EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

85M Worldwide? Holy shit. 

This is... BOMB level. 

People put to much on the "Oh it's because of Disney Plus". While I do agree that's a factor, I think the main one is just the movie itself. Period. One of the most uninteresting Pixar movies of the last years. And screams "we want to milk this franchise so damn hard". 

Disney, since you are reading this right now, read closely. You need to redeem this franchise. Set Toy Story 5 for 2024 right fucking now. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, if I'm Paramount, I want them now through the July 4th holiday - strike while the iron is red hot and people are still so motivated to see it (and no other movie surpasses that desire)...

Contracts with other studios. Minions is getting IMAX screens all day for the whole week (which doesn't seem wise if you ask me but I digress), followed by Thor getting them for two full weeks after that, followed by Nope getting them for two full weeks after that (due to being shot with IMAX cameras), followed by Bullet Train, followed by the E.T. re-release the week after that. Earliest they can get IMAX screens back for a full day is August 19, and that's assuming Beast doesn't get a last minute release in the format.

1 minute ago, Juan Caballo said:

This is... BOMB level. 

People put to much on the "Oh it's because of Disney Plus". While I do agree that's a factor, I think the main one is just the movie itself. Period. One of the most uninteresting Pixar movies of the last years. And screams "we want to milk this franchise so damn hard". 

Disney, since you are reading this right now, read closely. You need to redeem this franchise. Set Toy Story 5 for 2024 right fucking now. 

Or let the Toy Story franchise retire in peace while it still has its dignity. TS4 being good was a miracle, not sure if a TS5 would be any better than Lightyear.

• Like 6

Just now, Mango said:

Tbh as long as they don’t jump the gun and shove it on Paramount Plus too early, Top Gun would probably be a prime Labor Day expansion for premium screens

The Jaws re-release is getting IMAX and apparently regular 3D screens on Labor Day weekend. Surprised MGM didn't try and push for premium screens for Three Thousand Years of Longing though I guess it doesn't matter if the movie seems doomed to make little to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

This is... BOMB level. 

Since when does Disney read this forum lmfao 😂 😂😂

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The Jaws re-release is getting IMAX and apparently regular 3D screens on Labor Day weekend. Surprised MGM didn't try and push for premium screens for Three Thousand Years of Longing though I guess it doesn't matter if the movie seems doomed to make little to begin with.

Three Thousand Years will probably get Dolby and other theater based PLFs (maybe IMAX for two days before Jaws since it's a mid-week release)

12 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

While I do agree that's a factor, I think the main one is just the movie itself. Period.

This is it. This is very much it.

Badly marketed in terms of making it appealing

Badly marketed in terms of making the purpose of the movie and its relationship to Toy Story clear to audiences

Badly marketed in terms of the movie that exists not being the movie that was advertised

Badly executed in its second act

Badly executed in terms of some of its secondary characters and voice casting

Badly executed in terms of consistent tone

It's not the worst movie Pixar have put out. But it is definitely the most poorly positioned.

Thing is of all the things it IS, it ISNT a cash in. It looks like it is. Heck, a cash-in - with silly adventures, wacky Zurg and aliens being mischievous and cameos from the other toys - would have been better than what this is and certainly made more money.

It's a walkthrough of a think piece sci-fi film. But Disneyfied enough that it doesn't even get the benefits of good think piece sci-fi.

The fabulousness that is Sox didn't deserve this. Heaven knows how bad bad things would have got without him.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3

Just now, AniNate said:

The lesson I want Disney to learn is definitely not "make Toy Story 5"

Honestly, I think Pixar should stick to originals for the next few years although I do think they could try and perhaps break their habit of only doing original stories and perhaps adapt a children's story or character for a film. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cookie said:

Let the fudging begin.

Why do we have so many near miss to 100m here? Encanto, FB3 and now this....

46 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

01. Elvis - 38M - i think this could even do 40M+, im optimistic about it

02. Top Gun - 34M

03. JWD - 28M - i think loosing all remaining PLF's will hurt it a lot

04. LY - 22M

05. Black Phone - 21M - i hope for far more, horror needs another solid performer

ELvis that high?? So elvis, a biographical drama is possible to beat FB3 in total? 

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Why do we have so many near miss to 100m here? Encanto, FB3 and now this....

ELvis that high?? So elvis, a biographical drama is possible to beat FB3 in total? 

Not just possible, it's going to smash it.  

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Elvis' early reception is good, presales look not bad for the type of movie it is and in general, music-themed biopics have done really well in the last few years.

• Like 1