baumer

Breaking Dawn does 30.25 mill at midnights!!!

Comparing book sales was an utter stupid thing to do, especially the initial print sales. I mean, what is he trying to say? That BD had better book legs? OF COURSE.The hype and demand for the Deathly Hallows book is insurmountable. Nothing in the history of publishing that's not Potter came within 20% of its opening day sales.

Ray pissed me off when he fucking compared the INITIAL BOOK SALES of DH and BD. That was so fucking stupid on his part.

Exactly! Why are initial sales relevant? Overall sales are probably quite close....I think DH sold about 15M copies and Eclipse like 12M in the States. And twilight gets so much more attention from the media and awards shows like MTV....not to mention Robert Pattison and Taylor Lautner are nearly as popular as the beatles....that contributes immensely to the gross.

Guest TheGrappler

one example of this is how whenever Twilight movies take a big drop in their second weekend, HP fans are quick to laugh and tell about how bad the WOM is. But when HP movies take a huge drop in their second weekend, that is just because of "Frontloadedness". Hypocrisy at its finest. And the HP fans have the gall to talk about people "undermining" their success, when that is all many of them do

You make it sound like the 3D/IMAX added $10m, when it didn't.

No I didn't.

I know what the midnight for DH2 was without 3D/IMAX.

My point was it's pointless to compare the two because the same scenario is never going to happen.

Just like it's impossible to compare the Friday opening of DH2 to the Friday opening of BD1.

So I guess these films just do better on the West than the East.On the flip side, Potter always had phenomenal sellouts on the East, but tended to be overestimated because the later west showings were not up to pace.

Ray's correct in pointing out that (domestically) the Twilight franchise has done a better job of maximizing its fan base (in other words, per-fan average). HP is much more successful doing that worldwide, but I don't see why there should be any disagreement or outrage about what he said (and I say that as a non-fan of either franchise).

• Founder / Operator

People strive to put a crown on one or the other out of fandom (or anti-fandom). Ray's assessment is his own opinion, not factual evidence of anything. The mention of book sales and comparing POA's 7-year-old gross to Eclipse just doesn't offer strong perspective on anything.And I say that as someone who usually enjoys his articles, but he's always had inherent qualifiers that downplay Potter's achievements in some way. If you're going to start a paragraph by lambasting people for downplaying a series, don't turn around and end the same paragraph by doing the same thing yourself.Two cents.

Edited by ShawnMR

I am an HP fan, but I won't undermine Twilight's success. I agree that Twilight's Us performance is actually more impressive than HP's. All the HP movies besides 1 and 8 I personally see as underperformers domestically a bit considering the huge popularity of those books.Also, the Twilight movies definitely helped get a large amount of new fans of the books, while the HP movies, not really

one example of this is how whenever Twilight movies take a big drop in their second weekend, HP fans are quick to laugh and tell about how bad the WOM is. But when HP movies take a huge drop in their second weekend, that is just because of "Frontloadedness". Hypocrisy at its finest. And the HP fans have the gall to talk about people "undermining" their success, when that is all many of them do

HP fans do nothing of the sort. From what I can remember, all seem very well aware that both franchises are extremely frontloaded and have always said that. You keep bringing up these generalizations about HP fans that are either unfair or untrue.Regardless, I am SO fricking sick of the HP vs. Twilight crap. Both are huge BO wise, both have a lot of fans, both are frontloaded. Can't we leave it at that and SHUT UP ABOUT IT??!

Um, no it wouldn't. DH2 made 2M from midnight and if those people were unable to see the film in that format they would have went to a normal theater and that 2M would have shrunk to something like 1.4-1.5M. The lack of IMAX brought this down by at most 0.5M....

Well, I disagree. 280 IMAX theaters would have added perhaps another 1.5 mill to it. You're right, 3 mill is too much, but it would have done about 1.5.