Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

4 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Actually I also have this to contribute:

maxresdefault.jpg

mArn6va.jpg

well that's what happens when you go from 200M to 100M. Downgrade in every way possible...cheap visuals, cheap action, cheap story, cheap actors...yeah..Boyega ain't all that. After TFA, guy should have chosen something else..stupid.

Will make money in China and some asian markets but boy quality wise I will be shocked if this gets even 50% on RT. If this beats Valerian critically then I know that critics are morally bankrupt. Commercially though, no one can beat Luc Besson's stupidity. 

Edited by marveldcfox

So far, the monster design that was revealed is the first thing I've seen that I actually like about this. The rest needs improvement.

I guess I'll find out later tonight after MLP: The Movie since I'll be working while the trailer for this premieres.

Edited by NoobSaibot

7 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

Wow I saw the full trailer when I went to see Blade Runner. It was awful, the visuals were such a downgrade. Honestly almost felt like an asylum parody of the first one (I know there's already one with Atlantic Rim). The dialogue sounded dumb as hell and it looked way too corny. 

@aabattery

This looks almost exactly like a Spy Kids movie.

Starring Scott Eastwood whom I can see becoming the staple of Asylum parodies in a few years when Hollywood realizes that they don't have Clint 2.0 on their hands. 

3 hours ago, Hades said:

It does not look that much worse than the cgi seen in Thor 3, Spiderman Homecoming, Justice League. The original tried its best to stay away from daylight scenes

This is what I hoping for at this point. This is obviously a downgrade from the first...like really low. At this point I can only hope the cgi I better than Power Rangers. Need to see the full trailer myself still.

The kaiju look really cool though.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

well that's what happens when you go from 200M to 100M. Downgrade in every way possible...cheap visuals, cheap action, cheap story, cheap actors...yeah..Boyega ain't all that. After TFA, guy should have chosen something else..stupid.

Will make money in China and some asian markets but boy quality wise I will be shocked if this gets even 50% on RT. If this beats Valerian critically then I know that critics are morally bankrupt. Commercially though, no one can beat Luc Besson's stupidity. 

I don't know why they made the sequel to the movie that did just OKish but decision to cut the budget from 200M to 100M is a sound one considering predecessor's boxoffice and no stars. 200M would lead to Assassin's Creed catastrophe. 

9 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

Anyone know why they changed distributors from wb to universal? Just wondering.😊

Because Legendary switched from Warner Brothers to Universal. Godzilla and the MonsterVerse stayed with WB because of a deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I am sure WB had a whole team dedicated to what went wrong with PR1's marketing. That one opened to 37+ and did 100+, while Godzilla opened to 93+. And PR1 imo was the better creature movie.

Honestly... Godzilla is Godzilla. But yes, the marketing for PR1 was pretty terrible. Makes you wonder why they greenlit the movie for almost a 200m budget if they weren't going to market it correctly.

The funny thing is, I bet overall PR2 will be more profitable.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Honestly... Godzilla is Godzilla. But yes, the marketing for PR1 was pretty terrible. Makes you wonder why they greenlit the movie for almost a 200m budget if they weren't going to market it correctly.

The funny thing is, I bet overall PR2 will be more profitable.

If they don't overshoot the budget (100m I believe) than yes. PR1 did 2.1x the prod budget while this one can do 2.5x+ even flopping dom (50 dom + 100 china + 100 rest of os = 250 ww ... and this is conservative I guess.)

Edited by a2knet

Going with 50-60 Dom and 130-150 in China. Another 100-150 from other OS territories. I think LP/UNI win regardless of how the film looks.

NYCC panel can be watched live via collider in 20 minutes:

https://www.google.com/amp/collider.com/pacific-rim-uprising-nycc-panel-watch-online/amp/

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

The only difference between those two pics is the dark tint on the image on top. Let's not pretend that there is a huge difference in "looking cheap" versus "looking expensive," cuz there isn't.