Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

This is a horrible start and very surprising given the confidence Disney had releasing this a month early. Could just be unlucky with the reviewers and a larger sample size will see it rise. But not good at all.

Yeah I would definitely not say that these reviews are from a super harsh set of critics, and even the positive ones aren't all that glowing. Plus reading into the actual content it confirms a lot of the fears that I had from the trailers. Was hoping Mangold would bring something special to this but my hype is definitely diminished. 

• Like 1

Disney are idiots, what can I say. Unless it's one of those cases when audience reception is gonna be amazing while critics' is not, which is what mislead Disney to do early Cannes premiere, but looking at all the hate around the movie I doubt that.

I'm not surprised. Mangold is a weird director. When he goes for Oscars (Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Ford v Ferrari) the results are exceptional. When he goes for broad adventure (Knight & Day, The Wolverine) the reception is typically middling. Logan was so good because he was combining those two modes. 

Edited by tonytr87

I wish I could say that this movie not doing too hot with critics means we could definitely debunk the notion that test screenings are the end all be all, but if Disney does their screenings in-house, then I guess that doesn’t confirm much. 

34 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah I would definitely not say that these reviews are from a super harsh set of critics, and even the positive ones aren't all that glowing. Plus reading into the actual content it confirms a lot of the fears that I had from the trailers. Was hoping Mangold would bring something special to this but my hype is definitely diminished. 

As others have said, if Disney tries something new there is backlash. If they dont there is backlash. I dont think Indiana Jones itself was setup for making many movies. So they keep going back to same formula. It makes better sense as TV series. 

I wonder when Disney will announce National Treasure 3. I found the 1st one wildly entertaining and I enjoyed the 2nd one despite its many faults. 

Hahaha oh man one of these!  This is the content I crave.

6 hours ago, Maggie said:

wtf is wrong with Variety

lol

5 hours ago, Eric Toretto said:

If Star Wars nerds actually grew up and realized Last Jedi was the bomb diggity, none of this would have ever happened. It's insane how much that one movie has damaged our blockbuster culture into being the most sterile and generic it's ever been.

While I think that was a mess of a movie, I'll agree that Hollywood definitely took the wrong lessons from it.

3 hours ago, SoSaysI said:

This should be the nail in Kathleen Kennedy’s coffin if reviews continue down this path and it isn’t successful. 

At this point Kathleen Kennedy isn't going anywhere unless shes forcibly dragged away kicking and screaming.

4 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

You think Disney would premiere - with reviews - a big franchise film that tested poorly 42 days before release?

DIAL OF DESTINY had no public test screenings.

Two possibilities:

1) People in Disney are genuinely deluded enough to think the movie is good when it is hot trash

2) Iger knows that the movie is shit and he wants to parade that fact out to everyone. He wants this movie to fail hard so that he finally has a reason to fire Kennedy (even though by now you have to be stupid to want to work with her with her track record of firing creatives). The fact that trades are shitting on the movie is shocking as they are usually shills, which suggests that they have been ordered to shit on the movie by someone. 

Edited by scytheavatar

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

As others have said, if Disney tries something new there is backlash. If they dont there is backlash. I dont think Indiana Jones itself was setup for making many movies. So they keep going back to same formula. It makes better sense as TV series. 

I wonder when Disney will announce National Treasure 3. I found the 1st one wildly entertaining and I enjoyed the 2nd one despite its many faults. 

They just need to make something good and there will be no backlash. It's a simple concept isn't it? New doesn't necessarily mean it can be trash. 

Call me square. I’m extremely excited for this. Maybe even more so than Across the Spider-Verse. I actually think Mangold will prove that he pulled it off after all.

And we rating standing ovations now? Okay, we are rating standing ovations now.

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If this movie really plays it safe, then that’s a bit of a surprise coming from James Mangold. 

I think Mangold is a pretty competent guy (haven't seen his Wimona movie), but nothing about his filmography implies someone he's someone who would have any problem playing it safe