Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

Expected results with the reviews and reception. Sounds like a poorly directed and confusing film. Not gonna go in theaters for it. Just remember expectations before reviews and after in regards to spider man. Sony almost always screws things up just saying. Will be huge, lock to beat 623m domestically? Never was even with good reviews. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, Eternal Legion said:

Maybe we can pad the thread length with a hot take about how awkshually ep 2 is the best because it set up TCW 🧐

You mean correct take!!! The sequels are my favorite because there are nothing more than very special live action episodes of clone wars. Obviously! 😘

Meanwhile, omg boys. I went to bed. I went to bed and this is what I wake up to?!

@Eric loves Ajak, we were right. We should’ve just kept the thread locked weekend so that will be you and I only posting. 

• Haha 1

Looks like Eternals coming near the low end of expectations really helped most holdovers this week. Dune looking at a sub-50% drop despite losing all PLF auditoriums. Drops next weekend should also be great too between Veteran's Day and only one major release with Clifford (Belfast is going to be in around 600 theaters).

I mean I find the talk of Eternals causing the death of Marvel stupid when No Way Home comes out in like a month lol. It may not make the pie in the skies grosses but I think it’s at least good enough for like 350m+ Dom.

• Like 1

...i cant believe some of the comments that i am reading here, is the numbers dissapointing ? yes , is it a flop ? hello now its overseas ow is strong and along with a dom , it will end with a respectable final total , of course probably a lower final total that was expected and hoped for but respectable nonetheless.Its time to stop with all these doom and gloom post and just bc a movie underperformed compare to expectations this doesnt mean that the next one will bc of that, i am old enough to remember the doom and gloom post when antman and the wasp came, its performance too was considered dissapointing but did that stopped captain marvel from blowing up ? no it didnt.You bet your ass that even with everything that has happened as long as the movie finishes with a decent number, marvel will continue and make a sequel to this characters ,while keeping in mind the things that didnt work now.Also  whats the logic behind nwy is doomed bc of eternals ? if your logic works that way then idk what to say.

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

DCEU has 4 movies lined up for next year.

Their last three movies were The Suicide Squad, WW84 and Birds of Prey.

But 70m OW for a D-List franchise is the end of Marvel with No Way Home around the corner?

Lmao.

What exactly are you trying to say here?   i don't think anyone seriously claimed that the movies aren't coming out..  

But there are some challenges that lie ahead.  People on here are penciling in Doctor Strange 2 for a $200M+ OW and i don't think it's that simple..   The infinity saga isn't going to be easy to live up to and that's the comparison.  

Pretty sure nobody brought up DC at all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I mean I find the talk of Eternals causing the death of Marvel stupid when No Way Home comes out in like a month lol. It may not make the pie in the skies grosses but I think it’s at least good enough for like 350m+ Dom.

Dude if NWH only does 350 I think this board may have meltdowns. People literally acted like I was insane when I said 500-600 with good reviews. We fricking need it man. Hell I want to be wrong and see 623m! Gimme 701 dammit

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why would a ponderous movie with D-list superheroes open higher than Venom 2?

Well there are people who looked at Sony and said "They are out of their element.. give the rights to Marvel"  even after Venom did over $800M.  

There's a lot of opinions out there on many films.. not just MCU ones.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What exactly are you trying to say here?   i don't think anyone seriously claimed that the movies aren't coming out..  

But there are some challenges that lie ahead.  People on here are penciling in Doctor Strange 2 for a $200M+ OW and i don't think it's that simple..   The infinity saga isn't going to be easy to live up to and that's the comparison.  

They're all superhero cinematic universes.

It doesn't make sense to expect Infinity Saga numbers during a pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Yeh he was the first to say “DCEU”.

(Resisting the urge to point out that ****** ***** 3 is in development and ******** 2 won’t be)

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Seems like people aren't wild about popcorn blockbusters that actively avoid being "theme park rides".

It doesn't make sense to make superhero movies for people who resent superhero movies.

Maybe not make too long-term conclusions out of this. Maybe Eternals just didn't work as a movie but it shouldn't mean that you can't have hugely successful wildly different kind of MCU movies. Without seeing it yet, it seems that Eternals tried to do too many things at the same time while trying to be different. It's a shame if it makes Disney & Marvel more cautious trying again to do something different. Just make is work as a story and characters.

And looks like Eternals is going to be successful when adjusting into pre-pandemic numbers at least (domestic OW being suppressed 10-15%  due to the pandemic still and legs even more?). If you were locked with 100+ OW expectations, sure, it'll sting. But yeah, looks a bit crazy the meltdown over one movie underperforming from huge expectations in an amazingly successful franchise.

• Like 1