Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (11/18-20) | Black Panther 67.3, The Menu 9, The Chosen 8.2, Black Adam 4.5, Ticket 3.2

8 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Apparently The Chosen could sneak up and beat The Menu. That's unexpected because I never even saw the film listed on any schedules until like a few days ago. 

It's probably about 95% likely at this point b/c it's about double true Friday for the Menu...that was not unexpected based on its 2nd season performance last November and on its presales.  Its fans like to see the season premiere on the big screen, which is helpful for theater owners.

It's why I Heard the Bells could also surprise in 2 weeks - same Fathom type event with an even wider possible audience pull - and an actual movie...I suspect all of tonight's Chosen viewers are getting this movie's preview.  Wholesome, heartwarming, and Christmas themed without being Christ themed - could be a nice offset to Violent Night on the same weekend...

PS - For those who haven't seen the trailer, it's the story of how Henry Wadsworth Longfellow came to write the carol...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Saw She Said... if it makes even just 2m, they should consider themselves lucky

Also saw Bones and All. Taylor Russell is beautiful and Luca knows how to do a needledrop, that's all I will say

rock-one-eyebrow-raised-rock-staring.gif

10 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah wait wtf happened with the Thursday week to week drops? Was it bc of Veteran's day last Friday causing more people to go to theaters than normal on last Thursday night?

Yep. Veteran's Day is an off day for many, so people have freedom to see a movie on Thursday night easier.

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's probably about 95% likely at this point b/c it's about double true Friday for the Menu...that was not unexpected based on its 2nd season performance last November and on its presales.  Its fans like to see the season premiere on the big screen, which is helpful for theater owners.

It's why I Heard the Bells could also surprise in 2 weeks - same Fathom type event with an even wider possible audience pull - and an actual movie...I suspect all of tonight's Chosen viewers are getting this movie's preview.  Wholesome, heartwarming, and Christmas themed without being Christ themed - could be a nice offset to Violent Night on the same weekend...

PS - For those who haven't seen the trailer, it's the story of how Henry Wadsworth Longfellow came to write the carol...

Yeesh. I hope not. I don't 100% mind seeing the Menu lose out. But Violent Night? Idk. I'd be disappointed. 

Well it's not like much of anything is coming out December 9th though. 

Hey Box Office Theory!

It’s been a loooong loooong time but I just wanted to pop in and say hi again after a long hiatus. This community has been so much fun and I’ve really enjoyed getting to meet and know all of you guys. I know I was very young and silly and immature when I first came to this website, and I truly apologize for the silly and annoying things I did back then and how I’ve derailed threads sometimes. I’ve really grown since I was 14 and yiiikes I’m embarrassed looking back ahaha. But I just wanted to say thank you for helping me grow in my passion for film and just being such awesome community members to engage with on the forums. I have learned so much from you guys and this is one of the best little corners on the internet. I want to thank the mods for sustaining this incredible website. I also wanted to say that I hope you guys are taking great care of yourselves, and practicing self-love and compassion. These past few years have been very enlightening, sometimes challenging, and a lot of fun. I’ve really grown a lot, personally and professionally, and my passion for film has only grown. ALSO, the pandemic was crazy. No way home was awesome. I still love BvS. And no more unions (at least for now, just joking mods btw).

I missed you guys 😊

And sorry for the double post in the other thread, I meant to post it in this thread, not the other one!

• Like 13

56 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

rock-one-eyebrow-raised-rock-staring.gif

It's good! It's just... 

A tough movie to discuss because there's so much to say! I could say it's a singular and loopy mix of YA + horror atmosphere. I could say very few filmmakers have such a supernatural conjuring of sensuality as Luca. I could say Mark Rylance sounds like the old man from Family Guy in it. So I will refrain from saying anything to not sound dumb!

I actually feel like it could do... ok when it expands. It ends on a jolt. Maybe similar to a mid-tier A24 release and hit around 10m