ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Because audience nowadays is too lazy to try out new stuff on big screen, even they heard they are good.

Since audience is this lazy, studio become lazy too with that completely effortless production like DM4. Many claim Minion 2 success was due to its gentleminion tiktok trend but DM4 actually made about the same money as Minion 2 despite having almost zero tiktok trend.

To be fair, the Despicable Me series isn't really known for having much effort put into it in the first place lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why are people rooting against Captain America 4?

They're acting like Chris Evans was fired or something.

Because Anthony Mackie's version will always and forever be synonymous with that atrocious final speech at the end of his Disney+ series. Everyone and their mother tore that to pieces, and it's still recent enough to taint Mackie in the eyes of many for the rest of his tenure in the franchise. I don't blame him at all for the choices the writers made there, but that is nonetheless his legacy as Captain America.

Also, without getting into details, the movie's plot was recently leaked in full, and it does not inspire confidence in the slightest. Unless a miracle happens in post production and they somehow manage to salvage a good movie out, it's doomed.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

To be fair, the Despicable Me series isn't really known for having much effort put into it in the first place lol

People with small kids need to take them to something that keeps their ADHD minds occupied for almost 90 minutes. Illumination is their savior. Judging adult GA intelligence for Despicable Me success is just finding reasons to get a superiority complex.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

I think that if you've been paying attention to Quorum data, you have noticed something there and worthy data between Awareness, Interest and the Unaided Awareness. It's pretty clear that if this movie was good like the 1st, a natural sequel instead of this creative shock and completely unlike the 1st mess, this would have made big numbers. Every metric was there.

I think The Quorum is just garbage because this is far from the first time a film that ranked highly did poorly, and plenty of films that had ok or even rankings (biggest example being Barbie) do significantly better than what The Quorum predicts.

I don’t really buy that reviews sunk this movie. I think there was just a lot less excitement for a Joker sequel than people thought or that the internet made it seem. Then reviews pushed some people away and reactions from the audience made the film toxic.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

People with small kids need to take them to something that keeps their ADHD minds occupied for almost 90 minutes. Illumination is their savior. Judging adult GA intelligence for Despicable Me success is just finding reasons to get a superiority complex.

Honestly, once The Wild Robot became a Letterboxd fave I knew it wasn’t gonna do big numbers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That story progression actually makes sense. 

Yeah, I feel like Arthur escaping Arkham with the help of his stans and leading a cult is something audiences would have a much better response to. There are hints of this in the final movie, but it doesn't actually go there.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric Quinn said:

Okay but like…none of those movies would be seen as overintellectual or risqué back then? They aren’t hard to follow, they don’t say anything that daring, even by the standards of the 2000s. I dunno. Maybe most of those movies were hits because they are based on nostalgic brands. 🤷

If Barbie came out in 2002, it would've starred Cameron Diaz and would've been directed by McG and a actual purely nostalgic cash grab. The Barbie movie we got is very intellectual and actually has something to say.

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Because Anthony Mackie's version will always and forever be synonymous with that atrocious final speech at the end of his Disney+ series. Everyone and their mother tore that to pieces, and it's still recent enough to taint Mackie in the eyes of many for the rest of his tenure in the franchise. I don't blame him at all for the choices the writers made there, but that is nonetheless his legacy as Captain America.

Also, without getting into details, the movie's plot was recently leaked in full, and it does not inspire confidence in the slightest. Unless a miracle happens in post production and they somehow manage to salvage a good movie out, it's doomed.

Lol I know unrelated to the box office but I remember just how big those first few Marvel shows were, each new episode felt like a mini event for someone like me.

Even had a friend come over for the weekend just to watch the finale. We’d been liking the show up until that point… 

I genuinely believe that that finale speech was where the MCU shows ran out of steam with the zeitgeist.