MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

On 3/25/2023 at 6:47 AM, Mr Roark said:

I wonder if this one is gonna best Dunkirk or not.

One difference is that Dunkirk had some big action sequneces to sell the movie, this one won't have those despire the WW2  setting.

Curious to see how Gary Oldman does as Harry Truman. He pulls Truman off, he could be the Charleton Heston specilaizing in historical figures.

• Like 1

Unless this has random clips of major battles, IDK how they will continue to sell this as epic in scope and scale. The trailers use those ridiculous shots of atoms splitting to try and spice up what looks like a low-scale drama. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, Mr Roark said:

I wonder if this one is gonna best Dunkirk or not.

Not if it's three hours long. Dunkirk was such a taut movie. It was condensed mastery of a craft. I don't think a movie that is ostensibly a dramatic biopic should ever be three hours long and don't see how he avoids it being a slog.

• Disbelief 1

I'm worried that dialogue is not his strongest point. And with a subject matter like this, the main concern is that it might be portentous and/or overly lyrical dialogue which, over three hours, and without creative action to break it up, might become insufferable. Obviously we'll see how things turn out, but I get the feeling that this is sort of his replacement for his Howard Hughes biopic. The Aviator is probably the best case scenario for me and if it does turn out like that, I won't complain, but I dunno...for now I'm concerned.

Edited by reddevil19

14 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Not if it's three hours long. Dunkirk was such a taut movie. It was condensed mastery of a craft. I don't think a movie that is ostensibly a dramatic biopic should ever be three hours long and don't see how he avoids it being a slog.

"Lawrence of Arabia""Gandhi" and "Patton" say hi.

Granter they  two of them had big spectacular scenes that Opehsimer will not have but "Gandhi" did not and all are three hour long.

Real Problem is that some people get restless after ten minutes if they don't get some big scale eye candy.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dudalb said:

"Lawrence of Arabia""Gandhi" and "Patton" say hi.

Granter they  two of them had big spectacular scenes that Opehsimer will not have but "Gandhi" did not and all are three hour long.

Real Problem is that some people get restless after ten minutes if they don't get some big scale eye candy.

Yeah, cool. Nice of you to dismantle your own argument when two of them are war epics.

And Ghandi is also too long, yes, though at least it covers a 60 year period. Similar to The Aviator, which I mentioned, it's also very much a traditional biopic, rather than something akin to The Darkest Hour or Lincoln, which focus on very narrow time frames to show a snapshot of a dramatised version of a real life protagonist.

Oppenheimer, from what we know so far, seems closer to the latter two, with a still relatively narrow time frame (The Manhattan Project and then the hearings). You're also specifically ignoring my point about dialogue being a potential Achilles' Heel. None of your examples had that issue. Obviously the movie could very well be a masterpiece, but for now I have concerns and what you said is just noise that doesn't actually address any of my points.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, cool. Nice of you to dismantle your own argument when two of them are war epics.

And Ghandi is also too long, yes, though at least it covers a 60 year period. Similar to The Aviator, which I mentioned, it's also very much a traditional biopic, rather than something akin to The Darkest Hour or Lincoln, which focus on very narrow time frames to show a snapshot of a dramatised version of a real life protagonist.

Oppenheimer, from what we know so far, seems closer to the latter two, with a still relatively narrow time frame (The Manhattan Project and then the hearings). You're also specifically ignoring my point about dialogue being a potential Achilles' Heel. None of your examples had that issue. Obviously the movie could very well be a masterpiece, but for now I have concerns and what you said is just noise that doesn't actually address any of my points.

The author of book said he was surprised how much dialog in the book is in movie. 

In one thing Nolan is taking a page from the great director John Ford: he has formed a "Chris Nolan Stock Compnay" of actors; in every Nolan movie you can depend on seeing members of his stock company same way you sawe the same faces in John Ford's movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nolan is a great storyteller. Never fails to get the audience hooked up. So that is never a worry that it will be dialogue heavy, he will have intense, dynamic sequences inserted. Quality wise, not worried the slightest. As of box office, it has a lower ceiling than most Nolan films. Needs strong WoM, but I think it will deliver. Potentially Cillian picks up Oscar buzz.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1