Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I actually prefer the film ending of Watchmen compared to the comic book version, I don't think the comic book ending would have worked on screen. 

Some of the best adaptations actually do make changes or cuts even if the fans don't like it, The Mist for example has a more morbid ending, Lord of the Rings even though the films are long had to cut a lot to make it less unwieldy.

Yeah, even great TV adaptions like Game of Thrones or the Handmaid's Tale make pretty big changes in order to work on screen.

The only time I really complain about changes are when I think they're nonsensical or go against the spirit of the source material.  Such as with the Hobbit series, it overly lengthens the rather short and to the point novel, and adds a bunch of nonsense (such as Radagast and the bunny sled, or surfing through molten gold so there could be an action set piece instead of Bilbo tricking Smaug out of the mountain, and so on).

1 minute ago, El Panda Machos said:

Yeah, even great TV adaptions like Game of Thrones or the Handmaid's Tale make pretty big changes in order to work on screen.

GoT has had to make changes or write new material as they've run out of novels due to George RR Martin being a slow writer! 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

GoT has had to make changes or write new material as they've run out of novels due to George RR Martin being a slow writer! 

That's true, it's unique to the situation.  But they were making changes before that, cutting characters and condensing a few plotlines, because even for a TV Series the books get to inflated with characters to translate well on screen.

was told the 4-min footage playing with Annabelle 'brought the house down' at press screenings - getting even bigger reactions than the Annabelle film itself. It's not the same as the SDCC footage.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, antovolk said:

was told the 4-min footage playing with Annabelle 'brought the house down' at press screenings - getting even bigger reactions than the Annabelle film itself. It's not the same as the SDCC footage.

I think if the reviews are strong for IT, the September record is looking likely to broken by at least $5-10m

• Like 3

My 11-year-old daughter asked me if she could watch this trailer and I was astounded she'd even heard of it.  Of course, I said no, but I have no idea where she picked up on there even being a movie about a killer clown out.  

On the adaptation front, I always thought the first two Harry Potter movies were really faithful adaptations, and yet, managed not to capture a lot of the actual feel of the books.  Sometimes, you can be TOO deferential to the source material.  I loved the book, but I'd rather see something that is faithful to the "spirit" of the book than necessarily recreating it scene-by-scene, line-by-line.  I have to admit, I was really skeptical at first with this.  Some of the early promo stuff looked pretty questionable, but dang if the teaser and trailer haven't been outstanding.  If they bring that feel to the whole movie, look out.  Hoping to hear good reviews for this one.  I think it will make money, regardless, but it would be great to have one of King's iconic stories that really lives up to the potential (RIP Dark Tower).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

So are you saying that every screening of Annabelle is going to have four minutes of IT playing before it? If that's the case I'm going to see Annabelle on Thursday night.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

So are you saying that every screening of Annabelle is going to have four minutes of IT playing before it? If that's the case I'm going to see Annabelle on Thursday night.

Domestically that should be the case, yes - 4-min 'exclusive content' with every screening. In the UK this is exclusive to Odeon cinemas.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, antovolk said:

Domestically that should be the case, yes - 4-min 'exclusive content' with every screening. In the UK this is exclusive to Odeon cinemas.

Wait, really? Huh well that's a plus to already going to Annabelle anyway.

Edit: https://trailer-track.com/2017/08/03/in-the-pipeline-4-minutes-of-exclusive-it-footage-on-the-way-to-cinemas-next-week/

Yep, looks like it's true. Huh cool!

Edited by somebody85
  • Thanks 1

Well this makes me very excited now. I don't think I'll be able to see it tonight because I get off of work too late but I will be seeing it for sure this weekend

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

My 11-year-old daughter asked me if she could watch this trailer and I was astounded she'd even heard of it.  Of course, I said no, but I have no idea where she picked up on there even being a movie about a killer clown out.  

You'd be surprised how informed kids that age are these days. My sister told us that her 10-year-old asked her what sex was the other day :sick: The internet's a dangerous place.

• Like 1

My 11-year-old daughter asked me if she could watch this trailer and I was astounded she'd even heard of it. Of course, I said no, but I have no idea where she picked up on there even being a movie about a killer clown out.

Not surprising, IT is huge on social media right now.

The IT miniseries is pretty tame for horror, you can show her that if she is really interested.

17 minutes ago, nick64 said:

You'd be surprised how informed kids that age are these days. My sister told us that her 10-year-old asked her what sex was the other day :sick: The internet's a dangerous place.

What's bad about a 10 year old knowing what sex is?  By that age I think they should at least know

• Like 2

3 hours ago, That Floating Guy said:

What's bad about a 10 year old knowing what sex is?  By that age I think they should at least know

Are you a parent?  All due respect, but unless you are perhaps you don't really have a right to an informed opinion on this subject.

And each parent is different.  Some might be comfortable with it and others aren't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Are you a parent?  All due respect, but unless you are perhaps you don't really have a right to an informed opinion on this subject.

And each parent is different.  Some might be comfortable with it and others aren't.

I dunno.  We were educated on sex at my school in 4th grade (9/10), so I assumed it was fine for that age range?  My mom also told me how babies were made when I was like 5.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching it early, especially because it's a natural part of human life

• Like 2

3 hours ago, That Floating Guy said:

I dunno.  We were educated on sex at my school in 4th grade (9/10), so I assumed it was fine for that age range?  My mom also told me how babies were made when I was like 5.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching it early, especially because it's a natural part of human life

Well, there's more to sex than just reproduction.  There's pregnancy, AIDS and other STD's.  I too was taught at an early age, but that's my parents.  Other parents don't think their kids need to know about it that early.  Neither opinion is wrong., imo

• Like 2

Fuck it, while we're on the topic of sex education, my school had almost the worst sex Ed ever, to the point where after the presenters left, my grade 8 biology teacher actually came in front of the class, said that it was crap and gave the class his own presentation.

"It would be unwise to use a condom since they are ineffective at preventing pregnancy or infection. The only way to avoid it is abstinence."

So this one girl asks what other methods of birth control are and the presenters wouldn't answer, they said "it does not matter as none of the methods are effective other than abstaining from sex."

Like I felt like I was watching mean girls. And it's not like this was a bunch of 10 year olds, we were all 13/14

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2