Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

This 95m 4-day locks a second weekend over 40m.

Monday 19.6m

Tuesday 7.6m

Wednesday 5.7m

Thurday 5.2m

Friday 12.3m

Saturday 20.5m

Sunday 13m

Secondweekend 45.8m  (-39%)

Total after 10days: 159.3m

Might be a bit to high but still over 150m should happen after 10 days.

• Like 1

I'd put:

Master and Commander

Dead Poet's Society

Fearless

The Truman Show

Picnic at Hanging Rock

The Last Wave

Gallipoli

The Year of Living Dangerously

The Mosquito Coast

Witness

Against any Top 10 from any other living director's filmography. 

Certainly not as high profile as a Spielberg and others but the variety in that list is staggering: to the extent that I think the only reason that Weir is not placed perennially alongside the all timers is that he is selfless enough to not impose a personal stamp on his projects. Admittedly fewer films, but a much better hitrate also than the likes of Scorsese, Nolan, Coppola with arguably not a single poor film to his name. And he directed Jeff Bridges, Harrison Ford, Jim Carrey, Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver all to career best performances.

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

This 95m 4-day locks a second weekend over 40m.

Monday 20

Tuesday 5.75

Wednesday 4.25

Thurday 3.75

Friday 11

Saturday 18

Sunday 12 

Second weekend 41

Total after 10days: 151

Might be a bit to high but still over 150m should happen after 10 days.

This is what I am thinking, though I can see your numbers happening if Canada spillover is strong.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This is what I am thinking, though I can see your numbers happening if Canada spillover is strong.

Tuesday still is discounted right so the drop should be softer than from a normal sunday to monday no?

Also I could see wednesday and thurday drop be a bit harsher like 4.3m or so on thurday.

Anyhow think 40m should definitly happen.

Edited by pepsa

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Tuesday still is discounted right so the drop should be softer than from a normal sunday to monday no?

Also I could see wednesday and thurday drop be a bit harsher like 4.3m or so on thurday.

Anyhow think 40m should definitly happen.

There is seating restriction in Canada. Tuesday is actually seeing films drop a bit due to limited seats sold on discount.

I have only Indian films to base this though, @DAJK can confirm for other movies.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

If you made a top 10 greatest films of all time list and half of them were Spielberg films no one would bat an eye.

If you made a top 10 greatest films of all time list where half of them were by the same director it'd just mean you haven't seen shit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is seating restriction in Canada. Tuesday is actually seeing films drop a bit due to limited seats sold on discount.

I have only Indian films to base this though, @DAJK can confirm for other movies.

Yeah Canada BO is a bit deflated right now because showings have limited capacity. A "full" showing is like... 50% of seats at best

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you made a top 10 greatest films of all time list where half of them were by the same director it'd just mean you haven't seen shit.

On the other hand, if your top 10 greatest films of all time had half of the same actor, specifically an actor born on December 27, 1995, that just means you're better than everybody else ;) 

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

I can tell that both HK reviews and early reviews on Douban come to the same conclusions that 
- It feels like Wenwu was the male lead and not Shang Chi (and to an extend he had a beautiful wife/love interest which met modern Asian beauty standards)
- They still find Simu unappealing and also uncharismatic
- Outdated plot, they think the outstanding characters were Wenwu and...XiaLing.
If Marvel cast  Jackie / Jet / Donnie for the sequel, their characters will end up overshadowing the main lead Shang Chi (again) for sure. ☹️

I mean, I have seen it twice, and they aren’t exactly wrong. They are absolutely the stand out characters.  But they also aren’t exactly right. 

So I was thinking about how like I honestly don’t think anyone but Tony Leung could have played Wenwu. Because I feel like people would have gone big. Or menacing. It would’ve turned into this crazy arch performance that probably would’ve ruined the movie. And I was just thinking about how like the casting in Marvel is amazing. Sarah Halley Finn Is Totally their secret weapon.

I thought Simu Liu Was also such perfect casting because there were times when he was had scenes Leung That honestly it felt like he was so out of his league. But it doesn’t feel like he was poorly acting. It just enhanced the dynamic between the father and the son. And also Simu was so endearing in all of his scenes with Katy. That’s where he really really shined to me. And it just kind of further Illustrates that like Shang Chi will never be his father. And he could never really exist in his fathers world.

49 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'd put:

Master and Commander

Dead Poet's Society

Fearless

The Truman Show

Picnic at Hanging Rock

The Last Wave

Gallipoli

The Year of Living Dangerously

The Mosquito Coast

Witness

Against any Top 10 from any other living director's filmography. 

I have ZERO idea what is going on here, but I am ALWAYS here for Peter Weir Stanning. Everyone should watch all of these ASAP

40 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I have seen a lot of shit, and IDK. I think you could definitely do it with a bunch of directors, depending on your taste level and your chaotic need for drama. Or maybe I just really like Billy Wilder movies 😂😂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

James Cameron might have something to say:)...Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorcese, too...

I'll keep thinking...

I love them all though and tbf, my opinion on greatest directors is irrelevant because I'm only 31 and wasn't around for the previous greats to truly compare. Scorsese gave me two of my top 10 favourites, Wolf of wall Street is probably my favourite movie, Its the only movie I can never turn over if it's on TV. It that rare 3 hour movie that doesn't have a wasted minute.

Though I'll be more excited for a Tarintino, Cameron or Nolan project if announced than Speilberg or Scorsese. James Cameron is arguably the most commited out of the lot, the fact it's been 12 years since Avatar and IMO there hasn't been anything close that matches it's imagery. It seems most movies these days don't have the time to take extra care with every single shot, the MCU I find is very guilty of this given their strict release schedule.

Edited by Chicago

23 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So isn't this weekend (labor day) the first weekend since the pandemic started that the box office is actually above the weekend box office of 2019? 

Frankly that isn't good comparison. Though this weekend will be just 10% less than 2nd SEP weekend when IT 2 opened. Even last AUG weekend was just 10% below 2019.

However 2019 other than Disney was an awful year.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Frankly that isn't good comparison. Though this weekend will be just 10% less than 2nd SEP weekend when IT 2 opened. Even last AUG weekend was just 10% below 2019.

However 2019 other than Disney was an awful year.

It did 11.3b. the only other year above it was 2018. it had 3 films over $500m and 6 over $400m yeah they were all Disney but how is that awful? 

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

It did 11.3b. the only other year above it was 2018. it had 3 films over $500m and 6 over $400m yeah they were all Disney but how is that awful? 

It had 2nd least admissions since 1995.

What I meant with other than Disney was that 2019 weekend which Disney had release were great, which didn't were worse than previous years barring Joker and Far From Home.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

On 9/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I have not made a comment here since the pandemic begun. This is starting to feel like the old days again. 

Since everyone already gave the conservative est, I'll be that crazy guy i used to be all the time before.

If EC number is true. 

80M+ 3-day, 95M+ 4-day, possibly 100M 4-day.

I'm just gonna quote myself right here. This was about EC's "30.75M Friday" 👁 like they always say: "go hard or go home"

Monday AM: As we told you yesterday, Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is easily headed to $90M+ over four-days. This comes after an awesome Sunday hold with $22.7M bringing the pic’s 3-day to $75.5M, and 4-day to a massive record breaking of $90M for the Labor Day stretch per Disney. Industry estimates see it between $91M-$92M.. Today is expected to come in around $16.2M per industry estimates, $14.5M per Disney.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-opening-weekend-box-office-1234826987/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Monday AM: As we told you yesterday, Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is easily headed to $90M+ over four-days. This comes after an awesome Sunday hold with $22.7M bringing the pic’s 3-day to $75.5M, and 4-day to a massive record breaking of $90M for the Labor Day stretch per Disney. Industry estimates see it between $91M-$92M.. Today is expected to come in around $16.2M per industry estimates, $14.5M per Disney.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-opening-weekend-box-office-1234826987/

be prepared to be wrong again