Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

What about this new trend to release a gazillion movies on Christmas eve/day ?

This is not a new trend. Going back as far as I have been really into movies and movie news (20-someodd years), it's always been a tradition to release a billion new wide releases on Christmas Day/Weekend. Some are giant hits, some do alright business, and some get lost in the shuffle and end up bombing big time. Just the nature of the beast.

• Like 2

This is not a new trend. Going back as far as I have been really into movies and movie news (20-someodd years), it's always been a tradition to release a billion new wide releases on Christmas Day/Weekend. Some are giant hits, some do alright business, and some get lost in the shuffle and end up bombing big time. Just the nature of the beast.

I agree in the sense that some movie get lost in the shuffle... some movies should just open a week earlier or later, or another month altogether.

For example from last year Secret Life of Walter Mitty got lost in the shuffle and only made 52M domestic, whereas I think it deserved a lot more, as it is an underrated masterpiece in my opinion. But to be honest, nov/dec 2013 was crowded as a whole, so I don't know where it could have moved specifically.

As for this year, I think either Annie, Into the Woods, or Night at the Museum 3 (which I think all have potential) will be the "loser" of this Christmas, just because they are all targeted at the same general audience (families).

• Like 2

I agree in the sense that some movie get lost in the shuffle... some movies should just open a week earlier or later, or another month altogether.

For example from last year Secret Life of Walter Mitty got lost in the shuffle and only made 52M domestic, whereas I think it deserved a lot more, as it is an underrated masterpiece in my opinion. But to be honest, nov/dec 2013 was crowded as a whole, so I don't know where it could have moved specifically.

As for this year, I think either Annie, Into the Woods, or Night at the Museum 3 (which I think all have potential) will be the "loser" of this Christmas, just because they are all targeted at the same general audience (families).

Into the Woods won't be the "loser"... it'll likely have critical acclaim, some Oscar buzz in the acting and technical categories, and it's being marketed by Disney. Its target audience is teenage girls and women - not really families, considering how suggestive the play actually is. There's family appeal but it's not the target audience.

Paddington and Annie will be the losers for Christmas 2014. Paddington's based on a British children's book that no one really asked for an adaption of. Annie looks to be a mediocre musical that will likely get lost in the shuffle as Into the Woods ramps up its marketing campaign. 

I think Robin Williams will spark considerable morbid interest in NATM3, much like Heath Ledger did for TDK and Paul Walker is doing for Fast 7. It's a comedic legend's last mainstream comedy - I'm sure Fox will make sure everyone knows Robin Williams is in this. It'll still decline from the second, but $130-140 million DOM is pretty solid considering they waited so long for this. 

Into the Woods is iffy - it could do Les Miserables or Chicago numbers if it's superb and gets insane word of mouth, along with a solid opening weekend. It also needs to develop some serious Oscar buzz in the major categories (acting and BP most likely, director looks too busy while screenplay nods usually don't go to musicals). I'll go with $125 million right now - $150-175 million wouldn't surprise me if Annie bombs hard than expected. 

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - $20 million 

Paddington - $30 million

Selma - $50 million 

Annie - $55 million

Big Eyes - $60 million 

The Gambler - $65 million 

The Interview - $90 million 

American Sniper - $115 million 

Into the Woods - $125 million 

Night at the Museum 3 - $140 million 

Unbroken - $205 million 

Exodus - $220 million 

The Hobbit: There and Back Again - $275 million 

My guess for how December 2014 will end up 

• Like 2

Into the Woods won't be the "loser"... it'll likely have critical acclaim, some Oscar buzz in the acting and technical categories, and it's being marketed by Disney. Its target audience is teenage girls and women - not really families, considering how suggestive the play actually is. There's family appeal but it's not the target audience.

Paddington and Annie will be the losers for Christmas 2014. Paddington's based on a British children's book that no one really asked for an adaption of. Annie looks to be a mediocre musical that will likely get lost in the shuffle as Into the Woods ramps up its marketing campaign. 

I think Robin Williams will spark considerable morbid interest in NATM3, much like Heath Ledger did for TDK and Paul Walker is doing for Fast 7. It's a comedic legend's last mainstream comedy - I'm sure Fox will make sure everyone knows Robin Williams is in this. It'll still decline from the second, but $130-140 million DOM is pretty solid considering they waited so long for this. 

Into the Woods is iffy - it could do Les Miserables or Chicago numbers if it's superb and gets insane word of mouth, along with a solid opening weekend. It also needs to develop some serious Oscar buzz in the major categories (acting and BP most likely, director looks too busy while screenplay nods usually don't go to musicals). I'll go with $125 million right now - $150-175 million wouldn't surprise me if Annie bombs hard than expected. 

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - $20 million 

Paddington - $30 million

Selma - $50 million 

Annie - $55 million

Big Eyes - $60 million 

The Gambler - $65 million 

The Interview - $90 million 

American Sniper - $115 million 

Into the Woods - $125 million 

Night at the Museum 3 - $140 million 

Unbroken - $205 million 

Exodus - $220 million 

The Hobbit: There and Back Again - $275 million 

My guess for how December 2014 will end up 

That Exodus number surprises me. I think that film looks like crap. I liked Gladiator and all, but this doesn't look to have that touch.

• Like 1

Is anyone else worried that this movie might get cancelled?

There have been lots of news reports lately about how no one has seen Kim Jong Un in months. If something really happened, if there was a coup or if he's gravely ill or something, there's a good chance this movie gets pulled.

• Like 2

There have been lots of news reports lately about how no one has seen Kim Jong Un in months. If something really happened, if there was a coup or if he's gravely ill or something, there's a good chance this movie gets pulled.

Cancelled? No. Underwhelming box office? Yes. 

• Like 2

Yeah, they won't cancel the release considering they've already been giving it a full-on promotional effort. But I agree, this will likely be one of the casualties this holiday season, why have elected to release it on Christmas Day is odd.

Although all of the controversy over this makes me wonder: did the studio not know what they were getting into when the gave it the greenlight and didn't at all think, "yeah, this is so not gonna go over well with North Korea?" Or did they just put their blind faith in Rogen/Franco without hearing a pitch? They should've known that this premise was going to be extremely controversial.

• Like 2

If Kim Jong Un is actually gravely ill or had a major health concern or something, there is a pretty good chance the movie may be indefinitely delayed and dumped into theaters in March or something. Pretty similar to what happened with the movie "Big Trouble" post 9/11.

• Like 2

If Kim Jong Un is actually gravely ill or had a major health concern or something, there is a pretty good chance the movie may be indefinitely delayed and dumped into theaters in March or something. Pretty similar to what happened with the movie "Big Trouble" post 9/11.

I remember watching some movie called Elevator (or something like that) that was supposed to come out that week. When I saw it a few years later, it was obvious why they pulled it.

• Like 2