Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

While yes, i agree with that, a major problem for theater owners is that building these PLF auditoriums is extremely expensive and only really logical from a financial viewpoint if they get adequate movies like Dune 2, Oppenheimer etc on a more consistent basis - and with they way Hollywood looks right now, thats not really the reality atm.

But overall, i agree. PLF is the future of cinema because these special formats elevate the theatralic experience in a way that is still truly special and basically impossible to recreate at home.

Honey, 36% of Morbius' OW was PLFs. People will see anything just for that big screen and loud sound.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Will be interested to see where this ends up WW. Does it have the juice to get to $600m? I hope so. Guess we’ll find out. 

700M ish

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Honey, 36% of Morbius' OW was PLFs. People will see anything just for that big screen and loud sound.

They should build more and upgrade more, I agree. But it doesn’t mean people will always go. The film will always be the deciding factor. I’ve sat in many an empty IMAX showings. 

‘DUNE 2’ opens with $178.5M worldwide.

this is ~50% more than the worldwide opening of the first film.

The first movie release got 405M*, so this sequel can possibly make now around 650M ww.

*not counting 2024 rerelease in the Uk and other international markets of course.

Edited by leoh

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Rebecca Ferguson having the last laugh over whichever former co-star allegedly screamed at her (not Cruise and not Jackman according to her).

Is she the new Carly Simon? .  It's Warren Beatty.  Nobody around here will get that reference I know. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Is she the new Carly Simon? .  It's Warren Beatty.  Nobody around here will get that reference I know. 

You're so vain

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

This is now Yorgos Lanthimos’ highest grossing film right? Absolutely cool to see it triple its budget.

Yes, surpassed The Favourite that grossed 95M. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leoh said:

‘DUNE 2’ opens with $178.5M worldwide.

this is ~50% more than the worldwide opening of the first film.

The first movie release 405M*, so can possibly make now around 650 ww

*not counting 2024 rerelease in the Uk and other international markets of course.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Though it seems like a good target. 

The big factors we just can’t measure yet are how China will perform and what effect the pretty insane WOM will have.