Maggie

NOPE Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: Nope 44, Thor 22.1, Minions 17.71, Crawdads 10.3, TGM 10

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Nope isn't breaking out but it's doing decent.

I don't think Peele's career is threatened at all. 

Hollywood will still throw money at him.

It's by far the biggest OW for non-IP movies since 2019 i think, surpassing Elvis for a good +15M 

I think everyone will see this a massive win

• Like 2

Saw a noon showing of Nope. Maybe 15 or so of us in the theater. It is an interesting movie as it goes long stretches where nothing much happens but it still manages to tell a credible story if you can buy the premise. I will say the film has by far one of the best character backstories (for Steven Yeun's character) that I have ever seen. I'd line up to watch a prequel spin-off movie involving his character if it delved into the subject matter shown in Nope.

Overall, I'd give the movie an A- or B+ as Peele has a well-crafted movie on his hands. I think audiences will like it; however, I don't think many of them will love it which will probably hurt its legs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

So what was the reason for not allowing reviews for Nope until day before previews when its got good reviews (great on MC)? Not even Marvel opens it that late

They held screenings very late because the movie wasn't finished until like two-three weeks prior, IIRC.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Early Fri estimates (studio source):

Nope 20.0

Thor 5.6

Minions 5.1

Craw 3.1

TGM 2.8

That would be the biggest original film opening since Us, from the same director, in 2019. 

Was hoping for $50m but mid to high 40’s is still a win and locks in $100m+. A notable drop from his last two films though, but still a hit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That would be the biggest original film opening since Us, from the same director, in 2019. 

Was hoping for $50m but mid to high 40’s is still a win and locks in $100m+. A notable drop from his last two films though, but still a hit. 

It’s a drop from Us, but it’s above Get Out’s $33 million OW.

Deadline version of #'s

Nope, is looking at a $20M first Friday, including last night’s $6.4M previews, on its way to a $45M start... In second Disney/Marvel’s Thor: Love & Thunder looks to do $5.7M in its third Friday at 4,370 theaters, -58% from a week ago for an estimated weekend between $19M-20M, and running total of $274.5M. Universal/Illumination’s Minions: The Rise of Gru at 3,816 is seeing $5.1M in its fourth Friday, -38% from a week ago, for a 3-day of $16.6M, -38% and a running total of $296.7M. Sony’s Where the Crawdads Sing at 3,650 locations is counting between $2.6M-$3M and a second weekend between $8.6M-$10M, -41% on the high end for a running total of $38M. Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick booked at 3,160 in its 9th weekend is seeing a $2.5M Friday, $8.85M 3-day, -28% for a running cume by Sunday of $635.4M. The Melrose Ave. lot’s Paws of Fury at 3,481 theaters, counts a $1M Friday for a second weekend of $3.34M, -47% and a ten-day total of $13.2M.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-nope-1235074926/

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Nope isn't breaking out but it's doing decent.

I don't think Peele's career is threatened at all. 

Hollywood will still throw money at him.

I don't think this was ever in doubt tbf

5 hours ago, M37 said:

Sure, Star Wars has sand/desert scenes, but the entire premise takes place in space

Dune had major PLF factor, great WOM … and grossed less than a movie based off a 65-year old Disney ride in Jungle Cruise

Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Guess I should clarify that this is more of a modern audience thing  

Imagine if that Luke fella had grown up in a jungle. I'd bet pennies from heaven that that there Star Wars film would have blown off a lot of wigs with that premise.

Can't wait for The Rock's next flop, Dune Cruise.

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Halloween Kills could have done it if it wasn't for the day and date

yeah for sure. even with exclusivity i don't think halloween ends is gonna get there, thanks to Kills reception and these apparent rumblings that Ends will turn audiences off even more.