Eric S'ennui

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

If we want to talk about contribution to the movie, we can even put aside the whole MCU Spiderman vs. TASM and Raimi movie thing altogether.  Spiderman wouldn't even exist without Marvel.  Not sure how you can say Marvel didn't contribute a large amount to a movie that features their characters.  Any Marvel property doing well is a testament to their cultural impact regardless of how the property is licensed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

The largest opener on December 17th, 2010 was Tron Legacy @ $44M. It dropped 47% the first Monday. 

Yup. Ignoring the fact that Spidey's Sunday was way better than Tron's, if it followed that pattern exactly throughout the week into the weekend we get a $106m weekend and $500 million total by the 26th. That seems pretty good to me.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Yup. Ignoring the fact that Spidey's Sunday was way better than Tron's, if it followed that pattern exactly throughout the week into the weekend we get a $106m weekend and $500 million total by the 26th. That seems pretty good to me.

Which is actually a bit under my estimate of about $113M and $510M. After that though, it won't keep the pace because it would require another $35M next Monday. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Osborn said:

Guys you're trying to champion over which soulless corp deserves more recognition. Does it really matter?

Not necessarily. It's the revisionist history that's grating.

The MCU Spider-man series is the first series of Spider-man movies that have trended upward.  Yes, Spider-man 3 was a massive hit but it declined significantly in the US and got a very mixed reception critically.

The Amazing Spider-man series trended downward, got a pretty negative reception and left Sony with practically nowhere to go with the character. Seriously, Amy Paschal literally called Kevin Feige and said "help".

https://heroichollywood.com/kevin-feige-the-amazing-spider-man-3-marvel-uninterested/

Sony were struggling with live action Spider-man movies and the only reason why we have this "Spider-man revival" is because of his introduction into the MCU. Peter featuring prominently in some of Marvel's biggest movies and some of the biggest movies of all time has added to Spider-man's popularity among general audiences especially after what Sony did to the character.

Anything else is just flat-out revisionism. I've been on these boards for around 10 years now and this place can have some terrible takes; suggesting NWH would have made this sort of money featuring Garfield from a series that wasn't very well received critically or commercially and Maguire from the original Spider-man series which ended with the very disappointing Spider-man 3 is one of the worst I've seen.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Which is actually a bit under my estimate of about $113M and $510M. After that though, it won't keep the pace because it would require another $35M next Monday. 

I’m really looking forward to those 2nd weekdays tbh 👀👀👀

• Astonished 1

30 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

It's takes like these that made a lot of people leave these boards.

Well, some people dont like the truth.

Edit: kinda funny to see someone come back to the forum just to defend the honor of Marvel lol. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Well, some people dont like the truth.

Edit: kinda funny to see someone come back to the forum just to defend the honor of Marvel lol. 

I'm sorry if I came across as rude.

But I'm not conviced that Sony could have pulled this off themselves considering how screwed up the Amazing Spider-man series turned out.

I'm not even convinced that Garfield and Tobey would have returned to Spider-man at all if it were produced by Sony alone.

• Like 2

You all discussing which one deserves more recognition between Sony and Marvel while we all know GOD AND KING ARI ARAD is the one true visionary saviour and without him none of this would be possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

You all discussing which one deserves more recognition between Sony and Marvel while we all know GOD AND KING ARI ARAD is the one true visionary saviour and without him none of this would be possible.

Hmm, true. Credits can’t lie.

• Like 2

Interestingly, this is the first time a Spider-Man movie wil be both DOM and WW number 1 of the year.

Spider-Man was #1 DOM and #3 WW in 2002.

Spider-Man 2 was #2 DOM and #3 WW in 2004.

Spider-Man 3 was #1 DOM and #3 WW in 2007.

TASM was #7 DOM and #7 WW in 2012.

TASM 2 was #12 DOM and #9 WW in 2014.

Spider-Man HC was #6 DOM and #6 WW in 2017.

Spider-Man FFH was #7 DOM and #4 WW in 2019.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Arad even found a way to manage to mess up a films credits.

12 minutes ago, 3jp said:

Interestingly, this is the first time a Spider-Man movie wil be both DOM and WW number 1 of the year.

Spider-Man was #1 DOM and #3 WW in 2002.

Spider-Man 2 was #2 DOM and #3 WW in 2004.

Spider-Man 3 was #1 DOM and #3 WW in 2007.

TASM was #7 DOM and #7 WW in 2012.

TASM 2 was #12 DOM and #9 WW in 2014.

Spider-Man HC was #6 DOM and #6 WW in 2017.

Spider-Man FFH was #7 DOM and #4 WW in 2019.

Tobey is a star.

Edited by ZackM

1 hour ago, Eric Osborn said:

Guys you're trying to champion over which soulless corp deserves more recognition. Does it really matter?

The Disney-Sony slapfighting is weird but I do find it annoying when people try to pretend like the Holland Spider-Man isn't popular or wasn't a big part of this film's success. Sure the other two added value, but Holland also provided a solid base for said additions. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GoblinXXR said:

So with no capacity limits in Ontario and a 5PM start time for previews, OW would probably be $265-267M instead of this pathetic $260M number....

:gold:

Nope.

At max $1M diff I imagine.

Edit: Oh you also have 5PM preview. Then yes. $266-267M then.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1