Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

FWIW, I'm actually slightly encouraged by the 6.2m in previews, as some of my comps were pointing to the high or mid-5s.

Also I did see a small amount of increase in my comps between the mid-day sample and the final sample, which does suggest that there was some amount of increased walkups, if not at the level of, say, the Fast Franchise.

A24 is expanding too quickly without a strategy in place, and I think they're starting to realize that based on the lack of film announcements recently. They got very production and acquisition happy during the pandemic and are starting to see the consequences of it. Five movies have been sold off this year (Macbeth to Apple, The Humans to Showtime, False Positive to Hulu, Pleasure to Neon, Val to Amazon), and there were no release strategies in place for fall films until very recently. Over 15 A24 films are in the can for 2022, and I'm sure at least four of them will be sold to another distributor or spun into the Apple deal.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A24 is expanding too quickly without a strategy in place, and I think they're starting to realize that based on the lack of film announcements recently. They got very production and acquisition happy during the pandemic and are starting to see the consequences of it. Five movies have been sold off this year (Macbeth to Apple, The Humans to Showtime, False Positive to Hulu, Pleasure to Neon, Val to Amazon), and there were no release strategies in place for fall films until very recently. Over 15 A24 films are in the can for 2022, and I'm sure at least four of them will be sold to another distributor or spun into the Apple deal.

It is very hard to blame them given the film they produce are among the hardest hit in the pandemic. They need to invest more on cheap but inventive// high-concept like horror 

I feel like landing ahead of Spectre's preview number is a relatively encouraging sign for No Time to Die, but we'll see.

On a tangentially related note to the A24/Neon discussion: I would have loved to see Titane get the "A24 deliberately mismarkets offbeat horror-adjacent film as mainstream horror" treatment just to see what would have been hilarious "WTF" reactions and an inevitable F CinemaScore. I enjoyed the film thoroughly, but man, where would one even begin in trying to explain it to someone unfamiliar with Raw (Julia Ducornau's previous film) and/or uninterested in purposely bizarre arthouse horror?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Uh oh. The double whammy of Venom's huge drop and Bond might make Chapek throw Eternals on PA

Was not following much, is the best preview for the franchise by a good amount bad ?

Is it because they were 16:00 pm previews ?

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of the quote tweets called A24 "a corporate machine ran by New York hipsters" and that's honestly such a great way to describe them.

Look at some of this merch. Low effort, high priced junk because they're just oh so artsy.

02-Detail-Shot_e7bca485-5af0-4ab0-a7ee-f

One of these mugs cost $15.

• Haha 1

Just now, AJG said:

One of the quote tweets called A24 "a corporate machine ran by New York hipsters" and that's honestly such a great way to describe them.

Look at some of this merch. Low effort, high priced junk because they're just oh so artsy.

02-Detail-Shot_e7bca485-5af0-4ab0-a7ee-f

One of these mugs cost $15.

When I went to see Old a few months ago the person sitting a few seats over from me was wearing an A24 shirt. I had to chuckle inside.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

When I went to see Old a few months ago the person sitting a few seats over from me was wearing an A24 shirt. I had to chuckle inside.

I've been wearing an A24 hat the last few times I went to Disney and Universal :ph34r: 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Uh oh. The double whammy of Venom's huge drop and Bond might make Chapek throw Eternals on PA

Thats not gonna happen. There's not enough time for starters, tickets go on sale in three days. And Venom was always going to be frontloaded.