Eric Prime

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I just had a great week in (North) Myrtle Beach and arrived back home.  So, is I'm reading this right, Little Mermaid is looking at an almost certain $200M+ total DOM (but probably petering out before $300M), and an okay overseas?

So, exactly where expected?

I noticed Deadline gave no audience demos for previews, so I guess we're waiting for that tomorrow...

I think the range is 300m to 400m domestic gross for TLM.

• Like 8

Just now, grey ghost said:

Myrtle Beach is awesome.

I actually got married there. A beach wedding during sunrise. :heart:

It was my 1st time.  It was a 2020 planned trip that got canceled that I finally got back to taking.  The whole family loved it (our rented condo was on the beachfront, so we heard the waves every night and could open the window and see them crashing - just that was so awesome:).  It's a totally different "feel" beach town with the really nice off beach entertainment builds and the really nice beach.  I was raised on Jersey beaches and have been on CA, VA, and FL ones, and it was just so different.  

We did prefer the relative quiet and ease of travel of north myrtle (since it's also where it was easy to get beachfront).  We stopped at the Myrtle Boardwalk, and that might have been our least liked, but still liked place...

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not sure if their numbers match up. I think it's likely that Saturday will be about the same as Thurs+Fri, maybe a bit higher. And Sunday will probably drop no more than 5%.

Thur+Fri=$38 million

Saturday=$38 million

Sunday=$36 million

3-day weekend: $112 million

Monday=$28 million

4-say weekend: $140 million

The numbers are a bit weird yeah. 

Edited by ogkalu

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

You misread the post. I didn’t say anything about singing lol. 

Lip syncing isn’t a talent. Especially in response to the suggestion that they lip sync to… someone else’s voice. 

Girl.

And, of course, I would legit argue this is his best work and he peaked here:

(Was this an excuse to just post my favorite lip syncs, maybe. 😘)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Well I just looked back and noticed that Aladdin's Saturday performed the way I described, but not TGM. So we'll see what happens.

Sat will paint a clearer picture

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not sure if their numbers match up. I think it's likely that Saturday will be about the same as Thurs+Fri, maybe a bit higher. And Sunday will probably drop no more than 5%.

Thur+Fri=$38 million

Saturday=$38 million

Sunday=$36 million

3-day weekend: $112 million

Monday=$28 million

4-say weekend: $140 million

That is improbable. You are expecting 40% saturday increase on a Memorial weekend. I would think Aladdin level increase is great. Based on how this is playing out, its not universally playing well. Big cities have limited growth potential as they are very strong on Friday. Smaller markets where the growth potential is the highest is the weak link. I am thinking 20% increase minus previews is good for this movie. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, upriser7 said:

I am not exactly sure about East Asian markets like China, Korea but atleast when it comes to Indian subcontinent, Little Mermaid was never really that well known when compared to likes of Aladdin. I don't think this movie would have done that well here even if lead role was played by a caucasian.

Agree with that, example how Beauty & The Beast performed here, which was plain bad.

The Jungle Book, Aladdin, The Lion King, that's your Disney Animated trinity in terms of popularity here.

The Jungle Book did incredible, The Lion King was Good, Aladdin was screwed up by Disney, had they given more efforts, it would've done great.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

IMDB being proactive about review bombing for the first time

"Our rating mechanism has detected unusual voting activity on this title. To preserve the reliability of our rating system, an alternate weighting calculation has been applied."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5971474/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Unweighted score is a 4.3 with nearly 50% of votes giving it a 1/10. But the weighted score is a 7.0

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

"Our rating mechanism has detected unusual voting activity on this title. To preserve the reliability of our rating system, an alternate weighting calculation has been applied."

Unweighted score is a 4.3 with nearly 50% of votes giving it a 1/10. But the weighted score is a 7.0

RINGS got the same treatment 

11 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Lowest ratings are from Brazil and Mexico, but I'm sure it's all because of those white racists! 🤬

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Just to add a bit of context, some of the review bombing of these sites come straight from alt-right websites.

They aren't randos posting negative reviews, they use pretty sophisticated stuff to hit these sites.

To counter this, folks have organized campaigns to go onto those sites to give the movies they like good reviews. I know for TLM, some majorly minority websites have told their members to watch the movie AND review the movie. 

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up seeing a miniscule drop on Saturday (the theater I'm seeing it at tomorrow is looking to be packed), stay flat on Sunday (which will basically behave as a second Saturday), and hold great on Monday to see around $135-140M since this is likely not particularly frontloaded (being both a family film and a remake). It's still very much in contention to be among the top two movies of the summer (if not the #1).

Yeah i don't really care what color the people on the screen or in the theatre are. Hispanic leads and gay black girl didnt stop me from seeing scream 6 9 tines nor (even though some brilliant youtibers thoight I should). That's the funny thing about  horror I guess....we almost expect the protagonists to be at the least a,strong  female...but I can't imagine there would be a huge outrage if we went from primarily 'final girls' to 'final boys'

Love the GOTG continuing comeback story.....hoping to see one in boston by Monday night

Edited by screambaby

Yeah, lots of people (mostly women and this is a very, very white place) in my area talking about seeing the movie this weekend.

I suspect walk-up biz will be strong.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 1