Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think...

MoM + Lightyear + Thor 2 (Disney)

Makes more than...

Jurassic World 3 + Minions 2 (Universal)

Unless I'm forgetting a Universal blockbuster. 

I will say it nice that another studio can challenge Disney for the crown.

Even as someone who is low on Lighyear and high on JWD, I don’t see that happening, not really even close tbh

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Set To Take Breath Away With $142M+ Record Memorial Day Opening – Box Office

FRIDAY MIDDAY UPDATE: It’s looking like a record opening for Memorial Day weekend as Joseph Kosinski’s Top Gun: Maverick is set to earn $142.4M over four days, which will easily overtake Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End which did $139.8M. It’s taken 15 years for that record to be broken. Friday for the Tom Cruise sequel is looking like $50M with an estimated 3-day of $117M. That will make Top Gun: Maverick the second biggest opener for Paramount after Iron Man 2 which debuted to $128.1M, and ahead of 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ($100.1M). Top Gun 2 is also the second biggest opening day for a Paramount title after Iron Man 2‘s $51.1M.

Look, even if these numbers recede, this is far and away (no pun intended, Mr. Cruise) the biggest opening for the 3x Oscar nominated, near 60-year old blockbuster star. See, industry, it certainly paid off for some studios to hold their movies during the pandemic until cinemas reopened.

When asked during his master class at Cannes whether straight to streaming was an option for the Skydance co-financed movie, Cruise exclaimed, “No, that’s not going to happen ever” which triggered great applause. “That was never going to happen.”

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It’s looking like a record opening for Memorial Day weekend as Joseph Kosinski’s Top Gun: Maverick is set to earn $142.4M over four days, which will easily overtake Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End which did $139.8M

UM ACKSHUALLY Pirates 3 had a 153M opening 🤓

(not that it matters anyways since it'll probably go above even that lol)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Even as someone who is low on Lighyear and high on JWD, I don’t see that happening, not really even close tbh

Agree. Even with Nope added into the equation, I I expect Universal trio will make 900M, while the Disney trio will surpass the billie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Set To Take Breath Away With $142M+ Record Memorial Day Opening – Box Office

FRIDAY MIDDAY UPDATE: It’s looking like a record opening for Memorial Day weekend as Joseph Kosinski’s Top Gun: Maverick is set to earn $142.4M over four days, which will easily overtake Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End which did $139.8M. It’s taken 15 years for that record to be broken. Friday for the Tom Cruise sequel is looking like $50M with an estimated 3-day of $117M. That will make Top Gun: Maverick the second biggest opener for Paramount after Iron Man 2 which debuted to $128.1M, and ahead of 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ($100.1M). Top Gun 2 is also the second biggest opening day for a Paramount title after Iron Man 2‘s $51.1M.

Look, even if these numbers recede, this is far and away (no pun intended, Mr. Cruise) the biggest opening for the 3x Oscar nominated, near 60-year old blockbuster star. See, industry, it certainly paid off for some studios to hold their movies during the pandemic until cinemas reopened.

When asked during his master class at Cannes whether straight to streaming was an option for the Skydance co-financed movie, Cruise exclaimed, “No, that’s not going to happen ever” which triggered great applause. “That was never going to happen.”

Working backwards from their 4-day estimate, would guess Deadline in penciling in daily splits of roughly 19/31/34/33.5/25.1 = $142.6, or 4x TFri + previews (Tu/We/Th)

If the total really is $50 by end of today, I'd take the over on that figure

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Working backwards from their 4-day estimate, would guess Deadline in penciling in daily splits of roughly 19/31/34/33.5/25.1 = $142.6, or 4x TFri + previews (Tu/We/Th)

If the total really is $50 by end of today, I'd take the over on that figure

As long as the 3-day ends up being 120M+ I'll be a happy camper.

Did I miss what the Thursday-only number was? I saw Jat's estimate of 13.5 before the studio reported 19.26 for all pre-friday shows, but 5.76 seems like a lot for Tues-Wed...

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

Did I miss what the Thursday-only number was? I saw Jat's estimate of 13.5 before the studio reported 19.26 for all pre-friday shows, but 5.76 seems like a lot for Tues-Wed...

Haven't seen an official breakdown, but previous estimates were $3.8-$3.9 for Tue and around a million for Wed, plus some perhaps non-negligible screenings added in, so not all that far off in total

• Like 1

So this is probably the 2nd most important movie for cinema box office in the pandemic right? After Spider-Man NWH of course. Cause it shows that audiences will come out for something other than a superhero in big numbers. Hopefully the older demo has come out for this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I still haven't seen TOP FUN

I guess I know what I'm doing this week-end

edit: Typo stays :hahaha:

Yeah I’ve never seen the original either. Will probably see this on Sunday. I’m 37 btw.

• Like 1

I don't think you can compare Top Gun to ET, Ghostbusters or BTTF because apart from ET, the rest had sequels. 

Top Gun's success is likely going to see more legacy sequels being greenlit. I wonder if 20th Century Studios would consider doing a third Speed film with Keanu and Sandra Bullock. There's a number of directors who could make a decent Speed film.

• Like 2