CJohn

F9: The Fast Saga | June 25, 2021 | Pray to your Dom Shrine! | Coming to Cannes!

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Uh... by "genius blockbuster" I mean... I would rather go back and watch any Bay movie from the 1990s than almost any Hollywood blockbuster from the last 10 (or possibly even 20) years... There's a style and brash attitude there in the filmmaking that is wonderful entertainment, no matter how "stupid" the films may seem...  and top quality tech credits and practical effects that aren't glossed over by copious CGI and "digital glossing."

I would definitely say that Bay’s pre-Transformers films are better than his post-Transformers films, but at best, I’d put them on the level of the Fast & Furious franchise. 

On 5/22/2021 at 11:41 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Probably won't watch this until I get vaccinated (I was going to before but seems not worth it anymore). Likely won't watch it in cinemas at all if something more interesting comes out by the time I get vaccinated (maybe Green Knight at the end of next month). Hoping this opens below $50 mil dom just so it releases earlier on PVOD and I don't have to wait over a month to watch this lol.

I lied. Watching this in half an hour.

There's some crazy stuff but this is so stylistically inert and lacks the propulsion of 5,6, and 7. The other Lin films (except the 4th one, which I haven't seen) genuinely felt like films that was actually directed by someone and this doesn't. This felt more like the kind of shit Russo brothers would make. I wonder if the problem with the movie is the level of influence Vin Diesel likely had on it. Still had some fun and nowhere near as bad as that garbage that are Hobbs and Shaw and F8.

And the instrumental score in this was so annoying. I'd easily have preferred if they used more generic hip-hop songs in this.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 2:01 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Charlize continues to be criminally wasted, with a couple of dialogue scenes here so embarrassing I actually watched through half-closed eyes

I think I know which scene you're talking about and I had the exact same reaction lmao. Why did they have to dedicate an entire scene to just making stupid references?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's some crazy stuff but this is so stylistically inert and lacks the propulsion of 5,6, and 7. The other Lin films (except the 4th one, which I haven't seen) genuinely felt like films that was actually directed by someone and this doesn't. This felt more like the kind of shit Russo brothers would make. I wonder if the problem with the movie is the level of influence Vin Diesel likely had on it. Still had some fun and nowhere near as bad as that garbage that are Hobbs and Shaw and F8.

And the instrumental score in this was so annoying. I'd easily have preferred if they used more generic hip-hop songs in this.

You speak as though the Russo Brothers are bland filmmakers who didn't give us the highest grossing movie of all time aswell as some of the most positively recieved blockbusters of our era. 

The Russo brothers didn't deliver us all those great movies just to be compared to Justin fucking Lin

• Like 1

Justin Lin and the Russos both worked together on Community in Season 1. I doubt either would be bothered by comparisons. And let’s be real, Both have made some really fun movies and both have made some really not fun movies!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It just felt like they decided to add everything they could think of into the movie without any thought as to how it makes sense. The sense of fun from F5, 6 and 7 was definitely missing.