kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

More than it would’ve made on Hulu though. Depends how much they spent to advertise, which by the look of things wasn’t much. 

Surprised SpiderVerse didn’t get the A+ cinema score when the first film did. But it is a very “online” film. Plus there was quadruple the sample I’d imagine lol. 

Remember that December when 3 movies NWH, Sing 2 and American Underdog, all got A+ cinemascore? I wonder sometime if this is sampling error , or is it part-1 factor caused some dissatisfaction among audience. 

Just now, Killimano3 said:

BOM says opening day was 70M... Are they really adding the previews twice to EVERY movie that releases now? How has it happened this many times?

They are getting some some underpaid intern updating it. Sadly BOM is a shadow of what it was. Back in nougties with Brandon and others was something special. I dont think we will ever recreate something like that. These days most updates happen through a tweet :-)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Do we want Shia back tho?

It's funny, I think about Transformers and disturbia Shia, I wouldn't mind seeing that guy again.  But I think about current Shia and.... no thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric 2099 said:

Do we want Shia back tho?

He might be a head case in real life but he was an awesome character in Transformers and nobody could do it like he did it. So yes I am definitely all for bringing him back.

• Like 4

ATSV has gotten pretty solid jump in international markets when compared to first part but still the increase doesn't seem to be in the same range as domestic. Feel like decline of Chinese market for Hollywood movies might have a lot to do with this

31 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Little Mermaid only dropping 50 something percent against a 120+ million opener is a really good sign for its legs.

Probably be more like 55-58% but that is still good considering the monster ATSV is.

Speaking of which, could it be that people are drained from the live action CBM and are now wanting a different medium for CBM's, hence the popularity of the animated spideys? And the idea (and likelihood) of the top 2 movies of the year being animated and NEITHER of which are straight from Disney may be telling of something. Not sure what, but something.

Edited by jedijake

• Founder / Operator
3 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

@Shawn can correct me on this but

Numbers we see on trades for Sony and Universal films is what studio is providing.

For others, Deadline usually provide their estimates and I think they cut off few mil just in case as they won’t like to be one to set a film as underperformer.

So if a non-UNi & Sony film matches Deadline’s early numbers, that means it did the do as well as it could have. UNI projections are very close. somy is mostly LOL low.

If I'm understanding what you mean (sorry, kinda jumping in without reading back), it does depend sometimes but you are right about Sony and Uni regularly giving theirs. Disney and WB gives their projections most of the time as well. Paramount is a bit more sporadic but usually willing to give a number on mid- to high-profile movies if asked.

Honestly most of the majors do provide, it's just a matter of who volunteers it versus who only gives after being directly asked. And if that person isn't around that day or before an outlet's deadline, then maybe a writer gets a rival estimate, or asks an outside forecaster, or just goes with what they've been hearing in past weeks.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I'd rather bring back Steinfeld and Cena, especially Cena.

Bumblebee, imo, was so bland. Especially Steinfeld.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

That drop for Machine has to be because it’s also a Sony release and it’s probably getting showtimes taken from it by them.

saw it last night and it was almost full, it’s very funny.

the About my Father number must be even worse, Machine is outselling it over 2 to 1 near me.

Edited by Felandria

@Shawn in your expert opinion, what do you think the legs will be on this one? And by this one I mean spider-verse. Do you think it's going to be front loaded and not have a massive multiplier? Or do you think that because of the word of mouth being so strong the multiplier could be astronomical?

As you probably know I have not been following the box office anywhere near like I used to. But my opinion in theory is that because this one opened up about three times more than the last one did, it's inevitably going to be quite front loaded. I have no idea if that's going to happen but that's just how I see it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Bumblebee, imo, was so bland. Especially Steinfeld.

This. She is in many decent to good/great movies yet never broke out in a way that some other actresses did despite spottier career or shorter career. She's pretty and likable and super forgettable. I can't remember anything she did. I know what movies and that D+ show she appeared in but can't remember anything about her performances. Not a bad actress mind you but just evaporates from memory as soon as the movie's over.

Bumblebee was so overhyped on BOT to unreasonable levels but it was the blandest of the bland. I think that bland as opposed to fuckin terrible was considered an upgrade at the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

The best parts of Bumblebee are the Cybertron stuff. It's not exactly a greatly written movie, as you could cut out the entire 2nd act and not affect a single thing about anything, and the finale is underwhelming. And there is a useless, boring love interest. It definitely wasn't the kind of movie to get everyone excited about live action Transformers again. It was OK at best.

1 hour ago, Killimano3 said:

BOM says opening day was 70M... Are they really adding the previews twice to EVERY movie that releases now? How has it happened this many times?

They’ve been trash ever since the IMDB merge, gave up on expecting old quality levels years ago. 

• Like 1

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but anyone thinking any studio would touch some kind of OG Transformers crew reunion or that it wouldn’t ignite public backlash needs to enter the year 2023. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1