Maggie

NOPE Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: Nope 44, Thor 22.1, Minions 17.71, Crawdads 10.3, TGM 10

20 minutes ago, M37 said:

US audiences seem to have a general distaste for movies where the landscape is sandy

Good: Space, Jungle, Water

Bad: Desert, Forrest, Mountains  

Yes, there are exceptions, they don’t all need to be listed :sadno:

are you the same studio executive that cancelled every vampire movie in development after Morbius bombed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Panda said:

What??

Star Wars

Dune

Lawrence of Arabia

The Mummy

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Mad Max

Logan

THE ENTIRE WESTERN GENRE??

Sure, Star Wars has sand/desert scenes, but the entire premise takes place in space

Dune had major PLF factor, great WOM … and grossed less than a movie based off a 65-year old Disney ride in Jungle Cruise

Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Guess I should clarify that this is more of a modern audience thing  

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure, Star Wars has sand/desert scenes, but the entire premise takes place in space

Dune had major PLF factor, great WOM … and grossed less than a movie based off a 65-year old Disney ride in Jungle Cruise

You’re outright overlooking the fact Dune made what it did while being available for free on streaming lmao.

Please stop.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah. It is vastly overhyped. Domestic box office of Dune was meh. 

6.4?  Very Very Good.   Jordan normally keep budgets in check which is why both "Get Out" and "Us" were profitable.  This movie he got his biggest budget yet.   I'm very impressed with fact Jordan has done 3 back to back to back original concepts in the horror/suspense genre.   No Sequels or Adaptations, nothing wrong with doing those but I always give the nod to original concepts.  Reminds me of how M Knight  started.   Can't wait to check this out, I know that title probably has multiple meanings.  

42 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You’re outright overlooking the fact Dune made what it did while being available for free on streaming lmao.

Please stop.

And JC came out at a time when not many kids were not yet able to be vaccinated 

If a movie has excellent WOM, it can still break out regardless (as most of the exceptions people will note had - Dune, Logan, Mad Max, True Grit - and vice versa, which is why I said not to list them). But the days of continually successful westerns, desert adventures, swords & sandals, etc have largely passed

I’m not claiming this is a good or bad trend,  but that audience seem to lean towards a more CGI-heavy visual and corresponding action, so the traditional slower moving story with an outdoorsy backdrop & panoramic cinematography - like deserts, mountains & forests - has lost its luster. If the sand is a character in your story, it had better be a beach or because there’s a monster in it 

Edited by M37

1 hour ago, M37 said:

And JC came out at a time when not many kids were not yet able to be vaccinated 

If a movie has excellent WOM, it can still break out regardless (as most of the exceptions people will note had - Dune, Logan, Mad Max, True Grit - and vice versa, which is why I said not to list them). But the days of continually successful westerns, desert adventures, swords & sandals, etc have largely passed

I’m not claiming this is a good or bad trend,  but that audience seem to lean towards a more CGI-heavy visual and corresponding action, so the traditional slower moving story with an outdoorsy backdrop & panoramic cinematography - like deserts, mountains & forests - has lost its luster. If the sand is a character in your story, it had better be a beach or because there’s a monster in it 

You cannot just go and say any of the numerous counterexamples are just special cases.

Your argument sums down to:

“My take is obviously right because I thought of it, do not argue with me.”

which is a bad faith argument lol. Especially since Nope is about to open to over 40m (maybe even 50m) which is good for an original horror movie.

Edited by The Panda

13 minutes ago, Eric the Tethered said:

@YM! Jordan's a real one

He’s not a just a King, he’s Daddy Emperor Peele.

I love RDCWorld, didn’t know you were a fan @Eric the Tethered. Did you hear about their housing situation?

Edited by YM!