Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/14-16) | Weekend Estimates: Halloween Ends 40.05, Smile 12.6, Lyle 7.3, Woman King 3.7, Amsterdam 2.8

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A decent start for Till. PTA is gonna be similar to what Green Book ($12,817 from 25 theaters) and The Hate U Give ($14,223 from 36 theaters) did on their limited opening weekends. Hopefully it expands well.

TAR's expansion indicates it unsurprisingly won't have much crossover appeal beyond metropolitan areas. I imagine it'll find a much bigger audience once it's available on streaming.

With all the free Amazon tickets pumping up that number, I'm not sure expansion will go as well as the number might normally portend...

• Like 1

NEW ANTI-STREAMING RANT FROM DEADLINE ANTHONY JUST DROPPED!!!!!

Riddle me this, Jeff Shell: So you take a branded film, deflate its optics by making it day-and-date with a headlined lower box office number in exchange for financials, streaming viewership and subscriber numbers which can’t be immediately publicly disclosed? Or will be disclosed weeks from now? Or will be leaked to the Wall Street Journal (remember Trolls World Tour near $100M puffy number according to sources)? And this is done at a time when the theatrical part of the business is starving and lacking product, and when Wall Street is falling out of love with streaming? A reminder that the equity players in Halloween Ends are Blumhouse, Trancas and Miramax, who were bought out whole for this experiment, and Uni is only getting a global distribution fee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

With all the free Amazon tickets pumping up that number, I'm not sure expansion will go as well as the number might normally portend...

We'll what happens when it opens everywhere on the 28th (the date that's mostly been highlighted in the marketing). For now, it's doing well.

Deadline Top 10

1.) Halloween Ends (Uni) 3,901 theaters, Fri $20.2M, 3-day $43.4M/Wk 1

2.) Smile (Par) 3,612 theaters (-47), Fri $3.73M (-31%),$12M (-35%), 3-day $70.7M/Wk 3

3.) Lyle, Lyle Crocodile (Sony) 4,350 theaters, Fri $2M (-43%), 3-day $7.25M (-36%)/Total: $22.6M/Wk 2

4.) The Woman King (Sony) 2,565 (-777) theaters Fri $1.35M (-26%), 3-day $3.765M (-27%)/Total $59.8M/Wk 5

5.) Amsterdam (Dis) 3,005 theaters, Fri $888K (-66%),, 3-day $2.9M (-54%)/Total: $12M/Wk 2

6.) Don’t Worry Darling (NL/WB), 2,734 (-590) theaters, Fri $740K (-35%), 3-day $2.3M (-34%)/Total $42.5M/ Wk 4

7.) Barbarian (20th/Dis) 1,805 theaters (-355), Fri $406K (-35%) 3-day $1.3M (-39%)/Total $38.9M/Wk 6

8.) Bros (Uni) 2,201 theaters (-1,155), Fri $290K (-57%) 3-day $900K (-58%)/Total $10.8M/ Wk 3

9.) Terrifier 2 (Iconic) 700 theaters (-186), Fri $250K (-2%), 3-day $803K (even), Total $2.2M/Wk 2
Talk about a window working for a low-budget horror film — this Iconic Releasing title from filmmaker Damien Leone is holding firm in sync with its $805K opening weekend. 

10.) Top Gun Maverick (Par) 902 (-225) theaters, Fri $200K (-11%), 3-day $680K (-16%), Total: $715.8M/Wk 21

22 minutes ago, Eric Strode said:

7.) Barbarian (20th/Dis) 1,805 theaters (-355), Fri $406K (-35%) 3-day $1.3M (-39%)/Total $38.9M/Wk 6

Looking good for $40m+ before the HBO Max release unfortunately nukes it.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

how about no Heather? The final confrontation was already done really well in New Nightmare 

I’m desperate for a new Nightmare on Elm Street film, but I don’t need Heather back. 

I agree, New Nightmare is great. 

11 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Wow 20 Million for Michael OD even with streaming hybrid release.    That's fantastic.   Sorry Jason and Freddy.   Michael is still killin it.   You guys need some reboots.   

il_794xN.3312894761_vb2p.jpg

It is pretty great since it seems pretty widely panned, a third film in a row and the day and date release. 

Freddy and Jason could easily do bigger than this will end up doing..

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Man... I completely forgot about Bros. Streaming soon hopefully.

Just got back from it. Me and the two other people in the audience were all laughing our asses off. I wish it was 2010 again, so that this movie would actually make the money it deserves. Pity that.

Prior to the new Halloween reboot the Nightmare on Elm Street series was the biggest in terms of adjusted BO average.

(I excluded Freddy vs. Jason)

A Nightmare on Elm Street: $75.3m (8 films) Highest: $110m Part IV Lowest: $40.6m Part VII

Halloween: $66.1m (10 films) Highest: $160m Part 1 Lowest: $26.7m Part V

Friday the 13th: $66m (11 films) Highest: $135m Part 1 Lowest: $20.7m Part X

Nightmare on Elm street kept increasing until its peak with Part IV.

Halloween dropped off a cliff after Part II before rebounding with H20.

Friday the 13th was able to stay strong to Part IV before it started milking the fans dry ultimately leading to the box office nadir of all the films Jason X.

The two new Halloween films bump the series up to an average of $76m overtaking Nightmare. It will be interesting to see how new Nightmare/Friday movies tip the scales.

• Like 1

I also loved I know what You did Last Summer.

I would love to see another Nightmare on Elm Street with Heather and robert.

New Nightmare is the second best nightmare in my opinion after the original of course.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

I unapologetically love this movie and bought the new 4K disc 

It's a movie I always thought I liked but hadn't seen in years. I think it's the central premise that is sticky. The moral quandary at its core. I saw it again recently and it's almost unwatchable. The only person who can act in the entire movie is Anne Heche. JLH just screams and shrieks obnoxiously for 90s minutes. SMG also can't act but her entire death setpiece is a highlight. This is one that, nostalgia and success aside, is pretty damn bad. I wish I liked it better. 

• Haha 1