Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I can’t say I foresee TGM to be a success of this scale but I never thought it would flop as long as the movie is decently received. TGM is the most right wing friendly movie that I have seen once the trailer drop. A crowd that was severely underserved by Hollywood for years, forgetting the fact that there are still freaking 46% of the people in this country vote for trump when he supposed to be the most hated president ever.   

Sicario 2 and Rambo: Last Blood were both right wing friendly movies and didn’t perform that great. Sicario 2 is literally about Mexican cartels smuggling terrorists into the U.S. I think Top Gun’s over performance is due to it feeling like an 80s movie with today’s technology, which is appealing to the older crowd. And it’s drawing in young people who wouldn’t have seen it otherwise from the rave reviews and great word of mouth. I had no interest in seeing it until the reviews came out and it’s my second favourite movie of the year.

• Like 2

I’m with XXR, expect live action would have done better. Though that’s partially because I expect they would have done a different movie so just baking in some regression to the mean 😂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Honestly, it's fucking fantastic and shows that kids and people in general don't want to sit in their living rooms and watch streaming movies for the rest of their lives. 

People want to get out in groups, they want to have shared experiences, they want to do something that makes them feel alive.  They even want the chance at getting laid and doing something fun.  

This is why theatrical will not only survive, but thrive.  Streaming will always be there as well, but it will be for shows and series, not movies.  

Or they just want to shitpost

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Looks like minions could drop on Sat unless walk-ups are huge .

Still going for that 100m+ 3 day OW which is still great but could have been more.

While the more the merrier, At least it didn't flop like LY. Plus, nobody expected it to do this huge last week.

1 minute ago, Ghost Mountain said:

I don’t think Barbie will be that big of a success. Minions already has a solid base of families seeing it and the meme crowd is just a  boost on top of that. But for Barbie, I don’t really see who the target audience would be.

Yea I don't get the Barbie hype either. I expect an opening under $40M (and likely under $30M). 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, LegendaryBen said:

I'm sad it won't do much at BO unless its wide release goes well for it.

Meanwhile, EEAO gross another 141k on Friday. 2% drop from last week, should stay flat with at least 500k on week 15(!).

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Black Panther and Shazam! 2

Other than that, just a bunch of garbge in blue paint that nobody cares about!

And I get the feeling Ticket to Paradise is gonna be huge.

4 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Yea I don't get the Barbie hype either. I expect an opening under $40M (and likely under $30M). 

What's the opening date for Barbie?  If it's not Mother's Day weekend which sets up a huge open followed by high school proms, and then gives it Memorial Day (summer vibes) and the June summer weekdays/high school grad parties, I'll encourage a rethink.

12 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Looks like minions could drop on Sat unless walk-ups are huge .

Still going for that 100m+ 3 day OW which is still great but could have been more.

Families may still be iffy on movie going - I'm gonna be interested in demo breakdowns for Minions and how many are 13-25 males vs any other category.

This movie could have been driven like Spiderman Homecoming vs a normal family movie...

I think Barbie is gonna be very big and outgross Oppenheimer as it stands. Like 50-60m OW won’t surprise me. My history with Nolan is known. Even before Barbie I thought it should move. Today just reinforces it

Edited by MrPink