Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

the reviews for The fall guy in my country are even better than in the US. Let's see if the audience will really like it and at least can have a surprising WOM with the summer season coming. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/23/2024 at 7:35 AM, JonathanMB said:

I'm out in the western suburbs of Chicago and do unofficial checks in my area to get a vibe on how a movie is selling, and it's pretty low so far at the AMCs near me, but in Chicago itself it's selling stupid-well, with several Thursday and even Friday evening shows already 50%+ full. So it seems like there will be a bit of a divide in those markets for this. Hopefully good WOM spreads and helps give the suburbs a bump at some point?

Checked the same theaters again, sales picked up a little bit at each of them for Thursday, but then I decided to check Friday night's showtimes and each theater has already sold 50%+ more tickets for Friday than Thursday; which is rare around here. So hopefully that means a somewhat backloaded preview-to-Friday ratio?

• Like 2

Santikos Tracking

Unsung Hero (EA) - 632/1,378

- Downton (EA) - 3.63x (3.27m)

- Top Gun (EA) - .46x (2.12m)

- M:I 7 (EA) - .507x (1.22m)

Unsung Hero (Previews) - 52/2,074

- Downton - .264x (277k)

- Crawdads - .139x (278k)

- Easter Sunday - .945x (473k)

Challengers (Previews) - 79/5,541

- Massive Talent - 1.795x (1.5m)

- Ticket to Paradise - .454x (500k)

Don't really have any good comps here

Boy Kills World (Previews) - 6/1,488

- Ambulance - .6x (420k)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

the reviews for The fall guy in my country are even better in the US. Let's see if the audience will really like it and at least can have a surprising WOM with the summer season coming. 

Honestly if it does not I do not want to hear people saying they don't make good mainstream Hollywood movies anymore it's all CG fests that we are not interested in. You are full of shit people if a movie like this does not do well and you sit on your ass at home and wait for a CG fest you claim you are sick of.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Honestly if it does not I do not want to hear people saying they don't make good mainstream Hollywood movies anymore it's all CG fests that we are not interested in. You are full of shit people if a movie like this does not do well and you sit on your ass at home and wait for a CG fest you claim you are sick of.

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

• Haha 8

Please forget everything I said about Unsung Hero having weak presales in my theaters.

Yesterday I was stupid enough to look for EA shows but couldn't find them because I counted the Thursday first and then forgot to change the name on Wednesday, to add 'Early Access' 😉.

Its sales for today are very good - around 500 sold tickets (without the AMC in NY where it has no shows).

Even status "Almost Full" in the AMC Lincoln Square in NY and my normal AMCs in San Francisco and LA. 

Details later, hopefully with some comps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Dude, you need to chill. :lol: The world will not end if The Fall Guy isn't a smash hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dude, you need to chill. :lol: The world will not end if The Fall Guy isn't a smash hit.

I know. =)It's just frustrating. If this were getting like eh it's fine whatever reviews so be it, I would not care one bit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Maybe Fall Guy is good (I hope so anyway) but the trailer looks abhorrent and not like the savior of mainstream Hollywood. Maybe that's why pre-sales are soft? 

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

Maybe Fall Guy is good (I hope so anyway) but the trailer looks abhorrent and not like the savior of mainstream Hollywood. Maybe that's why pre-sales are soft? 

even if true has this ever been a problem?

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

even if true has this ever been a problem?

While not agreeing on the trailer looking abhorrent they are right esp in these post COVID times if the trailer is not clicking for people for whatever reason that would explain the Presales. That's why WOM will be important to this movie. People trust other regular people more than critics  a lot of the times. 

39 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

While not agreeing on the trailer looking abhorrent they are right esp in these post COVID times if the trailer is not clicking for people for whatever reason that would explain the Presales. That's why WOM will be important to this movie. People trust other regular people more than critics  a lot of the times. 

of course when a trailer doesn't click with people this explains low sales. That's why trailers exist. My point was bad trailers in general clicks a lot with the GP taste 😂

I feel like there’s no real point in stressing over pre-sales for The Fall Guy anymore. If it was going to click with people it would’ve by now. I doubt Apes or Furiosa are going to be big enough to fully eclipse The Fall Guy, so it’s better to just cross your fingers and hope for strong legs.

If it still doesn’t click people after it opens then…I don’t know I guess.

• Like 3

I think it's too reductive to say that a poor trailer is leading to poor sales. We have very little to evaluate the effectiveness of a trailer other than pointing to impact on sales or subjective assessments. But sales are driven by a lot of factors.

Personally, I think the trailer is fine. But it's not an all timer or anything. I don't think you can say the trailer specifically is what's killing this without other evidence.

I think we need to look at whether this type of film just has some audience limitations. I know that Bullet Train is the benchmark that's getting used frequently, but, The Lost City strikes me as a good comparison. If the goal is a good date night film, then this feels like its got a lot of overlap. It had marquee stars and was targeting the female demo, but could barely muster above $100M.

The story isn't written on this yet, but I do find it extremely disappointing so far. I still had hope it would break out more even a week ago. But doing daily updates where it's just not selling many tickets is pointing to that trend continuing.

• Like 2

Quorum Updates

Back to Black T-23: 24.25%

The Strangers - Chapter 1 T-23: 31.68%

Maxxxine T-72: 16.13%

The Forge T-121: 15.75%

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice T-135: 50.9%

Transformers One T-149: 34.16%

Challengers T-2: 31.69% Awareness

Final Awareness: 40% chance of 10M, 7% chance of 20M

Low Awareness: 27% chance of 10M, 8% chance of 20M

Unsung Hero T-2: 17.56% Awareness

Final Awareness: 0% chance of 10M

Low Awareness: 0% chance of 10M

Furiosa T-30: 31.98% Awareness

T-30 Awareness: 81% chance of 10M, 55% chance of 20M, 35% chance of 30M, 13% chance of 40M, 10% chance of 70M, 3% chance of 90M

Tentpole Awareness: 100% chance of 30M

The Bikeriders T-58: 15.11%

T-60 Awareness: 30% chance of 10M, 2% chance of 20M

Low Awareness: 10% chance of 10M

• Like 4

Challengers, counted today for tomorrow, had 669 sold tickets. Best sales in San Francisco. 

Up nice 36% since yesterday.

Comps (all four movies counted on Wednesday for Thursday): TLC (2.5M from previews) had 520 sold tickets = 3.2M.

Death on the Nile (1.1M) had 359 = 2.05M.

Lisa Frankenstein (700k) had 209 = 2.25M.

Argylle (1.7M) had 847 = 1.35M.

(Marry Me (525k) finally had 198 sold tickets = 1.75M plus 1 day left.

And No Hard Feelings (2.15M) finally had 368 sold tickets = 3.9M plus 1 day left.)

Average (without MM and No Hard Feelings): 2.2M. With the other two comps included it would look (even) better, so I stick with 2.5M.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2