katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m so conflicted about the TMNT movie now that it has such rave reviews. I absolutely hate to see high quality animation fail right now at the box office, but also I want it to as karma for the Paramount execs having the audacity to shit all over the medium and say they won’t greenlit original animation anymore. The level of rage that statement gave me. 

I’m here to follow, give love and praise to the artists. Never fall for the mistake of looking at the studios making these films over them. No studio is good. No studio is your friend. All of them suck. As long as you come to terms with that, you will have the right train of thought to appreciate what the actual people behind these projects are doing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s funny. Long story short: Kubrick’s The Shining was my boogeyman growing up. I had nightmares with Jack Nicholson with an axe, because my parents didn’t look at whatever it was getting screened on our TVs. As an adolescent, I loved the miniseries, that was released as one big film on VHS around here. Got into Stephen King’s books because of it.

I do see King’s point on why he didn’t like Kubrick’s adaptation btw. It’s a masterpiece, but as another master himself, I sort of see it like the usual bickering between Kirby and Lee fans. I do love Mike Flanagan’s Doctor Sleep more than either and it felt like a nice closure to one of my worst nightmare scares as a kid lol.

As someone who read The Shining before watching either the miniseries or movie, I actually disliked Kubrick's film for the same reasons King does. It's great in its own right, but it completely misses the point King was making in the book. I also prefer the Doctor Sleep adaptation to the movie version of The Shining, although I prefer book Danny's ending (idk why the movie adaptations want to be so depressing). King can't seem to get really good adaptations (the latest IT was okay). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Didn't it also lead to stuff like Cleopatra being so expensive it was still a bomb despite being the highest grossing movie of the year

Yeah, a big appeal of those 1950-60s epics about the "ancient world" was to offer a spectacle you couldn't get on a black-and-white TV with a small square screen. There were unqualified successes like The Ten Commandments, The Robe, and Ben-Hur, but Cleopatra's production spiraled out of control in multiple, spectacular ways. If it happened today, I swear TMZ would have created a European bureau just to keep up.

57 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's weird because this wasn't IP, and is like the definition of a hard to market film, and it ended up being a crowdpleaser and doing blockbuster numbers. That, to me, is a more interesting story than an IP film like Barbie doing well. And it sparks more optimism for the cinematic landscape moving forward.

Wonder how much Apple is gonna throw at the marketing campaign for Killers now in order to get anywhere close to these types of numbers.

I think Oppenheimer's success is being attributed to factors that other movies can't duplicate: Nolan, plus the Barbenheimer phenomenon. I did find the Oppenheimer publicity rather lacking early on, but they deployed RDJ/Matt/Emily/Cillian and Nolan in what seemed like a thousand interviews in the last 2 weeks before it came out. Plus, Universal got a lot of mileage out of NBC News making a new Oppenheimer documentary and plugging the movie on their assorted channels.

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, I just realized as I was typing it that Disney obviously did such a stupid theatrical release date so they could have it on streaming for Halloween (barf). Once again, prioritizing D+ screws them over. Serves them right. 

The first Hocus Pocus was also released in July (and came out on VHS in January). The 2003 Haunted Mansion came out in November as a Thanksgiving release. At least the Disney+ excuse has some logic to it?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m so conflicted about the TMNT movie now that it has such rave reviews. I absolutely hate to see high quality animation fail right now at the box office, but also I want it to as karma for the Paramount execs having the audacity to shit all over the medium and say they won’t greenlit original animation anymore. The level of rage that statement gave me. 

It's kind of a nothing statement tbh, the only original animation they've done in the last decade was Paws of Fury. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

For sure. Have no idea about the box office for Snow White though. It won't get nearly as much backlash as TLM but not sure it will get as much hype either, at least not domestically.  

Why assume Saturday will jump that much especially if that Friday number sticks? At the moment, I would say 85-86M should be the expectation. Maybe even a little lower if Sat has a soft jump as well. 

Because Barbie's second weekend is more likely to perform like a typical non-debut weekend, where films see anywhere from a 20% - 50% increase on a Saturday in the late summer season. A 30% increase isn't asking all that much, especially since Fri was Barbie's first full day impacted by PLF loss, which would explain its softer increase. 

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Joker 2 and Despicable me 4 are gonna be the biggest films next year.  

All I'll say...the top 2 this year for DOM are both premier concepts (aka, non-sequel/non-prequel, non-spin off), so maybe we aren't looking deep enough into 2024 yet to find the diamond in the rough.

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

All I'll say...the top 2 this year for DOM are both premier concepts (aka, non-sequel/non-prequel, non-spin off), so maybe we aren't looking deep enough into 2024 yet to find the diamond in the rough.

I agree. It wont be Joker 2 and DM4 will definitely wont finish in Top 3 for sure. 

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree. It wont be Joker 2 and DM4 will definitely wont finish in Top 3 for sure. 

Garfield

58 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Change it enough so it can at least feel fresh is the bare minimum we can ask

That would be cool if they were even changing it enough but in the end most of the times they tease something then in the end it devolves back into the same thing.

Changes feel superficial or surface level for the most part .

Studios not wanting to tell  new stories is the reason why we have this whole conondrum and audiences have been feeding on it and you can't blame them because there are like customers or consumers who have patterns and will always go back to the same product as long as it gives them their required need.

I can understand not wanting to throw money at niche non blockbuster movies. But for some major franchises that have devoted inbuilt audiences and history but studios just decide to rince repeat when they could have started something new and use the franchise Pedigree to their advantage .

studios have gotten  so lazy and copy cat syndrome which I know has been in Hollywood for decades but in the 2010s it got so rampant and it bites them in the ass later when they want to try something new it's more difficult to sell it to the audience because they have been feeding them on nostalgia fanservice ,reboot substandard product.

Wait who iam kidding they just don't have  issues with  creating  new stories but worse they can't even write good movies for the most part on   the old rehashed and simmillar storylines with templates to follow.

deadline: 
barbie 28
oppy 14

HM 9-10

Barbie is going to need a bigger dream house as the Greta Gerwig directed comedy is now looking at a second weekend of $90M at 4,337 theaters, -44%, for a running total of $348.3M. It’s not surprising to see a higher figure, given how the Mattel doll has pulled in Marvel like grosses of $20M+ daily during the weekdays. Friday is looking like $28M, -60% from a week ago. That second weekend for Barbie isn’t that far from the $90.4M weekend two of Beauty and the Beast.

Univeral’s Oppenheimer is seeing a second Friday of $14M,-58%, and second weekend of $47M, -43%, for a ten-day total of $174.8M at 3,647 theaters.

Disney’s Haunted Mansion is seeing $9M-$10M and a 3-day of $25M at 3,740 theaters.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 2