kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next weekend will be interesting to watch as Spider-Man is about the lose overwhelming majority of premium formats to Transformers for a race to #1. The latter doesn't seem to have much buzz + not sure how much demand there actually was for yet another one of those movies to begin with.

I'm still confused on what the point of that movie is. It's a "sequel" to bumblebee with none of the creative team or human characters, it's also a prequel to the bay films even though bumblebee acted as a reboot but with none of bay's flourishes and much weaker cgi than even the 2007 movie. Feels like one of those direct to video sequels to starship troopers, if it released on the big screen

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

His access to data and experience makes him very good at projecting daily numbers day of

Its the longer term projections - like $500M dom for ATSV - that I would pay much less attention to

I think that 500M is possible if it starts attracting demos that resisted it on OW for whatever reason (not into animation, checked out LM, not into SH). But we won't know til later. TGM didn't show sign of 700M at first even though it was obviously going to have legs. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I think that 500M is possible if it starts attracting demos that resisted it on OW for whatever reason (not into animation, checked out LM, not into SH). But we won't know til later. TGM didn't show sign of 700M at first even though it was obviously going to have legs. 

I agree with this a possibility and how it could/would get there, but to project it from OD is a bit … extra.  Like I’m not even ready to say $400M is better than 50/50

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next weekend will be interesting to watch as Spider-Man is about the lose overwhelming majority of premium formats to Transformers for a race to #1. The latter doesn't seem to have much buzz + not sure how much demand there actually was for yet another one of those movies to begin with.

It's actually Mermaid which loses 1/2 and Spidey which loses 1/2 - when you look at PLF charts for this weekend, the two movies about shared them equally...which theaters may have regretted, but those all sold seats and weren't transferable to Spidey...

We should get our first good sign of how legs will pan out on Monday, because even though some schools are out if it drops significantly it might not be playing to families that much

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You rank them then.

Imo, MCU Spider-man is better than SM3 and the Amazing Spider-man movies. I'm fairly certain that's also the consensus.

Ya'll forgot how bad TASM2 was before Lord Feige stepped in.

I like when movies have something in them, at least some artistic/creative value, that's why I watch them, even if they are far from perfect overall, but I appreciate that much more than consistent mediocrity.

Spider-Man 3 had great individual scenes, great ending, great visuals, great score, even if as a movie overall it may not fully come together, but I like it, never cared about Bully Maguire hate, I knew what Raimi was going for. Both TASMs had great moments (clocktower sequence is amazing), great score, some strong visuals, great Stone/Garfield chemistry, even if their romance felt incredibly unrealistic in TASM1. And another important thing is both Raimi's and Webb's films felt like Spider-Man movies, unlike MCU stuff.

Homecoming was the reason I decided to stop watching MCU, it represents literally everything MCU is criticized for and every bad habbit in modern blockbusters in general, it's an evolution of Batman & Robin approach that killed Batman and hurt comic book movies in late 90s, it has nothing in it for me no matter how hard I tried to find something redeeming in it, I just despise it, even if it's not something aggressively terrible or anything. The same with Far From Home, the same with No Way Home (plus incredibly cynical nostalgia bait, post-heavy hangover Tobey with "I don't care, I'm here just for paycheck" perfomance didn't trigger any excitement from me, only sadness)

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • ...wtf 1

Updated demo - great news that the male/female split is narrowing greatly and Blacks and Asians coming out more...from Deadline on Spideyhttps://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

"Great PostTrak audience exits prevail with 93% positive and an 82% recommend among general audiences. Still, guy leaning at 63% with 61% between 18-34 and the biggest demo turnout being 18-24 year olds at 40%. Very strong diversity demos with 34% Latino and Hispanic, 27% Caucasian, 22% Black and 17% Asian/other. Across the Spider-Verse was strong everywhere, but most prominently in the East and West. PLF screens and Imax auditoriums rep 33% of the sequel’s ticket sales to date. Biggest theater in the country?" 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I agree with this a possibility and how it could/would get there, but to project it from OD is a bit … extra.  Like I’m not even ready to say $400M is better than 50/50

Imo if this movie does not break 400m nothing else this year will, which I would consider to be a massive disappointment for the box office

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This must be the worst early number from Deadline for a big opener. Normally they are on the point. 40m just did not make sense. 

Anthony: Hey’s what’s ATSV looking like for opening day?

Industry Source: Already at $40M …

Anthony: Ok thanks! 

Source: … which would protect to over $50M by end of the day. Got that?
Hello?

Hello???

Edited by M37
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The thing about the last two Transformers movies is that I think they were forgetting one thing that made the first three really enjoyable beyond the incredible effects, the 3d, and Michael Bay's frenetic directions style.... And that is they really cast name actors who added so much enjoyment. The first three films and then even into the fourth one with Mark Wahlberg had recognizable faces and each one of them in my opinion at least turned in memorable performances. When you have actors like Tyrese gibson, Bernie Mac, John turturro, John voight, Josh Duhamel, Patrick Dempsey and then of course Megan and Shia, it's a veritable and eclectic collection of character actors who added to the overall enjoyment of the films.

I don't know one name in this new film and I haven't seen much advertising for it. I don't know why I'm supposed to be interested in seeing this film. I'm not going to go see it just for watching Transformers fight again. We've been spoiled and treated too some of the best combat sequences in infinity war and end game. So unless they find a way to top that which they won't, then what's the point of going to see it? Give me someone to root for that I know. Put somebody in the film that I recognize. I think this new Transformers film is going to crash and burn in a spectacular fashion

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even with the loss of premium screens my money is on Spiderverse.

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

For those who've seen Spider-verse 2, rank your top 5 Spider-man movies.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

NWH

ITSV

ATSV

Spider-Man 3

FFH

TASM2

Homecoming

TASM

Edited by DAJK

42 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

What's with the weird hatred for FFH?

Weird? I think it's weirder to think it's all that good.

The only thing that really stands out is maybe Tom Holland and Zendaya's chemistry, and the end credits twist. It is so bland and uninspired.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

@Shawn can correct me on this but

Numbers we see on trades for Sony and Universal films is what studio is providing.

For others, Deadline usually provide their estimates and I think they cut off few mil just in case as they won’t like to be one to set a film as underperformer.

So if a non-UNi & Sony film matches Deadline’s early numbers, that means it did the do as well as it could have. UNI projections are very close. somy is mostly LOL low.

• Like 2

I know we all knew a huge jump was coming, but it still makes me really happy that Across the Spider-Verse made more in its opening day (plus previews) than the previous film did in its entire opening weekend.

Now if only this pesky covid thing could get out of my system so that I could actually go see Across the Spider-Verse...