Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

16 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm confused. The thread title says this is the Jurassic World: Dominion weekend thread. I was looking for the Top Gun: Maverick third weekend thread.

confused-what.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm confused. The thread title says this is the Jurassic World: Dominion weekend thread. I was looking for the Top Gun: Maverick third weekend thread.

FTFY!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Where do I find the Downton Abbey A New Era 4th Weekend thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I gave you a "haha" so now things are an even 3 with all three reactions :)

Just now, AJG said:

OW?!?!?!

In my wet dreams.

No, for total, but 50M+ should pretty much be the floor i think. @Olive posted Maoyan predictions in the China thread and that had 15M for OD (101M Yuan) and 150M (1006M Yuan) for total if my currency calculator didnt lie to me.

Speaking of Top Gun, it's likely to finally topple Titanic for the biggest Paramount movie ever with a 25-year streak behind it. It made me want to look at all the other studios and their biggest movies and see what coming down the pipeline has a shot.

Disney: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (936.6M)

WB: The Dark Knight (533.7M)

Universal: Jurassic World (652.3M)

Sony: Spider-Man: No Way Home (804.6M)

Paramount: Titanic (659.4M)

Lionsgate: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (424.7M)

Paramount’s gonna get it through Top Gun, unless I suddenly jinx it, so we’re good there. We’re probably not getting anything from Sony that will be on this level for a long time. Probably not until they reboot Spider-Man yet again and fortysomething Tom Holland is forced back into the role next to some new whippersnapper. Universal’s also probably going to have Jurassic World as their biggest for a long while. Maybe Shrek 5 if it’s really, really good, but that’s a real “everything has to go right” situation. I guess the next Jurassic movie could do it if they get a really strong hook or concept, but I don't know what else they can use.

Weirdly Disney feels like the strongest candidate with all those Avatar sequels, even though they’re way above everybody else. I think at least one could get to 1B domestically. Maybe even Way of Water, who knows? For Warner, the inevitable Harry Potter 9 should cross this, but that’s probably not happening for a while. I feel like people will shout for The Batman 2, but that seems more like a 400M range grosser IMO. And for Lionsgate...umm...a Twilight legacyquel? The Twilight renaissance has died down a ton, but Pats and Stewart are bigger than ever, so you never know...I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Just here for the TGM run. JWD is a bad movie, so I hope it collapses fast and TGM is again number 1. 😌

Why not both overperform? Clearly there are space to accommodate two giant.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why not both overperform? Clearly there are space to accommodate two giant.

For the industry's sake, I'm crossing my fingers that JWD crosses $400m DOM and 1B WW.

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 1

I think audience won't be that harsh as critics. It won't be getting Toxic WOM, it is certainly enjoyable but problem us that enjoyable part comes bit late in this movie.

Compared to JW and FK where action was from the get go. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cheddar Please said:

For the health of the industry's sake, I'm crossing my fingers that JWD crosses $400m DOM and 1B WW.

Yeah, some posters here will laugh if Dominion should "collapse", but theaters surely wont. Dominion is exactly the kind of movie that can make or break a box office season for many theaters. Top Gun alone isnt enough, the other big movies must perform as well.

• Like 1

Anyone else thinks that pandemic is still in effect somewhat, even if people don't care about it in general, movie going is a different activity than just going to restaurant or a fair.

I think it has affected movie watching habit temporarily, And not every movie is Spiderman NWH, it was once a generation stuff. 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anyone else thinks that pandemic is still in effect somewhat, even if people don't care about it in general, movie going is a different activity than just going to restaurant or a fair.

I think it has affected movie watching habit temporarily, And not every movie is Spiderman NWH, it was once a generation stuff. 

Tbf if NWH and Top Gun have shown us anything, is that the box office is still capable of delivering surprise megahits on a consistent basis