Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

2 hours ago, datpepper said:

Want to add that there will be no Thursday preview shows for this. First that's happened in a while for any sort of release, especially one from Disney.

Well, if Disney is viewing the Avatar remaster as "just" a limited re-release, it makes a small amount of sense.  Or rather, if I squint I can see what the thinking is. While they aren't remotely in the same league, I know that the one week limited re-release of Rogue One was a Fri-Thur only affair.   Don't know about other Disney re-releases/limited releases.

Speaking of, decided to see if showtimes had started to populate, and they are locally.  At Regal at least.

Hope people want to view this in 3D! :o

Coz... Ooof at getting standard tickets.  Locally, at least [again, for Regal]:

DTlPLkp.png

Other two Regals are pretty much the same.

Now maybe more 2D tickets go live later as we get much closer to release (ala a more normal rollout).  But at first glance looks like the PLF screen is getting a mandated 3D for all showings as it's the same at the RPX/4DX joint in town.  Only place that I'm not seeing have a heavy 3D tilt is the local SMG which has 2 2D showings up at the moment.

This has... implications for A2's release.  Or at least, a hint of an implication.

Of course, being a limited re-release, can't overdraw conclusions. For instance, if a theater is only going to play the re-release on one non-PLF screen, they might have contracts saying there needs to be a certain amount of 3D showings or a 3D:2D split that won't necessarily apply for a super wide release in December.

Still... Still, the sheer percentage of 3D screens versus 2D and the times of the 2D leapt out to me immediately.

Almost feel like keeping an eye on it to see just how well it does sell with 3D being so prominent. 

(also curious to see how Cinemark and Cinema West is gonna handle this locally)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well, if Disney is viewing the Avatar remaster as "just" a limited re-release, it makes a small amount of sense.  Or rather, if I squint I can see what the thinking is. While they aren't remotely in the same league, I know that the one week limited re-release of Rogue One was a Fri-Thur only affair.   Don't know about other Disney re-releases/limited releases.

Speaking of, decided to see if showtimes had started to populate, and they are locally.  At Regal at least.

DTlPLkp.png

Now maybe more 2D tickets go live later as we get much closer to release (ala a more normal rollout).  But at first glance looks like the PLF screen is getting a mandated 3D for all showings as it's the same at the RPX/4DX joint in town.  Only place that I'm not seeing have a heavy 3D tilt is the local SMG which has 2 2D showings up at the moment.

This has... implications for A2's release.  Or at least, a hint of an implication.

Of course, being a limited re-release, can't overdraw conclusions. For instance, if a theater is only going to play the re-release on one non-PLF screen, they might have contracts saying there needs to be a certain amount of 3D showings or a 3D:2D split that won't necessarily apply for a super wide release in December.

Still... Still, the sheer percentage of 3D screens versus 2D and the times of the 2D leapt out to me immediately.

Almost feel like keeping an eye on it to see just how well it does sell with 3D being so prominent. 

To be fair, as the poster child for 3D, if you’re going to see Avatar at the cinema, you’re doing yourself a disservice watching it in 2D. I’d imagine that the 2D shows will see low attendance anyway.

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

DTlPLkp.png

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

In all seriousness, while I also can "squint" and understand the rationale here, I also think it's a misreading - potentially majorly so - of the market. If the primary goal of the rerelease is build hype and anticipation for the sequel, then a >90% 3D spread, which will limit audience pool both by preference and price point, seems counterproductive.

Yes, you can argue one "should" watch in 3D, but doesn't mean you can make people want to, and it has a whiff of elitism by not even offering but 1 or 2 standard shows (at least for now, maybe they do add more later).

Unrelated, but while checking on Avatar showtimes, I also stumbled across Regal doing a Monday Mystery Movie, where you pay $5 to watch an advance screening of a new release, but don't know what is playing in advance, other than its rated R. I'm almost hoping they show Bros, because to spring that particular movie on an (a least partially) unsuspecting audience would probably generate a fair amount of chaos

Animated GIF

... but would guess its probably Smile or Amsterdam, leaning towards the former given the playdate

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:44 PM, Porthos said:

Saying no one cares in the US is... um... Not Accurate, even for hyperbole:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 7-d&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0d1_f,NFL

(it's the opening of the NFL season tonight)

Saying "not enough people care to really effect the box office"?  Yeah, I'd agree with that.  But not a news story in the US?  Disagree completely.  Very much is a story over here, even if you don't count the sizable chunk of the US population which is obsessed with the royal family.

The average NFL fan is in their mid 50's. Are they really googling stuff like that though?

On 9/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, motionpic05 said:

It's hard to gain perspective of what the American reaction is to the Queen's death (Canadian here)

Is it likely that marketing for films coming up quick (The Woman King, DWD, Smile, Bros) will be halted or will they continue as usual?

This should sum it up:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I just saw some Harry Styles stans on Twitter saying DWD is breaking IMAX records? That can’t possibly be true, right?

Right.

I mean there are always the meganiche artificially constructed records -- "strongest imax sales for a movie named don't worry darling" or whatever 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I just saw some Harry Styles stans on Twitter saying DWD is breaking IMAX records? That can’t possibly be true, right?

Nah it's legit...kind of. It's the fastest-selling IMAX Live event...but those aren't very common.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/harry-styles-dont-worry-darling-imax-ticket-sales-box-office-1235112785/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

Nah it's legit...kind of. It's the fastest-selling IMAX Live event...but those aren't very common.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/harry-styles-dont-worry-darling-imax-ticket-sales-box-office-1235112785/

Fastest-selling IMAX Live Event is literally the most hilarious record ever. Hollywood really loves stupid records.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Do you guys have any substantial data on the Avatar reissue yet? I'm really curious how that's going to do in the age of streaming.

anything on the number of theaters?

• Founder / Operator
52 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Do you guys have any substantial data on the Avatar reissue yet? I'm really curious how that's going to do in the age of streaming.

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

anything on the number of theaters?

Likely 3,000+, could push 4,000 but the studio will give an official projection later this week.

Pre-sales just started yesterday and today in some places, so there's not much data from those yet.

• Like 3

*goes to check locals on a whim*

Oh, that's hilarious.  Avatar re-release isn't on sale at my local Cinemarks and Cinema West locations. Not even listed yet at those two chains on Fandango, locally.  Is up at Regal (at least the ones that have a PLF screen), Studio Movie Grill, and my independent TrueIMAX.

They should be up later today, but that they're not at launch is... "Huh." 

EDITED:::  IS on their corp page though.   Strange that it's not on Fandango though.  Should be up later though, again I presume.

(also slightly "Huh" worthy that it's only playing [so far] at the Regals with an IMAX or RPX screen — is at the local SMG though as, I said)

FWIW... 13 tickets sold region wide for Friday.  Which is... Well, beats the hell out of me, frankly.  No real frame of reference since I haven't been tracking these re-releases and certainly not a few hours after tickets went on sale.

EDITED:::: This also added 22 more tickets to the ledger (20 of which being an obvious group sale), for a total of 35 tickets for Friday.  Which is still "beats the hell out of me", tbh.

(also, two of the Cinemarks showing this are ones that don't have a PLF screen, so that's something — then again one of the Cinemarks locally that does have a PLF screen isn't listed even on the corp page, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Never tracked before but just looking at 7 AMCs 

AMC Gulf Pointe 30: 12 tickets sold across 8 showtimes

AMC fountain 18: 19 tickets sold across 7 showtimes

AMC deerbrook 24: 0 tickets sold across 6 showtimes

AMC Willowbrook 24: 14 tickets sold across 9 showtimes

AMC Spring 10: 4 tickets sold across 4 showtimes

AMC Katy Mills 20: 0 tickets sold across 4 showtimes

AMC Metropark square 10: 14 tickets sold across 2 showtimes 

Decided to look at 7 cinemarks and here is the data for them:

Cinemark Hollywood Movies: 0 tickets sold across 3 showtimes