it away for free on opening day. It boggles the mind. 
Dune is one thing, but I think that was always a gamble anyway. A Matrix return with Reeves is sure fire box office gold without HBO. 

Edited by wildphantom

26 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m still amazed WB haven’t moved Matrix. I can only think it’s because they promo’d it when advertising for subs with their 2021 slate guarantee. Like, legally they have to put these movies on there day and date? 

They are effectively rebooting one of their golden goose franchises and giving it away for free on opening day. It boggles the mind. 
Dune is one thing, but I think that was always a gamble anyway. A Matrix return with Reeves is sure fire box office gold without HBO. 

Some posts above have said that WB have already paid out the extra bonuses to the talent involved for the day and date release, so they can’t change their minds now. 

• Like 1