Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Isn't relevant to anyone under the age of 55?  That is incorrect.  

Growing up as a kid in the 80's and even early 90's was prime Top Gun age.  Came out in 1986, hit VHS and then was on constant play at many homes across the country.  Network television as well.  

It's relevant to many people still in their late 30's and for sure likely the strongest with people in their 40's.  

The original film is 36 years old, and was most popular with teens and young adult in its day. The 16- 30 crowd. Those same people are now...52 - 66 years old. Sure the film has some fans in their current 30s and 40s, but the amount of those people doesn't even resemble a group large enough to register as a blip on the radar. 

It is amusing that so many seem completely oblivious to the fact that all of these "take my breathe away" / "need for speed" / "danger zone" puns are going completely over the heads of today's 25 and under crowd.

Bought a Maverick ticket today for this Tuesday in my theaters’ PLF and it only costed me $5 dollar due to being a member and Tuesday deals.

2 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

That is simply OUTSTANDING number. Wow.  The Memorial Day record is about to get crushed.

Edited by excel1

Holdovers numbers on Thursday
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness earned $2.4M at 4,534 theaters, -14% from Wednesday for a running three week total of $354.4M.
Downton Abbey: A New Era was second with $1.3M, -11% from Wednesday for a first week’s take $22.6M at 3,820 locations.

The Bad Guys was third yesterday with $576K, +1%, at 3,705 venues and a running five week total of $76.7M.

Everything Everywhere All at Once booked at 1,576 posted a ninth Thursday of $426K, -16%, and a running cume of $54.3M.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 drew around $330K, -4%, at 2,943 for a seven week running total of $182.6M.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-box-office-1235034420/

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

MDW Record hopefully 

I would take this as indication that the Memorial Day record is about to get crushed. Also given the films elite WOM, it;'s multipliers should be high all around. I would say the odds of this beating Dr. Strange domestic total are quite good. 

If you had told me 1 year ago that TOP GUN 2 would do $19m in previews - while last Mission Impossible did $6m - I would said no way in hell. That is a gigantic number.

And no doubt some are starting to think about TOP GUN 3...

• Like 3