The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Zaslav watching Barbie beat Oppenheimer at the box office probably leaves him feeling vindicated. 

I know it's fun to blame Zaslav for everything but it was actually the previous regime that pissed off Nolan

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

That's why Universal went apeshit with it on MSNBC.

Poor Nolan on the promotional tour had to all the heavy lifting because of SAG. 

15 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Barbie is doing excellently in US but LATAM is the area where it has gone truly bonkers...Highest ever OD admits in Colombia, Peru, Chile, all time top2 OD in Brazil, amazing openings in Mexico, Argentina

Yep, people are going insane over here with Barbie, and that’s why I needed to check BOT after so many years, because I hadn’t seen that happening  in so long  and I was so surprised by how big an event Barbie became over here that I needed to see if it was a worldwide phenomenon too.

Waiting to go in to Barbie now, last time me and the fiancé will be at a theater for a good while probably. Absolutely heaving in this two screen, Barbie sold out and looks like Mission Impossible is too. Leicester Square as a whole is absolutely slammed at each of the theaters. 

1 hour ago, 21C said:

I mean yeah but my argument is that now they'll have to do it even more. That coupled with CBMs only doing great numbers if they are great makes me think that hiring great filmmakers will/should become a bigger priority for Marvel and DC alike. 

As for the IP question... idk, Mickey Mouse? 

What are you gonna do with Mickey Mouse?  I could see a big blowout type of movie like a Fantasia type deal,  a big animated feature.  Obviously you can't do live action with the character lol 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Space Ghost! 

In all seriousness though, The Legend of Zelda, which Illumination is supposedly working on. 

Yeah, I don't remember if they confirmed it or not but it was definitely heavily rumored.  That could be live action or animated but sounds like they are going animated. 

Oppenheimer was the most crowded screening I've been to this year so far. Aside from my sold out Avatar 2 IMAX showing the most crowded showing i've been to since pre-COVID. Sure a big change from seeing Tenet in the same cinema with literally nobody else there three years ago.

15 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

$50M True Friday ?

Away til now, but happy to see 2 premier concepts doing so well so far this weekend...studios, try fresh concepts vs sequel or spin off #10!

PS - And as I predicted, my contest low entry means movies go high:).  I'm glad my entries stay so consistent:)...(made sure I went really low after I didn't go low on Spidey b/c who wants a weekend when things underperform...and then it did...a little:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What are you gonna do with Mickey Mouse?  I could see a big blowout type of movie like a Fantasia type deal,  a big animated feature.  Obviously you can't do live action with the character lol 

The problem with Mickey is the same issue that plagues the Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry etc in that he works brilliantly in short form but would be a real struggle long form. 

I think WB and Mattel's next move should be Masters of the Universe and get someone like Gareth Edwards to direct it. 

15 minutes ago, 21C said:

It'll be kinda interesting to see which sort of lessons studios learn from Barbie's success.

On the other hand, "attach great filmmakers to recognizable IPs" seems like the biggest no-brainer but like... what exactly does that translate to? What can you do to try to chase after that success.

Joseph Kosinki's Hot Wheels? Jordan Peele Barney? Luca Guadanigno's Winnie the Pooh?

I'm trying to brainstorm what'd be the result from this because in truth Barbie is such a specific IP in terms of the mass global and inter-generational appeal it has which accounts for about 90% of the film's success if the success of Super Mario is also anything to go about. 

I guess attaching great filmmakers to the franchises that they've already got going on like CBMs could be one of them too. Maybe a signal that those studios should be aiming higher with those franchises. 

imo i think the success of Barbie/Gerwig also boils down to a very specific thematic overlap that is not easily replicated — Gerwig’s consistent reflections on womanhood are a perfect match for Barbie as a concept, but i don’t know how easily you can do that with like, gi joe  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

At&t pissed him off, not Zaslav

That's correct starting out, but Zaslav and his team pushed forward with the Barbie strategy for his weekend. The WB executives claim in the media that they really want Nolan back as a Warner director. They paid him a big royalty check for Tenet recently. They could have released Barbie on any weekend and it would have been very profitable for them, but they took direct aim at Nolan this weekend and they stuck to this strategy instead of changing it...despite supposedly wanting to mend fences with him.

I'm not sure he will forget the choices that the WB people have made in recent years. Universal is supporting him in a major way right now, and I would suspect the Universal people are extremely proud of this movie. They will fight like hell to keep him in the future.