Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

Really heavy handed at points especially parts of the second half but overall  barbie is one of the best movies of the year . Female empowerment storyline  in here is pretty good and relatable for the most part  and  surprisingly  even throws some Major shade at certain unrealistic  aspects around modern day feminism .

Margot Robbie and Ryan gosling knock it out the park.

Humour pretty much worked for me.

9/10 .

Ken movie when. Need that ASAP.

This movie doesn't need a sequel 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Post-Trak also have Oppenheimer at 93% vs Barbie 89% positive. The only area that Barbie won over Oppie is a segment of audience (female<25) gave an A+ cinemascore to Barbie.

Yeh see, it’s 4% difference. I just don’t think there’s enough to suggest that Barbie’s WOM isn’t as good when it’s having the same or better holds with at least double the audience. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh see, it’s 4% difference. I just don’t think there’s enough to suggest that Barbie’s WOM isn’t as good when it’s having the same or better holds with at least double the audience. 

Barbie has a potential most broadest audience. I don't see anything strange, WOM doesn't work at the same way for every movie. 

If a Spike Jonze movie has an incredible WOM anyways it's never gonna have same legs of Avatar. Avatar has an infinite potential in terms of every kinf of target (sex, age, school degree). Like avatar Barbie is a big commercial movie but also perceveid as an authorial work, so it's interesting for the audience of blackbusters and also more "cultured" moviegoers. It's good for young people but also mature people etc...

Opp maybe at some point no matters how WOM is good, there is an audience doesn't care to watch it, at least not at the theater. 

Anyways its legs are incredible too. 

Edited by vale9001

7 hours ago, TMP said:

It would lose IMAX again though. October 13 makes sense since it'd get at least a week, and it also gives Disney 2 weeks for The Creator 

edit: with Kraven gone, Flower Moon going wide on Oct 6 would work really well for The Marvels favor - gives it 2 weeks of IMAX too

Exorcist gets IMAX on the 13.

I'm late to this discussion, but Shrek became a pop culture phenomenon by mocking Disney. 

So Shrek 5 should be a scathing satire of Disney's obsession with remakes. There's a very meta story they could tell there. 

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Delaying Dune would cost them a terrific exclusive IMAX window, would hurt the chances for legs generated by Oscar buzz, and would balloon the budget more as delays always do. It is also a known property that doesn't need the cast out there promoting as much as other movies. I just really don't think it is moving. One or both of Color Purple and Wonka will move. Aquaman seems like it is staying. Hunger Games and the two musicals are the big remaining questions to me. I could also see Napoleon moving, not that Joaquin is Mr. Charm on the press tour, more because apparently the movie wasn't done in time for the fall festivals and is still testing.

I 100% agree with you.

And for those who say "well, they marketed X already" - I've seen trailers for every WB movie coming out in 2023 this summer.  They attached them ALL to different movies.  So, that won't matter in the move decision.

I'm sure Shrek still has alot of relevance amongst zoomers even if a decent chunk of it is meme form. Then again isn't that part of the success of Minions 2 and Barbenheimer? 

11 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

So Shrek 5 should be a scathing satire of Disney's obsession with remakes. There's a very meta story they could tell there. 

It would be a tight rope to walk but getting the creative team behind Puss in Boots 2 would give huge confidence.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DTP said:

Saw Talk to Me.  Thought it was much better than Insidious:  The Red Door.  8/10.

That wouldn't take much LOL

Finally watched Oppenheimer. It was really good, probably second favourite Nolan after Dunkirk. I was not a fan of first hour or so though and wow does he still have a problem writing female characters. Glad I didn't watch it on the same day as Barbie cause both movies I think need time to ponder their very different issues they address after watching. I am very happy both movies are doing so well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Delaying Dune would cost them a terrific exclusive IMAX window, would hurt the chances for legs generated by Oscar buzz, and would balloon the budget more as delays always do. It is also a known property that doesn't need the cast out there promoting as much as other movies. I just really don't think it is moving. One or both of Color Purple and Wonka will move. Aquaman seems like it is staying. Hunger Games and the two musicals are the big remaining questions to me. I could also see Napoleon moving, not that Joaquin is Mr. Charm on the press tour, more because apparently the movie wasn't done in time for the fall festivals and is still testing.

I agree on Dune and Aquaman. I think wonka and color purple stay put too with color purple starting limited and going wide mid January