ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I've never been more excited to see that Cinemascore for a movie.

Also Charlie's Fri night update is going to be good.

If it gets an F, my Wild Robot club is still on the table

Let's do it boys

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Complete and utter disbelief leaving the theater. Auditorium was like 10% filled which is rare for a blockbuster on Friday evenings. Few people walked out, mostly young teens. 

I will say this was not the worst film i've ever seen, not even the worst CBM of all time (Black Widow still holds that imo). It's just shockingly bland and boring. 

We could have been talking about a $120M OW $800M WW finish if this was a normal Joker sequel and not some faux pretentious arthouse project. 

Black Widow is mid and generic sure but worst CBM of all time?!?!?

9 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I think studios dont get it 

People dont want to watch iconic characters become deconstructed

lol

If there's one good thing "Superfans consultency firm" can do is stop Studios from ruining iconic characters.

Just now, Starphanluke said:

I know Joker is obviously the big convo this weekend, but I’m a little behind (been busy moving across the country) and I’m curious: is Transformers stabilizing at all, or continuing to fall fast?

It seems like a high 50s/low 60s (if it's lucky) finish.

14 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Mount Rushmore of movie villains for me. 

Ronald Emmerich

Collin Treverrow 

Michael Waldron

Raj Kumar Hirani 

Idk, Dinesh D’Souza has also probably earned a spot if you ask me.

So what's the prevailing theory here with Joker's failure? 

The first movie had a 3+ multiplier, indicating word of mouth was pretty good. So I don't buy the notion that this is a response to the first movie. Also, not a reflection of THIS movie's word of mouth cause that doesn't kick in until weekend two, or the first Saturday at the earliest in really extreme cases. Friday is too low to indicate fan-demand-esque frontloading. Audiences aren't typically swayed by bad reviews. So what's going on here? 

Edited by Driver

2 minutes ago, Driver said:

The first movie had a 3+ multiplier, indicating word of mouth was pretty good. So I don't buy the notion that this is a response to the first movie. Also, not a reflection of THIS movie's word of mouth cause that doesn't kick in until weekend two, or the first Saturday at the earliest in really extreme cases. Friday is too low to indicate fan-demand-esque frontloading. Audiences aren't typically swayed by bad reviews. So what's going on here? 

Audiences are very much swayed by bad reviews post COVID though. And these are ACTUAL bad reviews, not just "this isn't Citizen Kane but is fun for fans". WOM got out that this movie sucked very early.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Audiences are very much swayed by bad reviews post COVID though. And these are ACTUAL bad reviews, not just "this isn't Citizen Kane but is fun for fans". WOM got out that this movie sucked very early.

Jurassic World Dominion and more suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Driver said:

Audiences very much are swayed by bad reviews depending on the context. This isn't a Godzilla movie where the audience doesn't give a shit and just expects a subpar plot with monsters punching each other. People genuinely like the first movie and think it's a genius film, still baffling to me but this is the reality. People who want to see a sequel were and still are paying attention to critical reception and it did matter. It getting mediocre reviews out of Venice mattered. It was already a movie that needed to be sold, people that knew about it being a musical and were wary needed to be assured that it was good. People who thought it was a perfect one and done needed to be assured. And they didn't get that assurance. There was no festival hype momentum to ride. So interest was low. And then audience WOM is poisonous right now and that's gonna be the final nail, but it just fell on its face last month and never got up again.

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Driver said:

Jurassic World Dominion and more suggest otherwise. 

Wow, ONE movie from a 30 year old series that was literally viewed as the very last of its series (until they immediately announced a sequel afterwards because Hollywood).

There's plenty of cases post COVID where movies that got crummy reviews also crumbled because of inflation. "Critics hate it but I'm still seeing it" was a pre-COVID mindset.