Eric Prime

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

33 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Venom with that toxic word of mouth so far... It does not even have the streaming excuse.

Or the more logical reasoning is that it is now against a movie with similar demographics that took all of its PLFs which made iirc around 65% of Let There Be Carnage’s OW.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Or the more logical reasoning is that it is now against a movie with similar demographics that took all of its PLFs which made iirc around 65% of Let There Be Carnage’s OW.

Literally all its drops have been lackluster, even before Bond.

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I mean Bond is more walk up based and skews older than the average CBM or Fast picture. I have a hard time seeing under 60m.

Friday’s problem doesn’t come from being comped with CBMs. The problem is that Th walkups were weak.

2 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Friday’s problem doesn’t come from being comped with CBMs. The problem is that Th walkups were weak.

maybe bc of wed shows , we wont know for sure though , lets just hope for a great friday

8 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Literally all its drops have been lackluster, even before Bond.

I’m not denying that the drops have been mediocre (looking at the numbers now the Tuesday one is sad) but I think that’s moreso attributed to fan rush and frontloadedness. Granted Venom 1 had a stronger OW to weekday ratio the first week, however both it didn’t face a movie with similar demographics for the second weekend and had an inflated Monday due to Columbus Day.

4 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Actually terrible. Mid 50s OW incoming. I was positive for once and doomed the damn movie. Fucking hell.

This is why I stopped trying to predict movies I want to succeed. It feels like a I jinxed them.

I know this has become a deadhorse thing but I’m genuinely curious on how Ron Goes Wrong does box office wise. O/U Addams 2, on one hand it has theatrical exclusivity and likely much better reviews but on the other hand it has poor marketing and probably poor awareness compared to Addams.

I’m curious as it alongside Addams can be a good indicator on whether the families are back when predicting the much larger Encanto and Sing 2. 

3 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Actually terrible. Mid 50s OW incoming. I was positive for once and doomed the damn movie. Fucking hell.

Ummmm, but that's not doom...it's good for where the market is.  $50M+ is good...under $50M, and I'll join the doomsters...

If you want the "out of the park" performance, we're gonna have to wait to Spidey...the young will drag the old, the interested will drag the uninterested, and kids will be vaxxed and adults will be boosted, and Spidey will have 70% of all available showings...if that one comes in low, then cry...

But for now, this is the performance we can get when blockbusters open back to back with the numbers willing to go back...

For the record, I'll be surprised if the doom and gloom on Venom's numbers happens (low $20s?? - I don't think that's possible  but we'll see)...but I can't rule them out b/c we have piled 2 blockbusters on themselves....keep that in mind for Halloween Kills and Dune - don't get crazy excited til you see what kinda seating and sets they can get...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I know this has become a deadhorse thing but I’m genuinely curious on how Ron Goes Wrong does box office wise. O/U Addams 2, on one hand it has theatrical exclusivity and likely much better reviews but on the other hand it has poor marketing and probably poor awareness compared to Addams.

I’m curious as it alongside Addams can be a good indicator on whether the families are back when predicting the much larger Encanto and Sing 2. 

It's gonna have a terrible OW in its spot.  Right now, my 2 Cinemarks are only single screening it (for when presales start) and Dune got the biggest screens.

Ron should have kicked to Thanksgiving (and Encanto should have been saved b/c it had no time element or advertising), but there's my other broken record - they advertised Ron SO HARD this summer, and it's gonna be worthless b/c it's getting punted everywhere when Encanto opens no matter where it's at, so it has to exist on a few weekends, one of which is trick or treat weekend...