BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

9 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

Well, you have pointed out the reason why DS2 got B+ CinemaScore, its script is just as messy as NWH but NWH is a lighthearted, fanservice, formulaic Marvel film, (some Marvel fans said it's also as messy as Endgame but Endgame is so far away, personally I can't recall how messy it was anymore), at least DS2 tried to do something different, which results in the screenwriters ends up having to apologize to MCU Wanda stans for not letting her being a heroic character (even tho comic readers have foreseen it comings years ago and have already warned people about it, Wanda is just an unhinge character with a "delicate" mind who unfortunately gets over buffed by a massive power in almost every universe).

Problem is not Wanda being a villain, but the sudden heel turn made no sense. Show, not tell..!!

And it's not just about Script being a mess..... How about the movie actually being not dull, action was not much to say about too. 

And NWH was good because it used Multiverse concept very well, for a movie titled MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, there was very little Multiversal shenanigans and barely any Madness in Dr Strange. 

29 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I don't even understand why people even want different tone.

Eternals and MoM are good movie because they are different from so called formula, have different tone despite being..... Bad movies. 

This tone people are dissing is MCU's MO..... it's MCU's Identity.

Marvel make people laugh, they make fun lighthearted superhero movies which people can enjoy in theaters, that's one of the reason if they're succes among other reasons, why would people want to change it. 

Because after 13 years and 30 projects we start to get tired of the same shit. 

Many genres died because of similarly structured movies dropping constantly, and the same would happen to Marvel eventually because the idea of what people like changed along the years. The type of movies GP liked in 2005 is the flops of today, is an obvious observation and there's no reason to expect any different for SH movies if they keep doing the same forever.

I do think they're struggling a bit during this transition phase, people are still too attached with the past, while others are too tired of it, and of course they're navigating in types of filmmaking they're not used to so the results are varying.

With that said i don't think they're doing any major deviation, they're not making indie or horror movies, they're just adding new elements in what everyone expect from a blockbuster, and i'm sure this is the right decision for long-term so they won't get stucked in the specific type of content we like now when everyone gets tired of it.

And tbh most of the complains about Eternals and DS2 have nothing to do with the tone deviation they try, especially because like i said, it's not that aggressive, they just need to focus on quality control since both movies have some serious issues on script that could be fixed with more time.

I said this in DS2 thread and receive negative feedback but i stand for it, the TV shows demands too much and Kevin Feige is just one person producing 10 projects at the same time every year, they should reduce the amount of projects and give them room to breath not only on release but also on production, or hire someone to help Feige because him alone is having problems to supervising all this stuff and some serious problems are passing.

i just saw this again for the second time and i really liked it way less. i still think there’s a solid 45 minute chunk of pure Raimi awesomeness but the script and some of the rushed effects are genuinely really hard to ignore on rewatch.

i’m still glad marvel branched out a bit and i hope that they continue to. and lmao at the idea that a super niche *doctor strange* movie doing over/under 400m/1b is a sign that the mcu is weakening. let’s see how thor and black panther — two waaay more popular franchises — hold up before we go down that road lol.

17 minutes ago, Eric Strange said:

Moderation

@charlie Jatinder @THUNDER BIRD You guys didn't get the message I assume. We're done with this Eternals stuff. When I tell you to stop, you stop. Don't do it again.

you guys really do need a general mcu thread in the box office discussion subforum

• Like 2

I think there's a lot of factors at play here in terms of bad legs. Expectations not being met, the darkness/horror stuff perhaps being too much for a lot of people, confusion from casuals about big plot points etc

12 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It's that good or not so good? 

It’s … meh? A smaller increase from Fri than a typical MCU film on this weekend, but not by all that much 

The not so good number was Friday, really limited the potential for the 2nd weekend

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

you guys really do need a general mcu thread in the box office discussion subforum

I did requested it but @Eric Strange gave Marvel Media Club link, which no one visits and I honestly have no idea how it even works. Since we have Disney thread, WB thread, I think Marvel Studios General Discussion will do.

• Like 3