A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

50 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Very interesting dailies over the w/e.  From the enormously higher Saturday PTA I gather they paired it with Life for a drive in double feature.  They're going to have to do it again to hit $100m any time soon.

2017/03/24 -     $39,013      506    $77   $99,528,233 94
2017/03/25 -     $338,168    +767%   506    $668   $99,866,401 95
2017/03/26 -        $20,291     -94%   506    $40   $99,886,692 96

It's a lock for $100M now, only needs $114k.

8 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

It's a lock for $100M now, only needs $114k.

It will be very interesting to see just how, exactly, they finally push it past $100m. Even with this weekends epic fudge it still won't get there on its own, but I don't see them giving up now after all the effort they have put into getting it there so far.

Last week the weekday daily numbers averaged a bit over $5k per day, even doubling that this week is only $40k more and I don't see how it keeps all those extra theaters it added next weekend.

Maybe Sony will buy 10000 tickets themselves and give them away, that would pretty much do it.

I'm not trying to name drop here.....BUT....

I've told this story before.....I asked Mario Kassar on Facebook about fudging, and he surprisingly responded to me.  I don't have his response verbatim because he has removed his account from FB in the last few years, but basically he said that all studios fudge a little here and there and frankly none of the competitors really care.  There's all kinds of ways to move money from one picture to the other just so they can hit certain numbers.......he also said that you can do it in minute amounts.....but that's it.  

So whatever Sony is doing with Passengers, has been done for decades with other films and studios.

• Like 1

There's one way to find out.

@Rth and the BeastDid the big Saturday boost for Passengers come from double/triple features or stand alone screenings or both?

Thank you.

Also, for those who don't know.  If films play in a double feature the total gross for both together is credited as the same amount to each film.  

e.g.  If Life and Passengers played as a double feature and the total gross was $250,000 then $250,000 would be credited to Life and $250,000 would be credited to Passengers. 

Edited by DeeCee
Added double feature explanation
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Also, for those who don't know.  If films play in a double feature the total gross for both together is credited as the same amount to each film.  

e.g.  If Life and Passengers played as a double feature and the total gross was $250,000 then $250,000 would be credited to Life and $250,000 would be credited to Passengers. 

That sound a bit crazy, now that only 1.5% of the screen are drive in it has some impact, but back when it was 10% of them and that they were all playing double feature all the time....

I would have thought they would have splitted them 50-50 or in some ways, I'm trying to look for a source on comscore or box office about it, cannot find anything.

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I asked Mario Kassar on Facebook about fudging, and he surprisingly responded to me.  I don't have his response verbatim because he has removed his account from FB in the last few years, but basically he said that all studios fudge a little here and there and frankly none of the competitors really care.  There's all kinds of ways to move money from one picture to the other just so they can hit certain numbers....

I don't anyone thought a competitor would care (at least not to the point to do anything), but that comScore and the people paying more for a movie that reached a certain mark could (and the people loosing money because their movie didn't if it is a case of moving money).

I know that for after theatrical there is usually third part big specialized accounting firm that track all revenues (I imagine co-financier and talent with participation deal and everyone getting residuals do not trust the studios enough)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisTelclear said:

That makes sense.  Was it double billed with Life at your theater?

I don't think so, but I never seen movie getting double billed in that theater, I don't think it is something they do.

1 hour ago, Incarnadine said:

It will be very interesting to see just how, exactly, they finally push it past $100m. Even with this weekends epic fudge it still won't get there on its own, but I don't see them giving up now after all the effort they have put into getting it there so far.

Last week the weekday daily numbers averaged a bit over $5k per day, even doubling that this week is only $40k more and I don't see how it keeps all those extra theaters it added next weekend.

Maybe Sony will buy 10000 tickets themselves and give them away, that would pretty much do it.

When Spectre was at this point it took 2 weeks to get over the mark.  So they probably just nurse it along for another two to three weeks, and quietly ride off into the sunset.

there were single showings of the new Smurf's movie on Saturday from the same studio (Sony/Columbia).  I am pretty sure that gross was given to Passengers.  That being said, Smurfs did about 280k sneak previews.  Is this a good # for sneak previews?  Passengers should be at 99.90 by Friday, and could probably get there with a couple more weeks of second run discount cinema.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnick said:

@trifle SONY Made it and PASSENGERS is closing to 100M mark FINALLY, GREAT

16 (36) Passengers Sony Pictures $397,472 +581% 506 $786   $99,886,692 96

WW total according to the numbers almost 300M

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $99,886,692 Details
International Box Office $200,000,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $299,886,692

:)

5 hours ago, misafeco said:

Nice round international number. :D

5 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

it's an estimated. I'll wait for the actuals.

I think it took Screen Daily's "over $200M" as an estimate.   I'll wait for the actuals as well.  However, it looks like it is going to happen some time in the next several days, in any event.

• Like 1