Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Looking over some of the numbers ...

Crawdads - not a lot to go off of, and a film that is likely going to have an atypical market skew. Pace seems good from @katnisscinnaplex's numbers, but that could also be skewed by Raleigh, given the story takes place in NC. A preview at or just over $2M seems about right

Paws of Fury - Ugly. Does it even hit the low end ($7M) of PBO's tracking range?

Nope - despite have been on sale forever, sales pace is still good - seeing growth rate between F9 and V2 (off a much shorter sales window at this point, but might be a comp worth adding for the last 7-10 days for those tracking). Given that horror usually has a strong late kick, thinking around $5M is the guesstimate for now, see how numbers looks in a few more days

• Like 5

"Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" TV marketing is strong for a 900 theaters release.  It even became the official sponsor of some cable TV programs.  (like "Beat Bobby Flay" on Food Network)

However, the film seems to have no TV spot on Fox News. (On the other hands, Focus' "Downton Abbey: A New Era" had TV spots on Fox News.)

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1

My local Cinemark is a trip.

For the primetime showings on Thursday and Friday, Crawdads is already virtually sold out.

Meanwhile, Paws of Fury has yet to sell a single ticket. I think even stuff like Peter Rabbit and Spirit Untamed sold a few at this point in time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Meanwhile, Paws of Fury has yet to sell a single ticket. I think even stuff like Peter Rabbit and Spirit Untamed sold a few at this point in time.

Paws of Fury weekend numbers are going to be EPIC. I'm so excited I could die!:ohmygod:

• Astonished 1

Paws of Fury brings back the memories of all those crappy and cheap-looking animated movies from startup CGI companies that popped up in the mid-2000s. Stuff like The Wild, Valiant, Everyone's Hero, Happily N'Ever After, Igor, Space Chimps. Even the cast is exactly something you would have found in those bad mid-2000s animated movies. The nostalgia cycle has frankly gone way too far here.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Paws of Fury brings back the memories of all those crappy and cheap-looking animated movies from startup CGI companies that popped up in the mid-2000s. Stuff like The Wild, Valiant, Everyone's Hero, Happily N'Ever After, Igor, Space Chimps. Even the cast is exactly something you would have found in those bad mid-2000s animated movies. The nostalgia cycle has frankly gone way too far here.

I liked The Wild :( I remember seeing it as a kid. It is also a Disney movie.

3 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I saw it pop up in a couple Santikos and checked the other day.  I'm seeing 286 so far for US, with no AMC or Regal locations

Cinemark tends to exclusively release the Netflix movies...

Weirdly, both of my Cinemarks which advertised Mrs Harris to me in the last 2 weeks, are both passing on that movie and booking The Gray Man...

I counted yesterday but had not the motivation to look up all the comps. So these numbers are from yesterday.

Where the Crawdads Sing, counted yesterday at 11am EST for Thursday, July 14:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): no showtimes so far
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 9 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 15 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 6 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 8 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
34 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 50 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 122.

Comp (it's not that easy to find good comps for this film IMO): The Last Duel had on Monday for Thursday 74 sold tickets in the same 6 theaters.

Where the Crawdads Sing, counted yesterday at 11am EST for Friday, July 15:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): no showtimes so far
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 9 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 19 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 3 (3 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 6 (3 showtimes)
30 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 20 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 87.

Comps (all counted on Monday for Friday): Old had 150 sold tickets in 7 theaters,

The Last Duel had 46 in the same 6 theaters

and Last Night in Soho had 126 in the same 6 theaters (I think this comp makes it look worse than it it).

Overall I would say that its presales are not great but ok so far.

Nope, counted yesterday at 11am EST for Thursday, July 21:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 132 (6 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 108 (6 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 11 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 4 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 30 (3 showtimes)
326 (8 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 744 (10 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 1.355.
Comps: The Forever Purge (1.3M from previews) had on Monday of its release week 104 sold tickets

and AQP II (4.8M) had also on Monday of its release week 747 sold tickets.

Looks good! Idk if Nope manages it to double its sales till next Monday but it should reach 2k+ tickets with ease.

Nope, counted yesterday at 11am EST for Friday, July 22:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 93 (10 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 122 (11 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 0 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 1 (4 showtimes)
197 (12 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 422 (16 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 837.
Comps: The Black Phone had on Wednesday before its release week = 2 days later 170 sold tickets,

Old had 150 sold tickets on Monday of its release week,

The Invisible Man had on Monday of its release week 323 sold tickets

and Candyman had also on Monday of its release week 180 sold tickets.

Again a very good number. The only little issue is that the sales in LA are so much better than everywhere else. It jumped 62% since last Monday.

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris had also yesterday 12 sold tickets for Thursday (with showtimes in 3 theaters) and 7 sold tickets for Friday (also in 3 theaters).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank, counted today at 10am EST for Friday, July 15:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 38 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 4 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 0 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (3 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 7 (4 showtimes)
16 ( 5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 4 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 71.
Comps: Paw Patrol had on Tuesday for Friday 200 sold tickets

and The Boss Baby 2 had on Wednesday of its release week 140 sold tickets.
That's indeed pretty muted for The Legend of Hawk.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Crawdads has some almost sold out show in several Cinemark. I'm talking about previews and Friday. I don't know if it's frontloaded but I think it shouldn't make less than 25M first weekend. After all the book is very popular and beloved (4.8/5 on Instagram with over 250K reviews, 4.45/5 on goodreads with almost 2M votes), and its performance on New York times best seller charts have been on pair with phenomenons like The Da Vinci's Code. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goldenhour36 said:

Do you guys know what software you use to track your local theater and area or you self-count the number of tickets order?

If there is software that does this, I'd like to know about it too

7 hours ago, Eric Odinson said:

Also, to me it doesn't help that its resemblance to Kung Fu Panda is....rather eye opening IMO. Also from an old school standpoint, when I saw Hank was Hong Kong Phooey (yes Im that old lol), and saw alot of comments on the trailer pretty much saying Panda/Phooey comments, so Im not really surprised it might be not selling well. Combine that Minions is still in theatres and I just don't think its got a good position here.

• Like 1