Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

SAG-AFTRA & Studios Achieve AI Breakthrough; More Negotiations Set For Later Tuesday

The lead negotiators for SAG-AFTRA and the studios are set to meet later today in what could be the final phase to sealing a new deal and the end to the 117-day actors guild strike

With the AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA having achieved a breakthrough late lasty night on the contentious topic of AI, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland and AMPTP president Carol Lombardini are scheduled to talk this afternoon. “We are very close,” a guild source told Deadline. “Not done yet, but very close with strong protection language in place,” the source added of AI guardrails long sought by the guild even before they went on strike in mid-July.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/actors-strike-deal-close-ai-1235595961/

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Maggie said:

SAG-AFTRA & Studios Achieve AI Breakthrough; More Negotiations Set For Later Tuesday

https://deadline.com/2023/11/actors-strike-deal-close-ai-1235595961/

31 minutes ago, MovieMagic said:

Deadline is quoting GUILD sources confirming the agreement on AI. Is this finally it??!

51cxg2qmOhL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

(possibly)

((okay, the folks who have been out of work for so long are possssssibly more deserving here))

(((but, really, though, don't screw this up AMPTP!!!)))

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

This is Good, Actually™.

From earlier this year when the WGA talks were in a critical stage:

On 9/20/2023 at 1:44 PM, Porthos said:

Anyway, it is my opinion that the absolute best thing we can hope for today is... to hear absolutely nothing as that means the folks in the room and the folks outside of it connected to the talks are more busy talking to each other instead of trying to negotiate in the press via strategic leaking.

The second best thing we can hear is the infamous "progress is being made, but hurdles remain" soft rumormongering as that could mean progress is being made but it also could be an attempt to get one side or the other to shit or get off the pot which could easily backfire in a tense moment like this.

The third best thing we can hear is that "talks are encouraging and constructive".... and nothing else, pretty much for the exact same reasons given in the first point.

The worst thing we can hear is... Well pretty much what went down at the August meeting.

Consider the above a spectrum from best to worst.

Seem to be somewhere between Line One and Line Two.  IMO, the less we hear, the better.  I'll make a minor exception for hearing what they're talking about, but that's about it.  

Honestly, the less folks try to negotiate through the press, the better at this stage.  Don't even think I want to hear too much shittalking from SAG at this point, as I think they reset/retook control of the narrative more than enough with the AI talk the last couple of days (seriously, what was the AMPTP thinking there?  Talk about shooting themselves in the foot at a critical stage).

So, consider me... cautiously optimistic since there is a distinct lack of running to the press to try to score points right now.

*knocks on wood*

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

This is Good, Actually™.

From earlier this year when the WGA talks were in a critical stage:

Seem to be somewhere between Line One and Line Two.  IMO, the less we hear, the better.  I'll make a minor exception for hearing what they're talking about, but that's about it.  

Honestly, the less folks try to negotiate through the press, the better at this stage.  Don't even think I want to hear too much shittalking from SAG at this point, as I think they reset/retook control of the narrative more than enough with the AI talk the last couple of days (seriously, what was the AMPTP thinking there?  Talk about shooting themselves in the foot at a critical stage).

So, consider me... cautiously optimistic since there is a distinct lack of running to the press to try to score points right now.

*knocks on wood*

I actually think you’re right on the money with this. There was this quote in tonight’s THR article:

“SAG-AFTRA declines to comment due to our ongoing negotiations and deep focus on negotiating in good faith to secure a fair deal for SAG-AFTRA members,” said a SAG-AFTRA spokesperson.

https://x.com/thr/status/1722156529854357656?s=46&t=wMBhEe54n401F6TKB_JL-g

Edited by MovieMagic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Definitely sounding like the AI thing was the biggest hurdle. Let's just hope the damage to the 2024 season can be mitigated a bit at least

Fingers crossed they can bring this across the finish line. Not gonna be like a Bad Ol Cat but still not gonna celebrate until a official announcement is made. Anything can still f this up.  I Don't trust the AMPTP one bit here. They can def be Lucy with the football still. 

• Like 2