Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

7 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

No. A lot of us have been saying that for a decade. It doesn’t make sense to compare Avatar with Star Wars or Marvel either. 

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You have to compare it to something, it's not an entirely vacuum less franchise either lol 

Well, this might be the other main reason for a 60 page thread by Friday night.

THIS IS A NEW(-ish) FRANCHISE WITHOUT MUCH RECENT PRECEDENT.

It's really hard to find something to compare this to that is actually fairly on point.  A great deal of the discussion here is Shiny New Toy syndrome.  It's drawing interest from folks who haven't been commenting in many WE threads lately precisely because it has more than a few unknowns.  As we get more data, things get clearer, sure.  But there's still potential for surprise (even if the potential isn't great) and it's that potential... the unknown... which is driving a fair amount of discussion, I think.

Like, if this was an MCU, DCU, or SW film (or even many of the other recent franchises), we'd be falling back on re-re-re-re-re-rehashed arguments.  I for one almost certainly wouldn't be commenting as much, for instance, as we've beaten many of the discussions to death.  

But even with a probable 135-ish OW and less than stratospheric OS numbers, there's still a lot of room for unknowns here. Like, take legs.  Gonna be a big difference between 3.25x and 4.5x off a 135 OW.  Which is more likely?  Hell, to take extremes, is 3x or 5x more likely?  Don't know.  But it'll be fun to find out. :)

• Like 5

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

waiting for this scene in the james cameron press tour arc.

qkrHP0r.png

Ridley Scott could call me a no good stupid millennial to my face and I wouldn't care.  I just hope the Martian/Duel Scott and not the Exodus/Gucci Scott shows up for Napoleon and then he can retire.