Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

I'm no fan of the first film. It was passable entertainment, it just didn't have characters or a mythology that grabbed me.

For me this is an unnecessary sequel based on if nothing else the lukewarm Domestic box office receipts.

I don't think it "looks cheap", it's biggest sin is it literally looks like the 80s cliche of "more of the same". Right down to John B's character having the speech that was showcased by Idris in the first one. This will have about as much subtle difference in script as Die Hard to Die Hard 2 or Karate Kid 1&2.

It's a pass for me but for those few eager for it, enjoy it, it'll be the last one for sure. I don't see this drawing in any significant new fans. 

48 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

The only difference between those two pics is the dark tint on the image on top. Let's not pretend that there is a huge difference in "looking cheap" versus "looking expensive," cuz there isn't.

The first still (PR1) is actually filmed on a practical set enhanced in post-production so it involved a lot of production design on set (the set of big mechanical arms behind the actors are real, the whole set was built on hydraulics to simulate the cockpit shakes for the actors to act accordingly).

The second still (PR2), they didn't even bother building that entire set again so the actors probably mostly shot on a green screen with a plastic thing with few cables and tubes attached to it above them (cheaper production design), the background seems composited as it looks computer generated unlike the first still. (Once again, it's cheaper than building an actual set, Spy Kids-style). The frontal angle betrays the artificiality of it all with some cheap flare on top that flattens it all whereas the first still's camera angle emphasizes the volumes in the shot providing three dimensional depth, the tangible aspects of the production design and lighting (It looks much better and vivid in terms of contrast and atmosphere). I won't ever delve into the respective costume design's craft...

So, yeah there is a noticeable difference beyond the pure aesthetic sheen between both stills.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Looks as good as the first looked from the initial trailers, but you know  for sure it won’t be as good because dat GDT magic.

That shot of the robots assembling weapons was AWFUL and the director should be ashamed of being associated with it.

I'm not having a problem with anything so far.....except some of the facial expressions lmao.

I can see this being like Valerian, in that no one asked for it, but those of us who see it will think it's just fine. 

• Like 1