Eric Lasagna

Weekday Numbers (1/3-6) | 7.9 Spider Monday

3 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

I think NWH will be an unreachable total for any future "solo" superhero movie especially without China

I’ll take that bet. As long as these films are still getting first runs in theaters (and don’t go streaming exclusively or same-day), the numbers will continue to fall. 

NWH WW-C will be surpassed by another solo (wink wink) SH film within the next 5 years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Is it just me that it hurt the legacy of Marvel success a little bit ?

There was no brilliant build up, not a single particularly good spider man movie since Spider Man 2, yet a Jon Watts movie of all peoples, with those trailers of all trailers open like that just by throwing a lot of beloved figure in it ?

Same here

Studios are notorious at getting the wrong takeaways from Box Office success. Especially Sony who gained the most from this. They are also horrendous at taking good decisions for their movies. Before, Marvel Studios could always point to their own movies as the ultimate success story and tell Sony "we know what's up here, leave it to us, we're the best", but now Sony might be like... "wait a minute, can we do this on our own?" and I fear that, because they SUCK at managing their own properties. Let's not forget that private companies are primarily driven by greed, and it governs their decisions. Nothing else really, actually matters.

But we can't ignore the fact that the MCU's build-up and favorability from audiences helped a lot here as well. I don't think a purely Sony Spider-Man movie (not connected to the MCU) would have made that much money even if they threw everything at the wall like they just did. It was the perfect storm and audiences bought it because it made in-universe sense, the goodwill from the MCU is really strong, and it was the right time to do it.

• Like 2

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
1 (1) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $4,375,000 -26% -78% 4,206 $1,040 $631,803,198 20
- (9) A Journal for Jordan Sony Pictures $105,000 -30% -65% 2,500 $42 $5,170,459 12
- (10) Ghostbusters: Afterlife Sony Pictures $95,000 -32% -74% 1,645 $58 $123,840,663 4
  • Like 5

That would come down to individual states i think, like in NY you need vaccine to go to indoor places but in a lot of states there is no requirement and I doubt it will come especially since theaters will have to deal with loss of revenue

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

France is now making unvax people to be totally unable to enter in a theater (and other indoors places).

Curious if something similar can happen in US to avoid bigger problems.

I don’t think that could ever happen in America. 

I feel surprised by the restraint Sony has been showing. Even Endgame already had everything in TV Spots at this point but so far, nothing official with Andrew Garfield or Tobey Maguire has been released.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

France is now making unvax people to be totally unable to enter in a theater (and other indoors places).

Curious if something similar can happen in US to avoid bigger problems.

It's been required for NYC since September. 

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

They are also horrendous at taking good decisions for their movies. Before, Marvel Studios could always point to their own movies as the ultimate success story and tell Sony "we know what's up here, leave it to us, we're the best", but now Sony might be like... "wait a minute, can we do this on our own?" and I fear that, because they SUCK at managing their own properties. Let's not forget that private companies are primarily driven by greed, and it governs their decisions. Nothing else really, actually matters.

This is exactly what happened after FFH became its highest selling movie and Endgame was a hit. Barely a month after hitting a billion they decided they could take things from there. I think the fan backlash was the saving grace here because based on the rumored movies they were threatening to make (Madame Webb??) those multiverse dollars were going to be made whether Disney wanted to or not. Sony couldn't even finish their trilogy without trying to tag it as Spider-man Endgame even though story wise nothing led up to this really. And it worked. It made all the money, just like Venom, despite not being really good or even properly connected to SM made all the money, and they can now coast on the vague promise that if you watch their spinoffs you might get an MCU crossover (Morbius). It speaks to SM's popularity as a character that that studio gets away with its decisions.

Edited by thedast

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

I read somewhere that BP sold 76M ticked here so why NWH will gross more than BP but will sold 10M-15M tickets less ?

That's a Box Office Mojo estimate based on yearly average ticket prices. It's not accurate for blockbuster films like Black Panther which make a sizeable chunk of their revenue from expensive premium format tickets.

BOM will likely have No Way Home at around 80m tickets sold by the same metric, which, again, won't be accurate.

Edit: it's also worth noting that the overall yearly average ticket price (which is measured across all releases) is skewed by films with younger audiences who have cheaper ticket prices, so a blockbuster film is going to have a higher ticket price than the average anyway even without premium format tickets — premium formats just exacerbate the effect and bring the average ticket price for a blockbuster even higher.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

,but now Sony might be like... "wait a minute, can we do this on our own?" and I fear that, because they SUCK at managing their own properties.

Ehh... Into the Spider-Verse is still the best Spidey film and some people still swear by the Raimi films. Also don't see Marvel ever making something as dumb and amazing as the Venom films.

• Disbelief 1

56 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I read somewhere that BP sold 76M ticked here so why NWH will gross more than BP but will sold 10M-15M tickets less ?

39 minutes ago, hw64 said:

That's a Box Office Mojo estimate based on yearly average ticket prices. It's not accurate for blockbuster films like Black Panther which make a sizeable chunk of their revenue from expensive premium format tickets.

BOM will likely have No Way Home at around 80m tickets sold by the same metric, which, again, won't be accurate.

@hw64 is correct. In actuality, BP was closer to SM1 in ticket sales (68-70M). I over estimated the most recent inflation push on the US dollar, so NWH at $730M will be at 66-67M or so. Average ticket price for NWH will probably equal out to about $1 more than it was for BP.

Edited by RiddlerXXR

@charlie Jatinder how accurate do you think is the ticket list at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_States_and_Canada#Adjusted_for_ticket-price_inflation

It says BP sold 76m tickets. More than TDK but less than Jurassic World. The adjusted gross also seem confusing for some movies. For example it is showing Avatars adjusted gross to be 721.49m

By all accounts all parties are eager to continue the Sony Marvel deal for at least another Tom Holland Spider-Man deal. Remember the reason why the talks collapsed after FFH was cause Disney wanted to negotiate for a different arrangement while Sony wanted to keep the original deal. I think Sony realises the value of Marvel with the Tom Holland side of the franchise.

Now as far as what else Sony has with the Spider-Man franchise let's just say NWH could be a great launching point for other avenues.