Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Shang Chi being the knight in shining armor for theater owners and the industry itself. $75 million at the height of delta is pretty damn great. The other sole theatrical release Free Guy being a low key MVP too. 

With any luck things keep getting better. Venom and Bond should get some people in theaters, and hopefully Spider-Man can shoot us into the stratosphere with our first mega opener since Star Wars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you made a top 10 greatest films of all time list where half of them were by the same director it'd just mean you haven't seen shit.

Would someone really be attacked for having Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List and Jurassic Park in their top 10 greastest films?

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Would someone really be attacked for having Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List and Jurassic Park in their top 10 greastest films?

That's still only 4 movies:)...

Nolan's top 4 (IMHO) - The Dark Knight, Memento, Inception, and then take your choice for the 4th (Dunkirk for most, but I'd probably put The Dark Knight Rises) is still the stronger 4 some...

Spielberg has some great movies...but he's not the only one, and arguably he's not the best or most versatile one...he's ONE of the best at both:)...

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

LOL he won't give up with this shit

Didn't Tomorrow Never Dies make over $360 million back in 1997 despite coming out the same week as Titanic?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It had 2nd least admissions since 1995.

What I meant with other than Disney was that 2019 weekend which Disney had release were great, which didn't were worse than previous years barring Joker and Far From Home.

Yeah Disney completely monopolized 2019. didn't realize admissions were so low. Boxofficemojo seems  to have dropped a lot of thier tools, how do you see admissions per year now? 

3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Yeah Disney completely monopolized 2019. didn't realize admissions were so low. Boxofficemojo seems  to have dropped a lot of thier tools, how do you see admissions per year now? 

But, to be fair to 2019 and admissions, it also had the collapse of Moviepass (can't remember if that was late 2018 or early 2019) and the new theater-based subscriber bases were in their infancy...and required more funds for people to use, so it took longer for a "price/value" reset...

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's still only 4 movies:)...

Nolan's top 4 (IMHO) - The Dark Knight, Memento, Inception, and then take your choice for the 4th (Dunkirk for most, but I'd probably put The Dark Knight Rises) is still the stronger 4 some...

Spielberg has some great movies...but he's not the only one, and arguably he's not the best or most versatile one...he's ONE of the best at both:)...

You know Spielberg has plenty of movies that could round out 5.

I think if someone had 5 Nolan movies in their top 10 greatest films it would raise a few eye brows.

Just now, grey ghost said:

You know Spielberg has plenty of movies that could round out 5.

I think if someone had 5 Nolan movies in their top 10 greatest films it would raise a few eye brows.

For me, Cameron always has to have the top 1 (Titanic), and then Disney gets 1 (real Lion King) - maybe 2 (Toys 3), so there's only 7-8 spots...I'd be hard pressed to give any director 5 of those 7-8 (especially since Clue and The Sixth Sense also always get spots from me in the Top 10, so now I'm down to 5-6:)...

I'd say almost no one who has seen tons of movies would rank 5 of the same director's movies in their top 10...unless they really love specific genre types...

Heck, just above, I have one historic rom-com, one comedy, 2 animated, and a horror suspense...all 5 directed by different folks...

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Oh Sony what the hell are you doing :hahaha:

This does raise the question that is when the hell is Venom getting released in Europe: one week before or one week after America?

So far we get NTTD on Sep 30 and Venom on Okt 14 here in Denmark

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who said they'd be attacked? Again, it would mean they haven't seen a lot of movies beyond the popular mainstream stuff from the past 50 years. And being familiar with a lot of movies is kind of important if you want to list the greatest 10 *of all time*.

• Like 4