Eric Quinn

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Gonna say Barbie gonna be closer to Dune in terms of they got here than Dora or Cats. Relatively popular IP, same distributor, critically acclaimed populist director with a fanbase, and a stacked cast. All the twitter chatter honestly just takes me back to when Dune started trending on twitter top 10 because of a bunch of character posters (something I've seen almost never happen).

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Yes, $48.75m including previews.  

10.75m

38m

35m

30m (=> 113.75m)

18m

13m

10m

9m (=> 163.75m)

should be doable

or really optimistic:

10.75m

38m

40m

36m (=>124.75m)

23m

16m

13m

11m (=>187.75m)

At least at my location, I cannot remember the last time an animated kids film did THIS well on opening day.

Not Toy Story 4. Not Into the Spiderverse. Hell, not even 2019's Lion King. I'm telling you guys, Minions 2 is a beast, and I can't even explain it, even as BOT's resident tiktoker. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

At least at my location, I cannot remember the last time an animated kids film did THIS well on opening day.

Not Toy Story 4. Not Into the Spiderverse. Hell, not even 2019's Lion King. I'm telling you guys, Minions 2 is a beast, and I can't even explain it, even as BOT's resident tiktoker. 

I think Holiday opening day helps.

Weird how US has no Holiday opening days really. Most holidays are Sunday or Monday. 

The fix date ones are July 4th, which isn't good for BO, Xmas is mixed bag and Juneteenth we didn't had an opener yet.

The closest is Good Friday I guess.

Next summer's gonna be something goddamn insane. I'm certain one of these will be a megabreakout we can't see coming, but the FLOOR for some of these seems rather high...

Mermaid 380

Guardians 3 360

Indiana Jones 330

Marvels 300

Mission Impossible 280

Spiderverse 280

Barbie 260

Flash, I... don't think anyone can predict this at the moment...

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

2023 summer

Little mermaid 450-500m

Guardians 3.   450m

Marvel's.        380-400m+

Indy 5.            350m

MI7.               280-300m

Spiderverse.  275m

Barbie.           250m+

Flash is a wild card 200-300m+

John wick -170-200m

Transformers. 150-200m

Oppenheimer  150m.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Weird how US has no Holiday opening days really. Most holidays are Sunday or Monday. 

The fix date ones are July 4th, which isn't good for BO, Xmas is mixed bag and Juneteenth we didn't had an opener yet.

BP2's holiday OD is positive for BO

4 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

All this overeaction with Disney (as a brand in general and not animation) will end when Avatar 2 just go completely nuts in December and then people will flip and starting saying again: "Disney is just too powerful", "Disney monopolizes the box office", "Disney needs to be stopped", etc... 🙄

I don't think anyone will say that. It's literally going to be their only Billion movie of the year. 

There's also a real lack of presence by Disney in 2022. And even when it feels they're here, it goes fast because it's just not impressive. 

It looks like Disney will be fine but... the competitive Disney seems over. The Disney people would rush to see. 

And people say it's good... how? Isn't the point of all this to make box office thrive? That's what Disney used to do. 

Wouldn't it be nice if the 2019 Disney Co-existed with today's performers? I mean, let's be honest. In 2019, the other studios were a fucking joke because of what they mostly brought to the table. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Next summer's gonna be something goddamn insane. I'm certain one of these will be a megabreakout we can't see coming, but the FLOOR for some of these seems rather high...

Mermaid 380

Guardians 3 360

Indiana Jones 330

Marvels 300

Mission Impossible 280

Spiderverse 280

Barbie 260

Indiana Jones 330? I don't know if kids are there to see a 90 years old man running. But who knows. 

• Like 1

People underestimate Barbie and overestimate Little Mermaid. Why the heck is LM expected to make 500M? Aladdin had Will Smith. BatB had Emma Watson. LM has...Melissa McCarthy. OK, Melissa is fine but she has boxoffice limit unlike Smith, and audience was really stoked for Watson as Belle for some reason so that's that. She opens cheap and mid movies. 

Barbie hype has crossed into GA mainstream. People are sensing something special is on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if it outgrossed the Marvels like TGM outgrossed DS2. I'm gonna make Yes We Ken! Barbie Over the Marvels Dom Total club on July 21 which will be 1 year before Barbie release. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Juby said:

Holy shit! Can TGM beat Titanic's 6th weekend??! That would be second time ever (only Avatar did that before).

3klo.gif

i see it very probable, if does 7,3 on friday, even with only 33 % bump on saturday is almost 10 and the same on sunday makes 26-27 easily, a monster!!!!

Edited by setna

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Mermaid 380

Guardians 3 360

Indiana Jones 330

Marvels 300

Mission Impossible 280

Spiderverse 280

Barbie 260

Everyone forgets about Blue Beetle. He may be an unknown character but there’s strong appeal there from Latino audiences (and the character is of Mexican descent). Hoping for a breakout there! 

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Indiana Jones 330? I don't know if kids are there to see a 90 years old man running. But who knows. 

Yeah, I think this will attract nostalgia crowd and no one else. The cast around Ford just isn't young enough to interest younger audience. Also, no one is like Pratt right after GOTG (2014) that boosted interest in Jurassic World (2015).

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer is in a rough spot even without Barbie already confirming itself as the big opener for that weekend. Mission: Impossible the weekend before, The Marvels the weekend after. They should try and position it as an awards contender in the fall to avoid getting overshadowed by everything surrounding it.

You have to wonder if Nolan slightly regrets teaming up with Universal rather than stick with WB. In any case, I think October 26th would be best. 

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I rage against Disney as much as anyone, but this is likely a bit over the top.  Disney isn't dying, they are just going into the natural cyclical dip that a lot of companies go through.  They went through it multiple times before and this won't be the last time.  

I hate me some Bob Chapek and think he is incompetent, but the board and shareholders rule.  Even though they extended him, he and Kareem know that they aren't exactly beloved.  While they tried to go 1000% streaming, others have figured out that it simply isn't the way other than if you want to watch a few billion dollars burn.  

There is room for everything.  Room for theatrical, room for PVOD, room for streaming.  If you do it right, they actually end up enhancing each other, not taking away.  Warner Bros. has figured it out.  Universal is figuring it out.  Paramount figured it out.  

Disney will figure it out as well  

I agree, the way people are going on, you'd think they were going to become extinct, a company like Disney is still successful not just with the films but theme parks, theatre and merchandise. It's the same with Pixar, one unsuccessful film won't lead to their demise or an eternity on Disney+. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Ha haha, very good.
But for the same reason, i don´t think people under 20 are going to see Top Gun and is gonna make 600 +

1 minute ago, setna said:

Ha haha, very good.
But for the same reason, i don´t think people under 20 are going to see Top Gun and is gonna make 600 +

TGM has real jet flights, cool pilots, and Cruise isn't 90! He's still very relevant with younger audience thanks to MI. 

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Veteran’s Day (11/11) is also a fixed date but occasionally falls on Fri or even Thur and helps opening Friday