EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

16 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Will get their imo with a probable 55M+ weekend + weekdays another 40M+

It needs $105M, not $95M.

Probably won’t get there but could be close enough that it crosses it on day 18 or 19.

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

90M second weekend drop is absolutely insane given that it's off 100M+ 3 day or 150M+ 4 day OW, not 200M 3 day. This shit is historical. :worthy:✈️

If we remove previews and adjust the first Sunday slightly to make a normal Fri-Sun OW (around 100M give or take), it dropped 10%. 

TEN. FUCKING. PERCENT.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Looking at the unbelievable numbers Top Gun Maverick is pulling and how successfully they also revitalized the Mission: Impossible franchise, I keep wondering how the hell did Cruise and McQuarrie screw the Mummy reboot so badly.

Because the two franchises are incomparable and The Mummy had no business being a pure action film....

....or even a Tom Cruise film for that matter.

Audiences like Mission Impossible films being very Mission Impossible-ey andlike Top Gun films being very Top Gun-ey. They certainly don't want their Mummy films being either Mission Impossible-ey or Top Gun-ey.

"Look, Tom did this awesome practical stunt on a plane" is a great way to sell the first two. It was an outright idiotic way to sell the third.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

Never saw the original and still kinda teared up like a bitch near the end. Fantastic movie

15 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Dax Shepard giving free advertising for Top Gun: Maverick (at 7:50 and 11:28). 😂

"It's a perfect movie. I haven't had that much fun in a movie theatre since I saw The Matrix... 20+ years."

Peace,

Mike

@BestPicturePlutoNash  This is why MAVERICK is going to be at the very least nominated for something at year's end.  Both in and outside Hollywood, nearly everyone is praising it, and as a movie on its own, regardless of its sequel status.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think that was online expectations in certain quarters though. By the standards of "just" a second Doctor Strange film, which is - essentially - what it was, it improved significantly on the first and made a good amount.

That online expectation was the sole reason that the movie opened to such huge numbers in the first place. I think is pretty revisionist to say that this was "just a second DS movie".

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Dax Shepard giving free advertising for Top Gun: Maverick (at 7:50 and 11:28). 😂

"It's a perfect movie. I haven't had that much fun in a movie theatre since I saw The Matrix... 20+ years."

Peace,

Mike

Do they have to pay Dax Shepard too for promoting their film? 

Just now, Flamengo81 said:

That online expectation was the sole reason that the movie opened to such huge numbers in the first place. I think is pretty revisionist to say that this was "just a second DS movie".

McAdams, Wong, Olson and Ejiofor were prominently displayed in the trailers.

There was one small cameo hinted at. There was no indication in trailers or marketing to the general audience of the kind of fireworks that the Online Types got excited about. 

In contrast NWH had already promised Defoe, Molina and Reptile along with Strange indicating the scale of that story.

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

@BestPicturePlutoNash  This is why MAVERICK is going to be at the very least nominated for something at year's end.  Both in and outside Hollywood, nearly everyone is praising it, and as a movie on its own, regardless of its sequel status.  

Lmao its June, dude. Lets see how the industry votes 9 months from now

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Lmao its June, dude. Lets see how the industry votes 9 months from now

Sure, like I said earlier, perhaps there will be too many other great films emerging at the end of the year that take the wind.  But as of right NOW, based on the kind of talk it's getting/receiving, I'll make a bet that it will be in the conversation.  

Just now, Macleod said:

Sure, like I said earlier, perhaps there will be too many other great films emerging at the end of the year that take the wind.  But as of right NOW, based on the kind of talk it's getting/receiving, I'll make a bet that it will be in the conversation.  

Yes, it'll be in the conversation. Nobody is denying that. And yes of course right now as it's the biggest movie in theaters, it's receiving talk. But again, we'll see if it slips into the Oscars Best Picture top 10 in 7-8 months from now. I think it'll be tough but sure, there's a chance

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yes, it'll be in the conversation. Nobody is denying that. And yes of course right now as it's the biggest movie in theaters, it's receiving talk. But again, we'll see if it slips into the Oscars Best Picture top 10 in 7-8 months from now. I think it'll be tough but sure, there's a chance

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

That's all I wanted to hear from you.  😁  We just disagree on how tough the chances are! 

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

That's all I wanted to hear from you.  😁  We just disagree on how tough the chances are! 

It'll be very tough. There's still all the fall festival releases and Paramount has bigger campaign and contender with Babylon. And not to mention the fact Top Gun will struggle for the SAG awards in main category and DGA, it's going to be an uphill battle. But yeah, it'll have fans and will get technical nominations at the least.