cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

1 minute ago, dallas said:

Yeah I don't know what he is on about. I don't think any of those movies were right wing propaganda at all. 

I guess he thinks Sound of Freedom is the only hit movie of the year or something and even that was more the discourse around the movie not the movie itself.

• Like 1

A- is exactly what I expected for Wonka, it’s very hard for these types of family films to get better on CS. TGS for example was far more adult aimed while Jumanji wasn’t, and as expected this mirror’s the latter’s score. OW is definitely a bit higher than I expected from 30-35 like tracking was more indicative. Definitely a good early sign.

Decent Fri actual for Heron, a little on the weak side for Zilla from my expectations. The important thing is they’re very clearly positioned now with BOSS as the only holdovers for theaters to care about during the holidays (counting Wonka as part of the Xmas onslaught). 

+20% higher Fri jump than Suzume for Heron. Seems to be playing closer to Ponyo and Arrietty vs any other wide opening anime, since all the others have collapsed after OW. -55% 2nd weekend would be great for anime with EA inflation too. Would be really great if holidays can get it to at least 3rd all time DOM anime (44m), That would be such a massive win and help awareness with the Academy too. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I guess he thinks Sound of Freedom is the only hit movie of the year or something and even that was more the discourse around the movie not the movie itself.

You gotta improve your reading comprehension. That's not what he implied at all. How did you even get to that conclusion??? He just said any film that's not right wing propaganda being a success is a good thing meaning films like Oppenheimer and Barbie being successes is good but Sound of Freedom being a success is not.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

You gotta improve your reading comprehension. That's not what he implied at all. How did you even get to that conclusion??? He just said any film that's not right wing propaganda being a success is a good thing meaning films like Oppenheimer and Barbie being successes is good but Sound of Freedom being a success is not.

This happens a lot here for some reason. I remember a few weeks ago a user posted, "oh man, even if The Marvels gets Elemental-style legs, it's still gonna flop big time" and a whole bunch of dudes came out saying "WAIT SOMEBODY THINKS THE MARVELS WILL GET ELEMENTAL LEGS MARVEL FANS ARE SO STOOPID".

Like...no. How about you read what the guy says instead of getting easy likes? It's so annoying.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think some people thankfully forgot Sound of Freedom existed.

54 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A- is exactly what I expected for Wonka, it’s very hard for these types of family films to get better on CS. TGS for example was far more adult aimed while Jumanji wasn’t, and as expected this mirror’s the latter’s score. OW is definitely a bit higher than I expected from 30-35 like tracking was more indicative. Definitely a good early sign.

Decent Fri actual for Heron, a little on the weak side for Zilla from my expectations. The important thing is they’re very clearly positioned now with BOSS as the only holdovers for theaters to care about during the holidays (counting Wonka as part of the Xmas onslaught). 

+20% higher Fri jump than Suzume for Heron. Seems to be playing closer to Ponyo and Arrietty vs any other wide opening anime, since all the others have collapsed after OW. -55% 2nd weekend would be great for anime with EA inflation too. Would be really great if holidays can get it to at least 3rd all time DOM anime (44m), That would be such a massive win and help awareness with the Academy too. 

looking at the Deadline article, the main demo that didn't like it too much was older men, so that could help out Aquaman, since you would assume that would be it's main demo.

8 minutes ago, Flip said:

looking at the Deadline article, the main demo that didn't like it too much was older men, so that could help out Aquaman, since you would assume that would be it's main demo.

Older male is always the demo these movies struggle with, so yeah it’s unsurprising. Fortunately, they usually get dragged during the holidays to these if others want to see them anyways haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

The way he phrased it though made it seem like there were too many right wing propaganda successes this year, when the only movie that really fits that mold is Sound of Freedom. 

Lil Mabu and the Chocolate Factory was really cute. On paper, think softening Willy Wonka - the known sardonic prick takes a lot of bite out of the movie and I think that's a lot why my family barring me ranged from mixed to despised and I do think the sweetness of the movie is in some ways a weakness. Make no mistake, I knew going in this would be more akin to the Paddington movies. Think 200m should happen but not sure on 250m - think the hidden musical aspect is a big reason why the A- and a big reason why my family barring me mixed/disliked it.

I highly enjoyed it though! The movie’s optimistic outlook though a bit too sweet manages to won me over, and it also helps that its quite funny and the musical numbers (one though is kind of suspect, reminding me of a similar one in Wish) are well done with the third act almost getting me in tears. Chalamet does well as Cinnamon Roll Wonka (though I think Holland might have a similar effect, think Chalamet highlights his sweetness), and Peterson Joseph is excellent and Key was by far the funniest but found myself thoroughly enjoying newcomer Lane as Noodle, who's wit and preservance is very admirable. If you can accept Wonka’s new and different recipe, Wonka’s sweet tale will delight you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So sounds like Wonka has now been a sadistic asshole, a weirdo man-child (aka Johnny Depp irl), and the nicest boy next door you’ll ever meet in his film incarnations. Clearly no one has a solid grasp on who this character is supposed to be lol. 

He’s just a bad boss at the end of the day, so I guess this’d be the closest to the book:

m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BN2YyMmFiOTUtZjFhZC...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

. Was not aware that Barbie, Super Mario Bro's, Oppenheimer, Guardians 3 ASTV ect  were Right Wing Propaganda movies. But okay.

I wasn’t calling them right wing propaganda movies?? 

i was being snarky that the only hit this year I am not happy about is SOF. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So sounds like Wonka has now been a sadistic asshole, a weirdo man-child (aka Johnny Depp irl), and the nicest boy next door you’ll ever meet in his film incarnations. Clearly no one has a solid grasp on who this character is supposed to be lol. 

The character really isn’t that interesting. Charlie is the protagonist for a reason. 

1 minute ago, Unfitclock said:

I don’t know why but Wonka is selling really bad near me I live in Florida I saw someone on here that said the same thing about it not selling well over here

It's selling well enough for me. Though interestingly enough, I have Aquaman 2 outselling it. 

53 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How does Epic Movie fit into the equation?

On 12/15/2023 at 12:07 PM, Bumblebee said:

Hiding the music for the trailers and marketing seems silly to me. If you don't want to show a musical for fear of it bombing, don't make a musical! 

I know the Gene Wilder movie is famous for its very earwormy songs but there are plenty of stories e.g. Oliver Twist which have been both musicals and plain films/TV. They're not being forced.

It's a very, very stupid trend. Which is weird since Barbie had lots of songs and one of the biggest hits of the year is a LITERAL FUCKING CONCERT 

• Like 2

@charlie Jatinder

Before the pandemic, Indian films, with the exception of Bahubali Part 2, typically earned around 8 million in the US. However, in the post-pandemic era, it seems that all major Indian films are now grossing upwards of 15 million with a ceiling of around 20 million (Pathaan, Jawan, Animal, Leo and now Dunki looks to be going above 15 million, even a drivel like Rocky aur Rani earned 10 million). What could account for this change? It's not as if the number of Indian migrants has suddenly increased; in fact, migration has decreased due to the heightened difficulty in obtaining US visas. One plausible explanation could be that Indian migrants, who are predominantly employed in the software and big tech sectors, have the highest income among various immigrant groups in the US. The increased disposable income of this demographic may be contributing to the success of Indian films at the US box office. Nevertheless, it's important to note that individuals from India were already working in high-paying jobs before the pandemic. So, what has transpired during the pandemic to prompt these same individuals to spend more money on watching Indian films?
Edited by aarav