Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 minute ago, Wondy said:

To be fair, 120 days is kind of insane. I could seem them pushing for at least getting it down to 90. 

3 months was pretty much the standard for home releases for a while even before COVID. Will probably be what ends up happening here since it will be pretty much ending its run by late August anyway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

$150+ Memorial Day opening, including $21M from IMAX alone, and the first instinct is to ... move UP the home streaming release date?

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

I don't know how much they will move up but after 60 days it will may be add another $10M which is negligible. 

120 days is ridiculous. 60 days is long too but fine. 45 days is sort of best of both world.

• Like 2

Over 150 4-day? Now that's a nice memorial day number.  As an 80's baby, I'm pleased with this result.   "Top Gun" is iconic.  It's a Legendary Film.   Everyone who was alive knows where they were when the Biggest movie of 86 came out.   Don't get me started about VHS.   Top Gun was huge on Home Video and Television.   Also the gap didn't hurt it as much because the original has stood the test of time.  Even the Soundtrack Sold over 10 Million and Went Diamond.   Tom did a nice job with the nostalgia while updating this for a new era.   Also the release date ended up being perfect to match up with Memorial Day and the Armed Forces.  Yes there's been some films in the last 7 years that got the famous "Nostalgia Bump"  but it has to be the right film that people missed and want to see again.   "Top Gun" is that type of film.   Also this is a nice break from Superheroes/Comic book films.

Sadly Tony died in the process while this was development hell for so long.    But Joseph picked up the mantle.    This film followed all the sequel rules perfectly.    So though I wouldn't put it over the first (It used some of the same beats but brought some new things to the table), it was a strong sequel that fit in the universe so well.    It's sad, we always thought there was going to be a Top Gun 2 in the late 80's or 90's.   But Tom just never did sequels like that back then.    Based on the success of the first there should of been a Top Gun Trilogy by now.    But unlike the other 80's Classics that ended up having a lot of sequels, Top Gun stood the test of time as a stand alone film.   Now it has a blockbuster sequel to add to the family.   Props to Tom. once again.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

This whole argument doesnt even matter anyways. This is destined to increase in the actuals making this whole argument null and void.

If Top Gun clears 153 (or 140 without previews), then it claims the Memorial $ record... But it does matter to have an accurate record. We need to sort this out: If newer movies get to include previews, then older movies do as well... My preference has always been to keep previews out of the weekend gross. In other words, I want previews excluded from the newer movies.

By the way, talking Top Gun now on Clubhouse:

https://www.clubhouse.com/room/mZqove2k?utm_medium=ch_room_merc&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-213752

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 8

Don't know if this has been mentioned but The Lost City has crossed $100M. In addition to the congratulations to Tom for extending his reign to a fifth decade, here's to Bullock going almost as strong in what's now her fourth on top.

The Bad Guys has also been showing tremendous staying power thanks to no family competition. It's still going to be in the top 10 by the time June comes to a close (due to only four wide releases the whole month) so it might end up squeezing past $100M after all.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned but The Lost City has crossed $100M. In addition to the congratulations to Tom for extending his reign to a fifth decade, here's to Bullock going almost as strong in what's now her fourth on top.

I haven't seen this, but I'm still thinking about the magic in what Ms. Bullock pulled off in Ocean's Eight.  It's all in her eyes.  A brilliant performance that will probably never really get fully recognized.  She is amazing.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't know how much they will move up but after 60 days it will may be add another $10M which is negligible. 

120 days is ridiculous. 60 days is long too but fine. 45 days is sort of best of both world.

$10M may be negligible for one individual film's box office performance, but the cumulative effect of these shorter windows has a far greater impact the long term health of the market, especially when there isn't sufficient product rolling in behind to replace what is moving out

$10M in BO is ~800,000 admissions who will now stay home instead

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Wondy said:

To be fair, 120 days is kind of insane. I could seem them pushing for at least getting it down to 90. 

Does 120 days get the entire summer including Labor Day - then Cruise should stick to his guns, and go forward with his "Team America: World Police" movie in theaters all summer (yes, that movie title just seems like it should have been this movie's title:)!  This will play every day of the summer if it's not on demand...

It is rewatchable for movie theater subscribers and anyone who just wants to feel good at the end of the movie.  I'm gonna say, in the US, that will be about everyone...

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The movie just scored close to (and perhaps when actuals come in, the actual) Memorial Day record with an A+ CinemaScore and they want to get it on streaming sooner?

Paapabutterfly Natalie Portman GIF - Paapabutterfly Natalie Portman Natalie GIFs

I'm assuming Paramount+ is desperate for content. They've got jack shit on there now

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

$10M may be negligible for one individual film's box office performance, but the cumulative effect of these shorter windows has a far greater impact the long term health of the market, especially when there isn't sufficient product rolling in behind to replace what is moving out

$10M in BO is ~800,000 admissions who will now stay home instead

People need to move away from their straightforward mindset that streaming impact would only kick in once the movie drop digital. You cannot assume the streaming has no impact to box office, simply because the movie didn't drop much on the week when it hit digital. The negative effect could have kick in during opening weekend and the subsequent weeks.   

Let's look at Batman, a movie that only drop 50% in the 2nd weekend despite fanrush but somehow have no other weekend with below 40% drop. Are you kidding me?? Even V2, Eternals and Morbius that basically collapsed in 2nd weekend have some stabilization afterward to allow some of their weekend drop to less than 40%.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'm assuming Paramount+ is desperate for content. They've got jack shit on there now

It’s legit all I watch cause it has RuPaul All Stars. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Paramount is desperate to make Paramount+ happen. Newsflash: it's not going to (at least in their current state)! Even Peacock is more likely to survive.

I thought Paramount+ was doing well? They're not at Disney+ levels or anything but the subscriber numbers they release seem to show good increases IIRC.

So far, movies dropping on Paramount+ have held well in theaters but I don't see how Paramount is going to go to Tom after this weekend with the upper hand. "Look at The Lost City's great holds?" Come on. Not that any movie needs a 120 day window any more, but what is their leverage now, exactly? I would hope this more Belloni Baloney but Hollywood seems full of not bright execs, it's probably true.

1 hour ago, Brandon Gray said:

If Top Gun clears 153 (or 140 without previews), then it claims the Memorial $ record... But it does matter to have an accurate record. We need to sort this out: If newer movies get to include previews, then older movies do as well... My preference has always been to keep previews out of the weekend gross. In other words, I want previews excluded from the newer movies.

By the way, talking Top Gun now on Clubhouse:

https://www.clubhouse.com/room/mZqove2k?utm_medium=ch_room_merc&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-213752

The issue with that is that we have to then add in midnight screening money into the weekend.

Movies used to separate previews from OD but used to add in the midnight screening money into OD (makes sense as it's the same date as OD)

The new movies don't separate out midnight numbers, so previews are just one set altogether. We would need Previews - Money made from midnight and later shows - Money made on OD all separated.

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This isn’t the first time Brandon Gray has busted Paramount. The other geezers like me probably remember when Paramount fudged the 5-day gross of Transformers 2 to reach $200M. Brandon nailed them in his reporting. He even put an asterisk on the report. Paramount gave some BS excuse about finding money in Puerto Rico. It was pretty damn funny. 

I remember this too. It was legendary. Also how they underestimated it for quite a few days to catch up with the truth

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This isn’t the first time Brandon Gray has busted Paramount. The other geezers like me probably remember when Paramount fudged the 5-day gross of Transformers 2 to reach $200M. Brandon nailed them in his reporting. He even put an asterisk on the report. Paramount gave some BS excuse about finding money in Puerto Rico. It was pretty damn funny. 

@Plain Old Tele

We need the pictures 

If Bullet Train is a well-liked hit this August, I'm almost certain that a Speed sequel with Reeves/Bullock is going to be announced with David Leitch as the director.