Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

really pleased with myself that i got chris washington without looking it up. then again i could name like 7 avatar characters.

Great memory. I don't remember anyone even if i loved all these movies.  

It's weird because i remember entire sequences of all these movies but i can't think of one single name without looking on Google.

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Maybe 10 years ago but this is not really the case anymore, we are in an ever increasingly online society... gen Z is like terminally online.  Now I'm not saying your boomer parents or a majority of normies are watching movie reviews on youtube, but to simply dismiss "online culture" such as twitter or youtube as a bubble with no impact at all on narratives or public opinion on things just isn't accurate or the State Department and 3 letter government agencies wouldn't be getting involved in online censorship and the control of information in such aggressive ways right now.  I don't watch any of them(except RLM), but quite a few of these youtubers have many millions of subscribers and get many, many times of the amount of viewers a review in traditional media such as the NYT ever get.

Yeah, that was more just hyperbole to get my point across. The internet as a whole isn't a bubble, I agree, but I'd also agree with what @ThomasNicole has said, in that it is — or has increasingly become — a conglomeration of thousands of separate bubbles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Titanic is really the only film phenomenon where everyone knows who "Jack and Rose" are. I bet in some countries people don't know who Kate Winslet is except that she's Rose. 

Mmmm I disagree 

Not including movies where the character's name is in the title (Indiana Jones, Superhero movies, Harry Potter, etc) 

There's Jack Sparrow, Neo, Tyler Durden, Sarah Connor, Hannibal Lector, Kevin McAllister, Elle Woods, Ellen Ripley, Vito, Scarlett O'Hara, all the OG Star Wars characters... I would say anyone who has watched those movies remembers the character's name. 

I'm not saying it matters that people don't know the characters 'name in Avatar (even though funny enough that's the one thing I do remember from Avatar) but I think a major factor in whether a character's name is remembers is if the story is more character oriented vs plot driven. (also how many times their name is said in the movie lmao. ) 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes i know, that's why the views are so fragmented.

Still, it's not really a wise decision to drop it in a channel without any popularity, people have to search for it instead of just receive notification from big channels like Marvel Studios.

eh. 
1. Ofc they should release on Avatar channel, that is how it get subs, not by just sitting around

2. If you watch a lot of trailers, You Tube will recommend you most of new ones. I just opened You Tube and it was 1st video in recommendation. In fact I just did open now and
image.png

3. Views don't really matter for this one since they are diluted being shown with a movie. Also its just a look into world. The actual trailer which I imagine will be in September is what that matter. Or not even, they could just release the movie lol and that will pretty much be ok.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes i know, that's why the views are so fragmented.

Still, it's not really a wise decision to drop it in a channel without any popularity, people have to search for it instead of just receive notification from big channels like Marvel Studios.

The search Algorism is also a little problematic , at some point this morning I searched for "Avatar 2 trailer" on YT and the official video is like the 15th in the results that came up...

3 Billion is possible I think. People aged 25-55 will have interest in this, even if Gen Z doesn’t remember the original. Just wondering if people are itching for the shiny new franchise after some mixed results of the MCU’s latest phase. Avatar could be the hot franchise of the 2020’s in the way Marvel was for the 10’s and Harry Potter was for the 00’s. 

Looks stunning. The visuals and music together (with Jake's ending line) really make the teaser work.

As I've said, the potential is there for this to be an incredibly immersive and impactful experience and story, as the original was - and in turn, while no guarantee, to do gangbusters at the box office. From the teaser I already have a sense of the themes that may resonate strongly across the world.

The potential is exciting... we'll see if Cameron pulls it off, and the story is able to pull in audiences in the same way it did last time. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

There's that reddit post chronicling a lecture by a fox executive that proposes an answer/tries to explain to the culture relevance question

Now it is often asked why is Avatar so forgotten over the past several years? This is apparently a deliberate decision by Cameron. He had thousands of offers to do toys, animated series, more video games, etc. And he deliberately turned it down. For one I don't think he had much interest in trying to run that empire that Lucas had for years (was more into deep sea diving and organic wine haha) and two they knew they were so over exposed in 2010 that they had to retreat from the market until the sequels were almost ready.

Anyone who thinks Jim doesn't have this planned out meticulously isn't paying attention.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Anyone who thinks Jim doesn't have this planned out meticulously isn't paying attention.

your previous profile pic was funnier

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

Let me start off by saying other than avatar I like cameron's film work. I think he's a great director. However he hasn't directed a film in 13 years and makes me feel he might be a bit rusty considering the scope and the budget. Even in the 12 year gap between Titanic and Avatar he did documentaries.

This "He hasn't directed in 13 years" is the kind of linear thinking that everyone needs to try to open their minds to move away from.  Of course Cameron was "directing" these pictures...multiple entries, over a series of years on and off, while technology advanced.  AND doing all the other projects he's been doing over the last decade.  "He might be a bit rusty."  😅  Unfortunately this is what linear short-term thinking and instantaneous internet teaches us -- to expect instant gratification and instant comparison to every other film/filmmaker out there.  Cameron has already proved his relevance and innovation in the field 10 times over, and I expect that he will blast back expectations yet again.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

This "He hasn't directed in 13 years" is the kind of linear thinking that everyone needs to try to open their minds to move away from.  Of course Cameron was "directing" these pictures...multiple entries, over a series of years on and off, while technology advanced.  AND doing all the other projects he's been doing over the last decade.  "He might be a bit rusty."  Unfortunately this is what linear short-term thinking and instantaneous internet teaches us -- to expect instant gratification and instant comparison to every other film/filmmaker out there.  Cameron has already proved his relevance and innovation in the field 10 times over, and I expect that he will blast back expectations yet again.  

I read so many takes like that online in reference to JC. Time and time again I just think to myself "yeah, it's thinking like that which is the reason Cameron is currently sat in an editing bay in his million dollar ranch in NZ and you're stuck with the rest of us posting on some niche internet forum". It's like come on folks, has he not proved himself enough?!

• Like 1